Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2023, 02:15 AM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

This is a 15 year old thread but I bumped into it and figured it could use some corrected info.

* on 94-95 Mustangs (any trim) the side scoops are "functional" - debatable what function and how much but there is a duct from the side scoop to the inside of the fender facing the tire. Spray a hose into a 94-95 and you get a wet tire. Spray a hose into a 96-98 and you get wet. 99+ the body style changed and had even faker fake vents.

* on 94-98 Mustangs the hood "nostrils" are "functional" - there is approximately a 0.75" hole directly under them and you can shine a flashlight straight through. Early 94 models even had a rubber flapper in that hole presumably to keep rain out? I think the idea on these vents was to reduce front end lift by relieving under hood pressure though it's debatable how much air can really be pushed through a pair of 0.75" holes when it's being continually fed into a front opening 800x the size.

* 3.73 was not a factory option on GT's, they were typically 2.73 or 3.08 with 3.27 on later autos & 3.55 rarely on later Cobras of that generation

* I have read that 1995 decontented "GTS" trim Mustangs had a 3-4mph higher top speed than otherwise identical GT trim Mustangs. Same engine but no fog lamps (open holes in front fascia where a lamp would have been, which seems worse for aero?) but also no spoiler on the trunk lid. My guess is the absence of spoiler improved the top speed. Alternate hypothesis, since the engine air intake is in the passenger fender (between the fender splash liner and the plastic bumper cover), removal of the fog lamps provides a pretty good forward hole to pressurize that fender area for a tiny ram air effect, maybe meaningless at 60mph but maybe good for 3 mph at 130+

Anyway that's all I have, I don't expect anyone in this thread is still here a decade and a half later. I have a couple of these Mustangs I'm restoring as road trippers and they make plenty of power already so now I just want them smooth and quiet while consuming miles on the highway.. which explains why I'm here digging up old threads.

Last edited by shovel; 01-26-2023 at 12:21 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to shovel For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-26-2023)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-25-2023, 03:31 AM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
595 Post suggests you have something else to say.

It's interesting what's in the archive. The front page says there're 661,215 posts. There are a hundred lurkers for every member signed in the moment, usually it closer to 10 to 1.

Someone, somewhere someday will train ChatGTP on the archive as a training set, and then one will be able to ask it (much like the Oracle of Delphi, be careful what you ask for) for the distilled wisdom of the Ecomodder hive mind.

Reply  Post New Thread