Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2015, 02:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SuperVX - '94 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 52.17 mpg (US)
Your best bets are changing wheel/tire overall diameter for a bit more gearing or switching out the NA6 4.3 gears for NA8/NB8 gears of 4.1. The newer NB8(the VVT engine I believe) run 3.91 gears and the 6 speed Mazdaspeed tranny ran 3.63.

The 1.6L was geared extremely low for performance and acceleration around the roads/track at 4.3. It tops out at about 125mph and that's fuel cutout limited at redline....not drag related or governored....That's all she is geared to do.

On the highway though, only the 6 speed is going to give noticeable results with a different tranny, as they all use the same final gear ratio minus the 6 speeds. 0.81 vs. 0.84, so drag reduction and a larger diameter wheel/tire setup are generally cheaper and simpler methods of getting better gearing(while throwing the speedo off obviously).

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #22 (permalink)
RPM
EcoModding Lurker

JF - '97 Honda Civic 1.5i LS VTEC (EK3)
Team Honda
90 day: 59.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspif View Post
Taller gears in the Mitata could turn the zippy chassis into a boring Saturn real quick. Those cars are geared low to aid the weak engine and make it "feel" stronger. Loading the engine with taller gears could turn it into a dog real quick. It may hold it's own on the highway but it might not be able to get out of it's own way at a red light which might kill it for the driving experience you are looking for. Maybe a Miata would be a better 2nd car than primary?
That would be my vote. The noise and harshness are tiring and habit will make the driving feel banal, it'll be your "new normal". If you only drive it once in a while it will feel more special.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ture-2117.html

I did what you are thinking. You can do it, and plenty of modifications can be done that are fun, invisible or look good, and will net you better mileage. I support you

I do see the reasoning from others, a fun car can become boring if driven daily, but a fun car used for daily tasks makes each boring day more fun.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ol' Reliable - '02 Saturn SL2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM View Post
That would be my vote. The noise and harshness are tiring and habit will make the driving feel banal, it'll be your "new normal". If you only drive it once in a while it will feel more special.
You see, noise and harshness have never bothered me. Some of my favorite daily drivers I've ever owned were rude, crude and absolutely teeming with 'character' (though often time atrocious on fuel ). A vehicle with 'soul' is very appealing to me; it's one of the big reasons I commute by motorcycle as much as possible (having 100+hp in a 450lb package while still knocking down 57mpg doesn't hurt either ). My big problem is that I drive roughly 500mi a week so some of my favorite 'soulful' cars could easily end up costing me $100+/wk in fuel and I just can't swallow that kind of cost with a wife and 3 kids to take care of; priorities you know.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
RPM
EcoModding Lurker

JF - '97 Honda Civic 1.5i LS VTEC (EK3)
Team Honda
90 day: 59.68 mpg (US)
Kudos to you then! It was pretty easy to get over 40 MPG on my S2000 so I reckon a Miata shouldn't be any worse. It'll just be more work than a more efficient car (i.e. slower speeds, more P&G, etc), but the numbers can be achieved.

Reply  Post New Thread