Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2018, 11:29 PM   #41 (permalink)
92 Civic VX since 2002

Green Bean - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)

Wife's Prius - '08 Toyota Prius Base 315K miles

Silverbullet - '08 Toyota Prius
I went out and bought a 2008 Prius, so now we have two. I'm going to drive my VX in the winter and park my Prius in the garage and only drive it once or twice a month so the hybrid battery doesn't develop any issues. I've only driven it a short distance, but already over 60mpg on this first full tank. This one I picked up for $3,600 with 182,000 miles. This is an extremely clean Prius and I feel like I got a really good deal compared to what I've looked at in my market over the last 11 months since buying my wife's Prius.
It actually seems easy to hypermile it and I got some practice in from driving my wife's Prius. I feel like I've gotten a pretty good understanding on how to manipulate it to get better MPG's. I'm pretty sure there's a thread on this site explaining it out.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-16-2018, 11:43 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
I went out and bought a 2008 Prius, so now we have two. I'm going to drive my VX in the winter and park my Prius in the garage and only drive it once or twice a month so the hybrid battery doesn't develop any issues. I've only driven it a short distance, but already over 60mpg on this first full tank. This one I picked up for $3,600 with 182,000 miles. This is an extremely clean Prius and I feel like I got a really good deal compared to what I've looked at in my market over the last 11 months since buying my wife's Prius.
It actually seems easy to hypermile it and I got some practice in from driving my wife's Prius. I feel like I've gotten a pretty good understanding on how to manipulate it to get better MPG's. I'm pretty sure there's a thread on this site explaining it out.
Absolutely the best way to risk having the hybrid battery develop an issue. Absolute worst thing you can do is let them sit for significant periods of time.
The Following User Says Thank You to S Keith For This Useful Post:
roflwaffle (07-26-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 04:23 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
That's how I got my free 2005 Prius. My dad let it sit for several months at a time while he was away on trips until the traction battery failed. The cost to replace the battery exceeded the car's blue book value, so he gave it to me and I replaced the battery. So a car with low miles and in good condition (other than the battery) would likely have hit the junkyard if I hadn't taken it. I imagine many EV's will be in a similar state in upcoming years as they depreciate quickly in the face of improved new models and battery replacement costs greatly exceed blue book values.
roflwaffle (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 08:58 AM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Ditto on driving the Prius more often. I think you would be fine driving it a couple times a week though, so you can still put most of the miles on your VX.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:36 PM   #45 (permalink)
Old Retired R&D Dude

Little Red - '12 Toyota Prius c 2 Two
90 day: 57.82 mpg (US)

"Whitey" Bulger - '14 Toyota RAV4 LE
Still happy with the 2012 C2

I don't hypermile very 'hard'. I mostly just let off the gas to kick EV on whenever I can..
I get between 50 & 60 MPG on average, and if I'm not climbing the big hill, I can still get up around 70 MPG without much effort. My wife gets between 40 and 50 on ave..

Since we don't drive a lot, the Prius only has about 20,600 miles on it.
Since it's over 6 years old, I finally got around to replacing the OEM 12V battery.
(Had to reset clock, but radio was fine).
Have not noticed any difference in MPG. Using the old battery for some solar storage.
It might last me a few more years for Ham Radio applications..

I was going to change the oil again this summer, but it's Mobile '1' and I want to get at least 5,000 miles on it before changing..
I did change out the engine and cabin air filters and wiper blades..

The OEM tires still look okay. But I'll bet there are some new tires that can do a little better on snow..
I plan to rotate them again this fall. While thinking about new tires.
For now, we've got the SUV for bad winter weather..

