View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 10:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
Bror Jace
Recycling Nazi

Blue Bullet - '06 Honda Civic Sedan LX
90 day: 35.68 mpg (US)
With 2+ decades of driving in the snow with everything from sub-compact cars to full size, lifted 4WD trucks, my all-time favorite was my 1995 Civic DX Coupe with 4 Nokia Hakkepelita snow tires. I used to cruise down a 3-lane highway at 5:30am in 4" of powder. Car felt like a snowmobile. The only thing about this car that could have been better was more ground clearance so it didn't 'plow' deep snow. It took a blizzard and massive snow drifts to get me stuck ... once.

However, one spring I took off the snows too early then put just the front two back on to deal with a late season storm ... the amazing little car became almost undriveable and I looped it twice on the way to work. A FWD car with snows up front and summer and/or bald tires on the rear becomes too tail-happy and it wants to come around on you as you brake or downshift.

99 times out of 100 when I hear someone complain about the car in snow, I assume it's the driver. Either a lack of skill, some really bad habits and/or a lack of confidence in inclement weather.