HybridPony: 1999 Ford Mustang V6
Displacement: 3.8 L
Fuel type: gasoline
Transmission: automated manual
Curb weight: 3134 lbs
Coefficient of drag: 0.34
Frontal area: 22.11 sq.ft.
Instrumentation: custom
Description: Stock Dark Green Hardtop bought 2nd hand from dealer when previous car stolen - YIKES!! (1992 5.0L Mustang convertible - nice car but terrible mileage) Really liked the Mustang (apparently sentiment shared by others) so easy choice to get another one but with slightly more efficient engine.

PHOTOS:
Upper Left - Brake Vacuum Manifold + check valves
Upper Right - Trunk mounted PLC Rack
Lower Left - Manu-Matic Shifter console
Lower Right - Transmission simulator module

HybridPony Album
Build Thread:
Current Mods: Baseline Economy measured at exactly EPA combined rating - Daily commute 64kms round-trip with 50% highway and 50% city distances. I found the noise from the power steering pump really annoying (typical Ford problem in these years - louder than the rest of the engine at slow speeds so...

MOD 1) Bypass Power Steering Pump - shorter belt to isolate PSPump pulley. Awesome, pure engine sound and discovered car could now go up a highway grade that would previously make the transmission drop out of TCC lock-up. So more power available and measured 6% mpg improvement. Side effect parking lot steering effort now unpleasantly high so....

MOD 2) Tires increased to sidewall maximum 50PSI - parking steering effort now OK and highway steering really nice and firm - this also reduced the rolling resistance a lot and when combined with....

MOD 3) deleted backseat, stripped out trunk panels, deleted rear spoiler, spare tire / jack (I've never had a flat while driving) and fill the tank only half-full for total weight reduction 250lbs. Mods 2+3 result in additional 10% mpg improvement.

MOD 4) Custom PLC controlled conversion to full Manu-Matic transmission. Another 10% gain and awesome to use! This includes a custom sequential shifter and TCC lock control lever (located just behind the original floor shifter) complete with shift pressure control EPC and transmission solenoid simulators for the PCM (no DTC codes)

MOD 5) Guest mode - if you just get in the car everything goes back to factory defaults operation (extra controls disabled) so if the car has to go into the shop I don't have to explain how to make the car work (everything except PSPump bypass - although an electric clutch on the pump pulley would be nice)

MOD 6) Rewire "O/D Off" button on original shifter to act as compression-downshift signal to PLC when I intend to select linkage 2nd or 1st (rather than solenoid selected 2nd or 1st) which require completely different mapping. Selecting 1st while moving with the factory map is a big mistake in this year/model of the mustang (i.e. WHACK!!)

MOD 7) On-the-fly Alternator disable control + A/C compressor bypass in DEFROST control

MOD 8) Keyless PCM Cut-out + keyless Starter

MOD 9) Custom Fuel Flowrate computer with Rear Wheel Horsepower Display and Transmission Gear Display

MOD 10) Replaced 2-button console side rail with 8-button enhanced console side rail.

MOD 11) Idle Air Valve Control and Simulator - this makes a huge improvement in shift quality (while in Manu-Matic), eliminates the "hanging-idle" a side-effect of the throttle follower logic used by the PCM, has corrected the neutral coasting idle variations (PCM only reduces the IAC command when the car is stopped), has made the sitting idle much smoother/slower and gives me control over the excessive high starting idle period. Awesome!! The overall drivability improvement is amazing and the FE improvement appears to be another 10%!!!

MOD 12) Removed passenger seat - 40lb weight reduction and this makes wiring into the PCM way easier (only 4 bolts to re-install) and now its a single seater (even starting to look like a stock car inside (excellent!!) Curb weight now only 2872lbs.

MOD 13) Added direct oxygen sensor monitor and display

MOD 14) Installed trailer hitch (adds 30lb) but now I won't have to rent a truck (etc) which saves money and improves what would have been a lower "fleet" average FE.

MOD 15) Installed DRL LED lights to reduce total running 12V demand on alternator to 14A from approximately 24A reducing fuel consumed for 12V power generation.

***Non-EcoMods: Built-in-Seat warmer / Tail Light Sequencer / Code Entry Door Unlock

Planned Mods: Micro Hybrid Type 2 Plug-In
BAS Alternator Hybrid
Regen braking
Paddle Shifters
Injector Bypass / Simulator
Electric Brake Vacuum Pump
Electric Transmission Hydraulic Pressure Pump
Official Fuel Economy Ratings
EPA city 17 mpg(US)
EPA highway 25 mpg(US)
EPA combined 20 mpg(US)

Actual Fuel Economy Performance
Lifetime 27.75 mpg(US)
Last 3 tanks 29.34 mpg(US)
90 days 29.25 mpg(US)
View Fuel Log
Last updated: Mar 27, 2024

(Created: 2013-06-02 23:36:18 / Modified: 2024-03-27 21:37:57)