Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008, 11:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Charlie View Post
Oh, no you don't! Not until you finish that backwards Porsche!
LOL, Hey I may be able to work on both ... From what I know, I won't be using the VW chassis to build the DUBREX, so I can mount the 928 body on the VW frame and build them both up together.... LOL

Now where is that bag of money I left lying around here ...

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rebellion - '16 KMX Framekit Custom electric velomobile
These forums have a wealth of information. I searched this site looking for information on the Tryane II, not thinking anything would turn up, yet here it is...

Its specs are quite impressive, although I think a naturally-aspirated diesel engine from a VW Rabbit or a VW Golf TDI engine would be a better choice than that of a Citroen 2CV(the front of the Tryane II wuld probably have to re-designed to accomodate it).
Old 06-03-2010, 03:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter View Post
Its specs are quite impressive, although I think a naturally-aspirated diesel engine from a VW Rabbit or a VW Golf TDI engine would be a better choice than that of a Citroen 2CV(the front of the Tryane II wuld probably have to re-designed to accomodate it).
Toecutter

I think you are missing the point of the Tryane II and this forum ?

There are two reasons why it it impressive one is the body it's aerodynamics and weight and the other is the engine.

The 2cv engine even powering a 2cv can achieve 35mpg+ around town and 55mpg+ on the freeway , it is a very light engine [ can easily be picked up by one person ] and there is a 5 speed gearbox available for it.

Because the engine is light coming from a light car [ look up the weight of a 2cv compared to a Rabbit ! ] the rest of the transmission components are light to match it.

regards Paul
Old 06-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Charlie View Post
I've been thinking on this topic, of building a 3 wheel commuter, for some time. From what I've researched, and with what I would want to accomplish, a reverse trike (aka 'tadpole'-2 wheels forward, one behind) design would be what I would build. I'd use a Geo Metro 1.0 L drivetrain up front and a welded tube chassis. Tandem seats.
Fiberglass body that would have a Cd of ZERO!
Bam, 100 MPG.

It would somewhat resemble a cross between VW's concept and the Vortex.
I think a welded tube chassis would be a lot lighter than all that plywood in the Vortex.
How about something like this???

Don't forget....

_______________ You have to get it safety inspected ________________

The process is not for the faint of heart....

Jim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Three-Wheeler.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	6115  

Last edited by 3-Wheeler; 06-03-2010 at 01:37 PM..
Old 06-04-2010, 04:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
The PRC.

For those interested in the 2CV angle there is a test of the original car here

Citron 2CV6

It got 50.2 MPG with a 'touring speed' of 48 mph.

A lot of my 'if only I could build my own car' ideas for hypermiling have centred on the 2CV because of the seperate chassis makes it easy to put a new body on. With a bit of car I could see a car with a body closely matching the drag template shape and with 2 seats on there. There was another 'special' built in the 50s which used a 2CV as the basis - 4 wheels though - which was capable of 100+ mph on the long, straight french roads. Took a while to get there though.

Similar to this one, but I don't think it was this one as this is a panhard factory car:

I'm not so sold on the 3 wheel concept. They do have some exemptions here such as emissions testing and being taxed as a motorcycle, but there must be strong and valid reasons why the major manufacturers only make concept 3-wheelers and not volume production ones. 3 Wheelers with the 3rd wheel at the front always seem just wrong although I can see the point for aero - narrowest part into the airflow first.

I do recall a Morgan 3 wheeler with a 1930s motorbike engine at the front held the outright lap record at an English circuit in the 1980s at the same time as 500bhp+ Sierra Cosworths were racing at the same circuit.