Current ride: 2014 RAV4 LE AWD (24 MPG)

Wife's Pizza Transporter
Old 09-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #46 (permalink)
92 Civic VX since 2002

I don't plan on letting the Prius (Silver Bullet) sit the whole winter. I will take it out twice a month and run for at least 30 minutes so the battery stays fit.
It's more to keep salt off of the Prius and I still like driving my VX. The VX has a bit of rust already, so it gets to be the "rust relief car." My grandson will inherit the VX in 4 more years when he's old enough to drive. Lucky kid isn't he! It's going to hurt letting the VX go as it's my favorite car ever out of about 20 cars in my lifetime, which has an assortment of vehicles with some being new. People who have owned one before know why it's such a great car.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:52 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That plan should accomplish nothing meaningful. The amount of charge loss on an old battery can be shocking over the course of just a week. Every time it happens, a little more damage occurs.

Based on what I've seen on approximately 200 Prius battery failures, I wouldn't let a 10yr+/100K+ Prius sit for more than 1-2 days. If I had to let it sit for 7-10 days (e.g., trip or vacation), I would conduct a forced charge to full prior to leaving and upon my return a 12V reset with another forced charge to full PRIOR to driving.

For sitting longer than that I would have somebody drive it or install a grid charger.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:44 PM   #48 (permalink)
92 Civic VX since 2002

That seems hard to believe since many new and used Prius sit on car lots for long periods of time without being run daily. We drove my Prius to Florida and returned a week later to find my wife's Prius battery practically at a full charge. I call B.S. on requiring it being driven every other day or so...
Old 09-02-2018, 11:09 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Here's my anecdote: My Prius was 12 years old with 136k miles when the battery died. This was a few months after buying my Volt and the Prius sat quite a bit. It was also the day after taking it on a ~150 mile trip to get snow tires put on, but that's probably just bad luck. I did notice (in hindsight) that the battery seemed to drain especially quick going uphill on that trip. The car lived most of its life in El Paso, TX, so all that heat probably didn't help. I don't think driving it more would have kept the battery from dying, but it probably would have helped it last a few more months (at least allowing me to make use of the snow tires...).

I would say a 15-20 minute drive every week or two would be better than just having it idle for 30 minutes. Driving would help keep everything else in shape, too.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Old 09-03-2018, 01:59 AM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
That seems hard to believe since many new and used Prius sit on car lots for long periods of time without being run daily. We drove my Prius to Florida and returned a week later to find my wife's Prius battery practically at a full charge. I call B.S. on requiring it being driven every other day or so...
Funny thing is "full charge" is actually a sign of deterioration. A truly healthy battery will barely budge off 6 blue bars. When you start seeing 7 and 8 green bars that's not associated with long downhill or a high speed freeway exit, it's a bad thing. Weak batteries not only deplete faster, but they charge faster...

You can call B.S., but I'm conveying my experience with a large portion of approximately 200 hybrid battery failures.

I also qualified it with 10yr old/100K mile. New batteries have almost no issues with charge loss, nor do ~60-80K mile batteries based on my testing, but once a battery has begun to experience significant deterioration, self-discharge can increase dramatically.

All it takes is for a single ONE of the 168 cells to begin to lose charge significantly faster than the others, and you have a ticking time bomb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
Here's my anecdote: My Prius was 12 years old with 136k miles when the battery died. This was a few months after buying my Volt and the Prius sat quite a bit. It was also the day after taking it on a ~150 mile trip to get snow tires put on, but that's probably just bad luck. I did notice (in hindsight) that the battery seemed to drain especially quick going uphill on that trip. The car lived most of its life in El Paso, TX, so all that heat probably didn't help. I don't think driving it more would have kept the battery from dying, but it probably would have helped it last a few more months (at least allowing me to make use of the snow tires...).

I would say a 15-20 minute drive every week or two would be better than just having it idle for 30 minutes. Driving would help keep everything else in shape, too.
FWIW, for all hybrid vehicles, Toyota recommends 30 minutes READY mode in P every two months for NEW vehicles to ensure the 12V and HV batteries are maintained per TSB PD091-06. If Toyota requires maintenance for NEW batteries to prevent discharge, it's kinda hard to deny that it might be needed more frequently for 10 year old high mileage hybrids, but I'm probably just being paranoid.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S Keith For This Useful Post:
euromodder (09-03-2018), Xist (09-03-2018)
Reply  Post New Thread