Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
But they leave a plastic taste (bisphenol-a?) in the water, especially when they have been left sitting in the sun for awhile. Metal leaves a bit of a taste in the water as well, but not as bad. I prefer to use glass for water containers, it doesn't taint the water left in it.
I've never been able to detect any plastic taste from soda/water type bottles, though I can taste just a bit from e.g. bike water bottles. As for glass... well, aside from the weight, I think I'd re-think that the first time I slipped, or dropped the backpack on some rocks...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #22 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I've never been able to detect any plastic taste from soda/water type bottles, though I can taste just a bit from e.g. bike water bottles. As for glass... well, aside from the weight, I think I'd re-think that the first time I slipped, or dropped the backpack on some rocks...
Polycarbonate doesn't taint your water, and it's light weight and durable. The only drawback I can think of is cost.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
Most drink bottles are made of PET (Polyethylene terephthalate) that is supposedly non-leaching, but it does leave a plastic taste in the water that I can taste to the point to where if the bottle has been left out in the hot sun for a few hours the, plasticy taste makes it practically undrinkable to me. Its probably one of those things that you don't notice if you are exposed to it every day, but I only very rarely drink out of plastic containers (once a year at most) so the taste is very obvious to me. I figure that if I can taste it, there is something being leached into the water.

Polycarbonate contains bisphenol-a which can start leaching out of the plastic as the plastic ages or gets dishwashered often. This has been brought up as a problem with polycarbonate baby bottles.

The easiest way to avoid the breakability problem with glass bottles is to encase it with a foam cover, which also insulates the container so it stays cold longer.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
The easiest way to avoid the breakability problem with glass bottles is to encase it with a foam cover, which also insulates the container so it stays cold longer.
Which adds more weight, and volume. And the breakability is still there - knock your pack just the wrong way against a sharp rock, and it's gone.

Reply  Post New Thread