Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2022, 01:11 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,598 Times in 7,081 Posts

I, for one, really appreciate the 10-spoke wheels. Are they Radirs?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-17-2022, 03:00 PM   #42 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
With the current world picture on fuel prices and everything else that's going on, magazines like hot rod and Car Craft Etc should be sharing information on builds like this 4 people who actually want to drive their cars rather than trailer Queens.
Besides other motivations such as braking/handling, this is another reason why I am also favorable to some restomods.

Quote:
It has always been frustrating for me to be involved in many cross-country trips, and rarely or ever see any older interesting car moving on a road at all!
I guess you have never been in Brazil. Once in a while I still see "collectible" cars down the street.
Old 04-17-2022, 03:30 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I've been on I-5 in the Springtime when the opposite flow was like a rolling car show.

JustACarGuy has a tag for justacarguy.blogspot.com/search/label/found%20around%20the%20neighborhood

Parked cars and mysterious car covers. Often he goes to Google Street View to peer back in time.

Today's entry didn't get the tag -- some interesting vehicles found on tonight's walkabout, but what I can't figure out, is why among these million dollar homes, are so many dirt cheap trucks and cars

Old 04-19-2022, 12:34 AM   #44 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Most of the interesting old cars I still see getting used as daily-drives tend to be much more austere than a typical American full-size landyacht. Yesterday I even had a quick talk with a girl who was driving a '71 Beetle, IIRC originally fitted with the 1300 engine which had been replaced by a 1600 as she told me.
Old 04-21-2022, 02:48 AM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanks for the links Free beard. I remember when I used to see people that would attend the beaches Wednesday night Gatherings at Portland International Raceway. I would see them on their way home afterwards on I-5 through Vancouver in a little further north. I'm glad some automobile events are finally reopening.. I would like to see the Portland Roadster show again!
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
The Following User Says Thank You to larrybuck For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-21-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 12:02 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I remember when I used to see people that would attend the beaches Wednesday night Gatherings at Portland International Raceway.
Was the the Sons of the Beaches?

I went to the Portland Roadster Show as an impressionable youth, and saw My Blue Heaven floating on a cloud of angel hair. It changed my life.

http://www.customcarchronicle.com/ph...ats-in-a-name/

The only thing to compare was seeing Ron Countrney's '51 Ford''s tail lights reflected off the rainy, nighttime streets of McMinnville.

kustomkingdom.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-x-51-1951-ford-ron-courtney.html

I think it's still my favorite sectioned Ford.. I'd like to see a 9/10-scale clone based on a VW Type III notchback. The rooflines are very similar, all you'd lose is the front and rear trunk. It even has air scoops at the root of the fins.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:05 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I like the way you think. When I was a little Nipper I remember my dad having a 51 Ford at the same time that my mother had a 47 Ford Coupe. When I said I like the way you think, I was referring to what you were talking about squinting and and taking a more modern car and trying to make it look like an older one. I used to think about the Volkswagen squareback Wagons that if you did a little work you could make it look like a 56 or 55 Chevy. Admittedly at this current time, I would consider trying to scratch build different front Clips to put on the front of the Volkswagen Rabbit pickup truck. Sort of El Caminoize it a little further
It is one of the reasons that I bought it, to save my car Hobby. I'm pretty well maxed out on space, so I was thinking it might be fun just to put different interesting front Clips on there when I get tired of one pull it off and put something else on there and of course have it painted to match the rest of the vehicle. I'll play a guessing game with you you can try to figure out three or four choices that I might come up with. Give me a couple of guesses!!!PS I used to have a Dodge Rampage and also the spinoff Plymouth Scamp pickup. I like the curvature of the rear the cab into the bed area better than this rabbit, but unfortunately the quality of how the Dodge Rampage was built was a bit lackluster, and one day I took it to a recycling center so that I could drop off clean empty Soup cans and paper and so on, and while I was literally doing that I saw black smoke rolling out from under the hood. I didn't have an extinguisher with me, and nobody else nearby did, so I got to stand next to it and watch the whole thing burn down to the ground by the time the fire department got there. Thankfully I got full restitution from Hagerty Insurance oh, but it was not a fun experience. Now this rabbit pickup I have thankfully has a canopy or a cap or a camper top the lingo in what part of the United States you are in people called all kinds of different things. The reason I say that I'm thankful that I have the top on it it's because without it I think the bed looks too stretched out kind of out of proportion, but having the top on it kind of saves the look so to speak for me anyway, so I don't think I'll ever have it off.
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
Old 04-21-2022, 11:41 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I'll play a guessing game with you you can try to figure out three or four choices that I might come up with. Give me a couple of guesses!!!PS I used to have a Dodge Rampage and also the spinoff Plymouth Scamp pickup.
Not much into games. Any fiberglass body kit for the first generation?

I prefer the Ramage. Longer doors for ingress/egress.

Have you considered a bubble-top aerocap?

Old 04-23-2022, 02:05 AM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A bubble top would be cool
I pretty much grew up being a Chevy guy so when someone says the word bubble top 1961 or 1962 Chevy always comes into my mind. Well the Rabbit truck has kind of a slab pretty straight sides, so right off the bat it would seem to me that a 66 or 67 Nova front end or a 65 Pontiac GTO front end would look pretty good on there. The stock rabbit Hood dips down toward the front of the Hood in a slightly more aerodynamic way which makes me think more about a 69 GTO look. Playing The Devil's Advocate, I could see where people would say yeah it looks weird though because the 69 GTO is Slinky in the front and then you have slab straight toward the back. A 70 Chevelle has somewhat of a coke bottle shape with the the rear wheel wells flaring out into a hip as it were, but obviously the El Camino of the same year just not and everybody's fine with that. So that's all I've got to say about this right now
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
Old 04-26-2022, 10:48 PM   #50 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
I used to think about the Volkswagen squareback Wagons that if you did a little work you could make it look like a 56 or 55 Chevy.
Volkswagen old-school backbone frames were very useful to rebuild older small English and French cars in my country in the '70s and '80s when replacements were on short supply. I have even seen a Citroën Traction 7CV Légére converted to rear-engine RWD with a Beetle powerplant in 2011.

Quote:
Admittedly at this current time, I would consider trying to scratch build different front Clips to put on the front of the Volkswagen Rabbit pickup truck. Sort of El Caminoize it a little further
I guess you already know about Japanese businesses turning JDM kei cars into (well,sort of) replicas of some ancient Western cars, or Mitsuoka with its retro-themed models.

The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
larrybuck (04-29-2022)
Reply  Post New Thread