Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Honda Insight Modulo Concept Features

While searching for lowering springs, I came across this 2010 concept car. The Modulo concept is supposed to embody "exciting eco" and I'd like to replicate some of concepts features (ie. partial upper grill block and diffuser) but two features struck me as odd.

The wheels have a quarter section that is of dubious effectiveness and there are fins on either side of the rear window. Can anyone explain either of these features?

I don't have enough posts to post links or add pictures, so I'd be grateful if someone could embed photos below.

Honda to show Insight Sports Modulo Concept, more at Tokyo Auto Salon - Autoblog

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amta1001001h.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	14311   Click image for larger version

Name:	747894.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	14312   Click image for larger version

Name:	5815899.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	14313  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeroboy For This Useful Post:
Cobb (12-30-2013), RedDevil (12-28-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Modulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroboy View Post
While searching for lowering springs, I came across this 2010 concept car. The Modulo concept is supposed to embody "exciting eco" and I'd like to replicate some of concepts features (ie. partial upper grill block and diffuser) but two features struck me as odd.

The wheels have a quarter section that is of dubious effectiveness and there are fins on either side of the rear window. Can anyone explain either of these features?

I don't have enough posts to post links or add pictures, so I'd be grateful if someone could embed photos below.

Honda to show Insight Sports Modulo Concept, more at Tokyo Auto Salon - Autoblog

*I'd forget about the wheels.You're not going to beat MOONs
*As to the 'fins',the Insight has been beat up by the press for crosswind handling issues and this may be a Bandaid for moving the center of pressure aft a bit,an idea patented by Fachsenfeld in the 1930's;something Kamm was obsessed about and used into the 1960s.
aeroboy (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

la_voiture_de_courses - '03 Renault Megane Estate
OldContinents
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Brit iron - '92 Mini Mini
90 day: 45.5 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota PRIUS Lounge
90 day: 47.37 mpg (US)

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
90 day: 53.06 mpg (US)
What about the edge on the side of the front bumper ?
Is it some designer "contribution" or is it made to actually improve flow over the wheel well ?
Old 12-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Does the piece on the wheel move ?

I like it for it's BladeRunner look, but it also looks like the car is about to be impounded
Old 12-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
...As to the 'fins',the Insight has been beat up by the press for crosswind handling issues and this may be a Bandaid for moving the center of pressure aft a bit,an idea patented by Fachsenfeld in the 1930's;something Kamm was obsessed about and used into the 1960s.
The Insight uses relatively narrow tires; I found the OEM pressure settings are a bit low. Side wind sensitivety on the Insight is reduced significantly by raising the tire pressure to 2.8 bar/40 PSI or more.
I believe the curved rear bumper on the pre 2012 Insights is another cause and want to create a sharper edge to further reduce it.

Last week we had another severe storm directly across on the highway, pulsing and buffeting and all. It did influence steering, but was easy to manage by placing my hands at the proper height on the steering wheel. It was nowhere as bad as with the much milder storm when I just had the car and the tires were still on OEM pressure.

I think the fins help to prevent air from rolling from the sides to the 'boot' to enhance the kammback effect e.g. decrease the wake. It is a nice thought, maybe I'll try to reproduce that on my car.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
aeroboy (12-28-2013), aerohead (12-30-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault_megane_dci View Post
Is it some designer "contribution" or is it made to actually improve flow over the wheel well ?
If it is curved the curve will be too sharp anyway; air will detach there (I guess, I'm no expert) so they can just as well make it sharp.
Also anything that helps the air move over the car instead of aside is beneficial.

Many new cars have sharp edges on the front bumper corner. Citroëns often house a LED strip or fake air scoop at the bumper edge. It puzzled me at first, but I think it is a child of wind tunnel testing.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault_megane_dci View Post
If I had to guess,it is concerning yawing moments in a crosswind or gust condition.
Hucho devotes some time to this feature in his book from 1987.I don't have it with me,perhaps another member,working from home will pick up on this an chime in.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
I couldn't speak to Hucho, but MY GOODNESS. Crosswinds are just terrible. It was weird on the first drive on the highway home (being used to my other vehicle), and with the boat tail on, it is incredible how a caterpillar sneezing two miles away pushes the car.

It could be worse for me because of an error in my build, but on a trip we took over the weekend, cruising 59-65, I didn't feel safe to take both hands off the wheel and show how hard/aggressively the wind pulls it.

(Gen 1)

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to UltArc For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-02-2014)
Old 12-30-2013, 11:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Think "...TAIL wagging the DOG..."
Old 01-02-2014, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I couldn't speak to Hucho, but MY GOODNESS. Crosswinds are just terrible. It was weird on the first drive on the highway home (being used to my other vehicle), and with the boat tail on, it is incredible how a caterpillar sneezing two miles away pushes the car.

It could be worse for me because of an error in my build, but on a trip we took over the weekend, cruising 59-65, I didn't feel safe to take both hands off the wheel and show how hard/aggressively the wind pulls it.

(Gen 1)
In Hucho's discussion of stability,he mentions that,"Only vehicles with long,tapering rear ends suffered..",mentioning Kamm's research at the FKFS.
Tail fins were the solution in the 1930s but only used on race and record cars.
Hucho goes on to mention that lift and pitching moment have little effect on directional stability,even in crosswinds.
Hucho says the danger is with gusts.And he says that highway design is a major part of the solution.
It is a center of pressure/center of gravity issue.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd like to experience your Insight in a crosswind.
When I drove to Bonneville,I drove 70-mph through a near-dust-blizzard storm front with a 50-mph crosswind into Amarillo,Texas.All I did was apply a constant opposite torque on the wheel.