Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Time to upgrade car... Which way to go?

I am (hopefully) about to be in a position to get out of my old 99vw (transmission woes) and am trying to decide what to get for a ecomodder daily transportation device... and my 102 mile round trip commute says I should really go for it !!! 2 lanes 28 stop lights about 50% in city/50% 2 lane highway....

Lotsa good choices... maybe-

a stick shift yaris...
a used prius...
stick shift TDI...
Stick shift Civic

I don't really know much except I need to start looking.... I am not sure how many trips she's still got in her... But she gets 30+ mpg, but not wanting to throw any more$$$ at her and there's the tranny, tires, no a/c, and the fact the speedo/tach 50ks only 30% of the time....

Last edited by Slasher; 05-18-2012 at 10:40 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
My tdi is hands down the best motor i have owned. Without any ecomodding skills my car will easily, seriously easily get 50 mpg. If you apply some skill to your driving you will increase it to the point that others have, check the top 10 ecommoder fuel mileage chart for exact numbers the tdi owners are getting, not to mention the 60 + mpg i am getting in my 98 tdi

Old 05-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fiesta - '12 Ford Fiesta SE
90 day: 31.45 mpg (US)
I'm leasing a Ford Fiesta, with 98% city driving I'm getting a little over 30 mpg. And the dual-clutch transmission is really cool, if you really like stick there's an option on some cars to drive the auto as if it were a stick. Or you can just get the stick model, though the auto is supposedly more efficient.
If you wait a bit they're gonna put the Ecoboost engine in them, more power and more efficient.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Is that a 102 mile round trip? You wrote it a little weird. If so, I would recommend you upgrade your commute.

Anyhoo, if you plan on retaining that commute for a long time, I would strongly consider the TDI. TDIs are wonderful long distance cruisers. They are comfortable to drive and if taken care of, can go a long way. The yaris is a cute little car, but, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be caged in one for 500 miles a week.

Forget the prius. The TDI will beat the pants off it on the non-stop and go section of your drive.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
Is that a 102 mile round trip? You wrote it a little weird. If so, I would recommend you upgrade your commute..
This is an upgraded commute!!! I got tired of Suburbia, HOA's, and a city in need of infrastructure and a falling tax base!!!

I love where I live now!!! The drive is worth it!!

I do lean towards TDI... Used to have an 06 PD stick shift Jetta, but after the 3rd kid, it had to go to make room for 3... 3 kids in the back seat of a Jetta (2 in car seats) doesn't work.... I loved that car

Just have heard mixed on the 2.0 TDI reliability and longevity and the 1.9 are scarce...
Old 05-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
GRU
Master EcoModder

silver bullet - '00 Honda Civic
90 day: 34.41 mpg (US)
definetly get a TDI. But if buying used make sure the previous owner didn't do lots of short trips. some people belive if they get a TDI it will last them 400k miles (just like they should) but only do 3 mile trips which is death for a diesel

Old 05-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
This is an upgraded commute!!! I got tired of Suburbia, HOA's, and a city in need of infrastructure and a falling tax base!!!

I love where I live now!!! The drive is worth it!!
I also read that wrong. 102 miles, wow...

You should read this to see what you're giving up by keeping that commute:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...you-21858.html
Old 05-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

WOW lots of life coaches out there... Lets stay on topic here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I also read that wrong. 102 miles, wow...

You should read this to see what you're giving up by keeping that commute:

I am surprised how this is coming to be about where I choose to live and why? Nobody on here knows me or my situation... Don't judge me or make assumptions about me...

This is best for me and my family... I CHOSE to move somewhere where the air was clean, the water is pure, the food is fresh, the people are nice, where we could enjoy the outdoors and get away from the RAT RACE!!! I am happy!!! I only make that commute 3 days a week...

So if you wanna talk cars we're good... if you want to question my life choices just pass on by...
Old 05-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

3 days a week makes it a little more bearable, I guess. If you do plan on keeping that commute for a long time, and it sounds like that might be the case, I think you should go with the best TDI you can afford. Maintain it religiously and you should get a pretty long life from it.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
I am surprised how this is coming to be about where I choose to live and why? Nobody on here knows me or my situation... Don't judge me or make assumptions about me...

This is best for me and my family... I CHOSE to move somewhere where the air was clean, the water is pure, the food is fresh, the people are nice, where we could enjoy the outdoors and get away from the RAT RACE!!! I am happy!!! I only make that commute 3 days a week...

So if you wanna talk cars we're good... if you want to question my life choices just pass on by...

I'm simply showing you the facts of your commute. Our purpose here at ecomodder is to help you reduce your fuel consumption. We attempt to do this with many different techniques. By far your largest contributor to your consumption is the distance you travel. I'm not trying to 'life coach' you, but simply inform you of an area where you could see a very large improvement. If you don't want to do that that is your choice. No offense was intended.

I think any of the vehicles you've listed in your first post will suit you very well. The conventional vehicles (yaris/civic) will likely yield in the low to mid 40s for mileage depending on how avid a ecodriver you are. The TDI and Prius will yield in the 50s and possibly 60s for mileage and you won't have to put as much effort into driving them. It all depends if you're willing to pay the price premium for the TDI/Prius.