View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #45 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I too have become disgusted with what new cars have become, and am on the path to building my own. I found it pathetic that when I looked to replace my 1993 Civic Sedan, nothing beat it for performance (I have a B20B with integra LS tranny), mpg, insurance cost, and parts/maintenance costs. Thanks to a tuned ECU I see 30-33 mpg average from a 2300# LX sedan.
As a japanese engine importer in the past, I found my business under extreme scrutiny for just importing used engines. A myriad of rules and regulations regarding small diesel engines rated by output, size and age, etc. I regularily compared myself with Nicholas Cage in "lord of war", because it seemed it was that bad at times dealing with government BS and all the grey areas in the regulations.
You wouldn't believe the crap that car makers have to go thru between the EPA, USDOT "safety requirements"-think all the liability and lawyer crap we have here, and the patent system...yes the patent system. US automakers and oil companies have been on the ball with buying up and burying technology by scarfing up the patent rights as new and competitive things come along.
Its cheaper for them not to have to develop new tech for cars if they do it unilaterally.

In I think 67(its 63 my bad) Chrysler released 200 turboshaft driven cars. Got equivalent gas mileage for a large family car but had no issues starting in the cold and reached optimum engine temperature in seconds. Considering small turboshafts output 1.4 hp/lb you might want to look at one for your power plant. They are inefficient outside of high rpm so you would want to make sure the gears put you at 35, 45 and 60-70 at the top end of a gear(where the gear can handle because the turbine can handle alot more rpms)

to get 70 hp you would only need theoretically a 50 lb engine(opposed to 200+ for whats in the insight). Might be hard to find but there are smaller ones that could be siwtched to turboshaft and coupled.