Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2016, 07:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

To Be Determined (Too-be) - '15 Chevrolet Malibu LS Eco
90 day: 35.41 mpg (US)
Costco Membership?

Hello all,

There's a Costco very near me, and I've been toying with the idea of getting their basic ($55/year) membership. It's just my girlfriend & I though, so I'm not sure if we'd use it enough to make it worth it.

We'd definitely be going there for gas, and she loves to travel so their travel deals have her interested. I'd prefer to stock up on non-perishables in bulk, and there are a couple of bigger purchases I'd like to make this year (tires, laptop, desk, other office stuff [I'm setting myself up to take on more freelance stuff]).

Would a membership be worth it? The price seems pretty reasonable. How are their vacation packages?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
I can't speak for Costco, but I have experience with Sam's and BJs (the store darn it, not "that's what she said!" Lol).

I find that both don't actually offer deals, maybe slightly over a retail store, but not if you shop online or are a smart shopper. Both offered bulk, but the limited selection means there is often only a brand, maybe two. Usually I find what I need cheaper at WalMart or Kroger's. Travel packages are easy enough to find online, same with the other things you asked of.

No judgement! But I find those clubs are just for people who don't want to shop with the rest of us normies. I have a Sam's card now, because it pays for itself when I do the Groupon/whatever deal and the free stuff one gets. I only buy a specific snack there. They only have one flavor, but their price is 25¢ or so per bar less.

If you want to take the easy way for an okay deal (no judgement! You do you ), then go for it. Otherwise I'd say really check the exact pricing and see if it really is a deal. At least for Sam's, now, it isn't.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have one very close to me. The cheap lunch, rotisserie chicken, milk, eggs and free samples make it worth it for me.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
I was with BJ's for a few years. Lots of products gave the appearance of savings, but either the price wasn't actually a deal or they only came in a variety pack loaded with flavors/types you didn't want to buy. Getting diapers and wipes by the case made up for a lot, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 05-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Costco seems to have better fresh produce and more organic foods (if that's your thing) than Sam's. I try to go as infrequently as possible because it seems like we always end up spending at least $100 no matter what we went in for originally. Gas is the cheapest in town by about 10 cents, but I usually just fill up at the gas station close to us (which usually has the second cheapest gas). I got a pretty good deal on the Prius' tires from Costco, though I could have probably found a similar deal with some shopping around.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Old 05-05-2016, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I have always enjoyed going to Costco and maintained my membership even when I was overseas. The people are helpful and the products are high-quality. One year I upgraded to Executive right before purchasing tires for Dad's truck and a laptop.

I still did not make back my money.

I read the other day that if a price does not end in nine it is marked down, although I wonder why they do not tell you.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
They don't want to encourage you to wait until it's marked down for clearance. They want you to think everything's as low as it'll ever be and just buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 05-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Some items are a few percentage points cheaper, but you better like buying in bulk. I happen to like it b/c then I can shop less. Like 2/3 less. That's the big win for me.

The quality is often a notch better than at the typical big box stores. Sam's has the best salted nuts ever. The stuff I get at Wal-mart is older and has a stale taste. Are they cheaper per pound? No, unless you count the high volume/freshness factor.

Benedryl, prescription meds and the pizza and hot dogs for lunch probably make back my membership in year, or pretty close.

want to build 150 mpg diesel streamliner.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Laptop, or pretty much anything electronic, you can almost certainly get better/cheaper on-line. Better because the big box stores just carry mass consumer stuff. Try e.g. Newegg.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Probably not worth it, depending on what other options are near to you.

I bought a membership when they did their periodic promotion that gives you a free chicken, some batteries, cheap tuna, and something like $20 off the membership fee.

If I were to pay full price for a membership, I would need a big family and would then get the executive membership since it pays a percentage back, and the extra fee is refundable if you don't make back the fee in savings.

My roommate has a membership, so I'm on his account.

Just go shopping once a year with someone that has an account. Stock up on ibuprofen and other common drugs, cleaning supplies, etc. Just about everything else is more expensive than buying elsewhere, especially electronics. Some things are cheaper though. They have some excellent WR toilets that were $80 and perform better than units that cost $350+ at other stores. Synthetic oil is usually cheaper. Sometimes local utility rebates make things like LED bulbs cheap there.

Costco fuel is the cheapest around, and they are now TopTier certified, so the detergent quality is on par with Chevron, Texaco, Shell, Arco, etc

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 05-05-2016 at 01:28 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread