Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #41 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
PA32R essentially made my argument.

Banning cell phones is ridiculous simply because it is the equivalent of talking to your passenger. People have shown the ability to talk to their passengers safely for over a century now.

Cell phones have a bad reputation because careless people use cellphones carelessly. If you take a cell phone away from an idiot, you're still left with an idiot.

- LostCause

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-29-2008, 06:09 PM   #42 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
c'mon LC, they are not "equal". The passenger can actually alert you to an evolving situation on the road, and is a stakeholder in your safe driving The person on the other end of the phone just keeps yammering obliviously and won't know when to shut up.

There has been at least one study that compares talking on a phone while driving with drinking and driving and found them to be similiar risk levels. Is this not well known?
Old 06-29-2008, 06:47 PM   #43 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
c'mon LC, they are not "equal". The passenger can actually alert you to an evolving situation on the road, and is a stakeholder in your safe driving The person on the other end of the phone just keeps yammering obliviously and won't know when to shut up.
The "what about talking to passengers?" argument comes up a lot. I don't really have an answer to it, but I know it to be less distracting than talking on a cell phone. Yours is as good of an explanation as I have heard.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:14 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

LR3 - '06 Land Rover LR3 HSE
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula413 View Post
The "what about talking to passengers?" argument comes up a lot. I don't really have an answer to it, but I know it to be less distracting than talking on a cell phone. Yours is as good of an explanation as I have heard.
That's all anecdotal. If there's a study comparing the distraction of cell phones (hands free) vs. conversation with a passenger, I haven't heard of it. Yes, a passenger may alert a driver to a hazard. On the other hand, drivers frequently turn to look at their passengers while conversing. I'm not sure where the balance would be. But I certainly don't think it's a "no brainer."
Old 06-29-2008, 07:16 PM   #45 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
c'mon LC, they are not "equal"...
They are pretty damn close. While the passenger has a stake, they are called accidents because they are unintentioned. You essentially have the equivalent of two cell phone drivers watching the road. Are two drunk drivers safer than one? Maybe, but I doubt by much...

The drinking and driving study is pointless because anything that leeches brainpower will have the same effect. Mess with the radio, talk to your passenger, incessantly check your rear view mirrors...

I don't use my cellphone while driving. I just think the subject is mass hysteria that's unjustifiably gotten a bad reputation. I think speeding is much, much more dangerous, but everyone seems to be fine with that. Hell, I bet the news anchorman that admonishes us nightly for using a cellphone speeds to the studio...

- LostCause

Last edited by LostCause; 06-29-2008 at 07:27 PM..
Old 06-29-2008, 10:44 PM   #46 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
LostCause -

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
They are pretty damn close. While the passenger has a stake, they are called accidents because they are unintentioned. You essentially have the equivalent of two cell phone drivers watching the road. Are two drunk drivers safer than one? Maybe, but I doubt by much...

The drinking and driving study is pointless because anything that leeches brainpower will have the same effect. Mess with the radio, talk to your passenger, incessantly check your rear view mirrors...

I don't use my cellphone while driving. I just think the subject is mass hysteria that's unjustifiably gotten a bad reputation. I think speeding is much, much more dangerous, but everyone seems to be fine with that. Hell, I bet the news anchorman that admonishes us nightly for using a cellphone speeds to the studio...

- LostCause
I disagree because the situational awareness of the person on the other end is 100% non-existant. They don't *feel* you press the brakes or hit the turn signal.

They don't call 'em backseat drivers for nothin', !

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 06-30-2008, 08:57 PM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The problem with using the door jam recommended tire pressures is that the car manufacturer has no idea what tires are on the car after the OEM tires are replaced. We just bought some new tires with 51 PSI max pressure. It would seem that the tire manufacturer not the car manufacturer is better to determine what is safe and the maximum tire pressure allowed.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:00 PM   #48 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestmapman View Post
The problem with using the door jam recommended tire pressures is that the car manufacturer has no idea what tires are on the car after the OEM tires are replaced. We just bought some new tires with 51 PSI max pressure. It would seem that the tire manufacturer not the car manufacturer is better to determine what is safe and the maximum tire pressure allowed.
The maximum pressure is irrelevant to what pressure will produce the best mileage, the best handling, or the best traction. All of these will generally be far less than the maximum pressure, except fuel economy.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #49 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula413 View Post
The maximum pressure is irrelevant to what pressure will produce the best mileage, the best handling, or the best traction. All of these will generally be far less than the maximum pressure, except fuel economy.
As some would say, show me the money.

Unless you can site specific test results, you are making statements not based on evidence, nor observations. Lets have some references to back up your assertions.

Surely you would agree that the tire manufacturer not the car manufacturer knows best about how the tire will hold up and what tire pressure is allowable.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:33 PM   #50 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

NewBlue - '07 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 38.13 mpg (US)

The Better Half - '97 Ford Ranger XLT
90 day: 25.84 mpg (US)
Isn't the car manufacturer telling you the best pressure to get a smooth and comfortable ride out of the vehicle? Same reason they put TERRIBLE stock tires on a lot of cars just to get the sale (beware honda does this on the civics). Seems like the tire manufacturer would know what the limitations of the tire are better then the auto manufacturer.

Starting point 30mpg ready...... GO.

Reply  Post New Thread