View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 12:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Hugh Jim Bissel
EcoModding Lurker

Connie - '00 Kawasaki Concours

Good Vibe-rations - '03 Pontiac Vibe GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
Turbines do not like changing speeds. It generally takes quite a while (relatively speaking) for them to spool up or down to higher or lower power levels. They aren't a very good fit for an automotive application, generally.
Sounds like a properly sized (ie 20-30 HP) one could be good for an electric car as a built in range extender or on a pusher trailer. Electric only for around town and getting up to speed on the highway, then if it's too long of a trip for the batteries, fire up the turbine till it's time to get off the highway.

I wonder what sort of efficiency that would have compared to a similar sized (HP/torque) piston engine?

Sorry if this is taking this off-topic thread too far off-topic

Since you do claim this is "not FE friendly" to stay on topic I'll have it on the record that I agree with theunchosen:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunchosen View Post
I would definitely sacrifice my ability to stay in the lead for the first 1.5 seconds of a 0-60, 1/4 pull for the ability to do 0-60 in 3 flat, the ability to do 200 in a 1/4 mile and the ability to crank out 250 mph over winning the first 1.5 seconds.