Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Some hypermiling techniques do add considerable time to your commute (like cruising speed reduction), and some don't (like timing lights and DWB). The best technique is to live closer to work. You'll use less gas AND spend less time driving.

I avoid some hypermiling techniques because the amount of fuel they save doesn't justify the amount of time they take. I rely on my car, not just driving technique, to get the fuel economy that I do.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
I can't NOT hypermile. Ever. Example last month - to the hospital for baby delivery. You know, got to get there NOW! It was freezing cold with light snow, I was obviously in a hurry, and I still got 43 mpg in a 31-rated car. I can assure you, nobody else driving at the legal speed limit would have gotten there faster.

Timing lights, coasting on downhills, looking far ahead and anticipating - these all work in any situation.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaleMelanesian For This Useful Post:
aero84 (04-07-2011), jkp1187 (03-21-2011)
Old 03-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Frugal Ecomodder

Focus - '02 Ford Focus ZTS
Team Ford
90 day: 30.63 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Maybe we should add "Set your alarm clock to 5 minutes earlier, then set a second alarm clock to 10 minutes earlier" to the Hypermiling Tips?
That's usually what I do. I use two alarm clocks, and I always leave for work much earlier than I need to, for many reasons. For one, it's so I don't feel rushed to work and I can take my time to drive efficiently, and also so I have extra time in case something unforseen like traffic congestion or an accident were to hold me up. On this day my body decided it needed to sleep in past my alarm clock, or in other words s**t happened.

I've been telling myself the 'big picutre' is what really counts, and one pesky inefficient trip isn't going to throw off my numbers too much as long as I keep up my smart driving on my future trips. In reality, saving 3-4 mpg on one commute doesn't amount to a whole lot in fuel savings...it's the long-term benefits that really make the difference.

Reply  Post New Thread