View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 12:45 AM   #30 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
All I found so far said put the good ones on the back re: hydroplaning. Tire Tech Information - Where to Install New Pairs of Tires?

I don't suffer hydroplaning conditions, but do snow and ice. Still looking...

Edit: More: http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...o/4243992.html

"Some tire stores insist on installing two new tires on the rear wheels of vehicles when the fronts are worn, and moving the old rear tires to the front—much to the dismay of many customers who want the new tires on the front. So, who’s right?

Actually, I agree with the stores, as do the tire companies. Here’s why: In dry, clear weather it really doesn’t make much difference. But if the road is wet, the new, full-treaded tires are less likely to lose traction than the partly worn ones. If you’re hauling ants down the road and come to a wet curve, the full-treaded tires on the rear will stay behind you, where they belong.

If the rear tires have less tread, there’s a greater chance that they will slip, putting your rear bumper into the ditch. Okay, if the front tires skid, there’s the chance you might go off the road, too—but at least it’ll be headfirst, where your seatbelts and airbags offer more protection."

OK, this and some other things I've found cite loss of control on corners in the wet in the "oversteering" mode as worse than "understeering" mode. Oh well- as a long-time VW/Corvair pilot, I'm accustomed to oversteering tendencies so don't find them scary or unexpected. As one who, as mentioned, doesn't really ever see hydroplaning conditions (ain't going fast enough!) but do see snow and ice (and we are talking about snow and ice) I want the traction for go and whoa more than cornering. Plus, I don't rotate tires on any regular basis so having the deeper treaded ones on the front tends to even things out in the end.

Interesting comments here: http://blog.marketplace.nwsource.com...t_or_back.html I'm like the Ohioans and Alaskans: Getting that thing going is tougher and more likely a problem then sliding butt-first off a corner.

Guess I'm too old-school to change in that department. I believe motorists should be able to handle oversteer- and that's decidedly old-school. Anyway, when I die in a flaming wreck on the far side of that turn (there is only one turn in N.D.) my last thought will be "Christ! Why didn't I listen to Christ!"

So YMMV.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 04-22-2009 at 01:17 AM..