Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
i got a CRX for the fact that driving with or without the engine is no different, no power anything on them.. not to mention makes less thing that have the potential to break or go bad.. simple is best in my book..

as for drafting etc.. yeah i draft but usually have more space between me and the drafted vehical than the cars behind me have to my bumper.. really i think hypermiling is safer than driving like a bat out of hell like most drivers.. i can stop a hell of a lot faster in my 1800 pund car at 55 mph than the 6000 lbs suv thats behind me.. and im actually paying attention to my driving, unlike most the other cars on the road.. it scary out ther i have seen people reading books while driving shaving while driving , saw a lady putting on eye liner and one curling he eye lashes while doing 60+ mph.. not to mantion half of them chattingup a storm on the cells there entire drive..

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Well, according to this article and the video that was posted, we are all going to die, kill everyone else on the road and get arrested at the same time. Oh joy.
You do realize that the "NEWS" is a business which exists FIRST to deliver viewers to advertisers. You as a viewer are not a CUSTOMER. You are a PRODUCT. The SECOND purpose of the "NEWS" is to influence public opinon to match the political/social preferences of the people who are involved in its creation.
If anything shown on the "NEWS" is factual, that is only by coincidence.

Quote:
"Every one of them is illegal," Connecticut State Police spokesman Trooper William Tate said of the "hypermiling" techniques.
This is obviously false. The article was written to fan the flames of hysteria. Again, you are the product, not the customer.

And speaking of *experts*, who remembers back when "experts" told us to eat hydrogenated vegetable oil (margarine) because butter or lard would kill us deader than doornails?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
But what does any of this hype over hype have to do with:
"Discuss everything related to vehicle mods here, from ideas to experiments to results."?

Why folks get so upset over the news to begin with? Or top gear for that matter? Just turn that crud off. Instead we help spread the manure.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
But what does any of this hype over hype have to do with:
"Discuss everything related to vehicle mods here, from ideas to experiments to results."?

Why folks get so upset over the news to begin with? Or top gear for that matter? Just turn that crud off. Instead we help spread the manure.
While I do not watch the TV news, most people do. And I find that people's opinions of me are formed by what they see there about hypermiling, hence the issue. So I think it's worthy to try to correct MSM misconceptions if just for that reason.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
NES Collector

Tom Baker - '03 Toyota Echo
90 day: 44.53 mpg (US)

Big Blue - '03 Dodge Caravan 2WD
90 day: 20.85 mpg (US)
What is this 1940's germany? "Police have been told to be on the lookout for hypermilers, Solorzano adds."

Miles Displaced By
Walking = 3.6
Old 07-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

trikkonceptz just got pulled over for doing 5 under

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ight-3497.html

dcb, media fuels the stupidity of the masses which is why I got ticked. "If its seen on the Internet or TV its gotta be true right?" Sure it could be turned off, but that one idiot out there who is going to EOC, run into the back of a semi because they ran out of brake vacuum and get themselves killed will totally trash any reputation hypermilers have.

If the location of this thread is a problem, the mods are free to move it, its cool with me.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Baz - '93 Peugeot 106
90 day: 62.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by echomodder View Post
What is this 1940's germany? "Police have been told to be on the lookout for hypermilers, Solorzano adds."
Godwins law.

Goal: 3L/100KM
Old 07-03-2008, 06:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I live in Connecticut. I nicknamed the state CONNECTICUT NATIONAL PARK, as it is like I have a park ranger on every street making sure I do not walk off the sidewalk, dont feed the animals, and never damage the precious flora and fauna. We have the most laws, the most cops, the most paranoid population, and a facist society.

Yet I have a motorcycle, which has no airbags, no seatbelt, and requires me to put a foot down when stopped, and requires no helmet, no training (if I imported my drivers license from another state). I also do not need a leather jacket to keep my skin from being scraped off my body. Of course I will be sued for $30k if I damage someones rose garden with my splattered body. I love my state!!

Think of it and Connecticut passes a law (like our worse liberal cousins Massachusetts - aka tax-achusetts).

Having said that.... Please ignor the man behind the curtain (the nutcase newsreporter, or the police spokesperson - who speaks for the average idiot on the road).

If you want to Hypermile - go for it; and be very very very intelligent and stealthy about it. Just remember the reasons why you do it (wink wink):

1) Stop Sign rolling?? - tell the officer you made a mistake and you promise to never do it again; and then DONT DO IT, as it is dangerous.
2) Slow speeds on highway?? - get in the right lane and do the speed limit, or five miles below (worst case). Watch the speed as many highways drop the spped to 55MPH and 50MPH in some cities on the highway. If you get a ticket always fight it, as the court always throws them out (if you are in the five mile up/down window).
3) Drafting - Only in a convoy of trucks, who do this all the times themselves. You are just following the trucks, and going their same speed.
4) Coasting - downhill with a clutch in, you just took a longer time to upshift, or downshift in your manual transmission. Watch those brakes overheating as a warped roter is more costly, than the savings you gain from overheating the brakes at the bottom of the hill, or the accident you have from going too fast rolling down the hill.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnDoireman View Post
Godwins law.
LOL, seconded! Motion to adjourn!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Are hypermiling techniques illegal anywhere? I searched around Ontario's highway traffic act and I couldn't find anything relating to coasting or turning off the engine. There are some laws about travelling under 40km/h, you need a slow moving vehicle sign, but if you go over 40km/h you need to take it off.

Also if you go for true horse power...

Sleigh bells

77. (1) Every person travelling on a highway with a sleigh or sled drawn by a horse or other animal shall have at least two bells attached to the harness or to the sleigh or sled in such a manner as to give ample warning sound. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 77 (1).

Anyways, I agree with Offroad, do your hypermiling intelligently, no one will have a problem with it and don't worry about what the boobs on the tube say.
Also, how does anyone know if you are coasting or not? or have the engine off? And I find drafting works so far back that you never need to be in "danger" from tailgating let alone stopped by the police...

Ian

Reply  Post New Thread