View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #31 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
boost or foul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Phew! Guys, that was some colorful analysis!

I am somewhat OK using premium fuel for the sake of FE as the difference in prices is actually closer to ~40c. The questions are, will full premium boost FE or simply increase chances of engine foul up? Will a blend be better? What ratio?

My ambient temp is on the rise gradually and would be anything between 90 to 120 deg. now for about 4 months. Having to haul kids and stuff in the heat of the summer for leisure activities is not helping either, and probably is going to pull me below 50 mpg for this tank. But one does not lose faith or enthusiasm so soon, after getting such spirited support! Keep it up guys!
hummingbird,my thought now,is that there are so many variables in your driving environment,that even if the fuel could alter your cars performance,it would be lost in the scatter of all these other variables.Seems like it would almost require a laboratory environment to sort it all out.I don't think premium can foul anything but your purse,if the car will operate satisfactorily on a less expensive grade of fuel.