Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #81 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
That was just straight math. As noted the stops heavily influence trip times.

How much faster do you have to go to make up for, say, two 45-minute meal breaks?
595/80= 7hrs 24min; -90min= 6hrs 14min; you'd have to go 95.5mph
595/55= 10hrs 49min; -90min= 9hrs 19min; you'd have to go 63.8mph

Also slowing for towns or construction zones or any such thing means you'd have to otherwise go faster to maintain that average.

I usually have food and drink in the car, and when I fill with gas I FILL and then don't gas up again until near empty- except if there's a screaming deal on fuel I can't pass up- so my fuel/potty stops are much fewer and much quicker than that of the average bear's, as evidenced by me seeing certain vehicles pass me multiple times on the same trip. I get there at about the same time as the Speedy Gonzalez' do.
Hurray for being efficient, and laughing at others for wasting more to do barely the same. I also appreciate when someone speeds past me, and then I pass them, as they are on the side of the road- introducing themselves to a Statie.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #82 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

runnabout - '95 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 43.79 mpg (US)
I find it somewhat entertaining to see people get pulled over for speeding, I have always been one to mostly stay withen the PSL minus the few times when I was younger. I don't like to speed cuz I feel like I will be the one that is going to always get the ticket, and I don't want that. So when I see someone else get nailed for speeding it kinda brings a smile to my face.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #83 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
It's especially sweet when they blew past like I was standing still just a few miles before.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #84 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

If you want an honest answer minus the BS excuses IMHO people drive fast because driving is as much an emotional, visceral experience and extension of self as it is getting from A to B. It's an extension of their EGO driven by their ID. Some people are expressive and others passive, just as it is in every other form of social interaction.

I love high MPG cars but remember when the speed limit was 55 MPH nationally. As a computer service tech driving to my customers as much as a hundred miles or more away the slow speed and strict enforcement made traveling an arduous and mind numbing chore.

I don't drive really fast and often a little under the limit, but like short yellows on red light cameras some posted speeds feel more like revenue enhancement zones rather than public safety.

As is many things dealing with human behavior I try to be an example rather than telling others what to do. One of those things is learning to play well with others. YMMV.
The Following User Says Thank You to fidalgoman For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 03:10 AM   #85 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Toylet - '87 Toyota Supra 350 Chevy V8 / 700R4

In-Durrrr-Oh - '09 TMEC Enduro TMEC 200cc Enduro
90 day: 60.9 mpg (US)

Tem-poo - '86 Ford Tempo GL 4 Door 2.0 Liter Diesel 5 Speed
90 day: 47.52 mpg (US)

Ass Tick - '01 Pontiac Pontiac Aztek GT 5 Door

Green Baby Poop Stain - '01 Pontiac Aztek Aztek Base Model

Black Track - '01 Pontiac Aztek GT
Why do people drive so fast? People are stupid. Really wish I had a better answer than that. Doesn't matter how fast you go, someone will be on your tail trying to pass. Look at all the fast food places. Everyone is in a hurry, usually for no reason at all.
VT247
Old 08-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #86 (permalink)
Banned

Today I learned that anybody that disagrees with vacationtime247 is stupid.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #87 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationtime247 View Post
Why do people drive so fast?
Sometimes it helps to get somewhere on time after you've been stuck in an unexpected, unannounced traffic jam ...

It's weird, but even though driving slower / hypermiling didn't affect my commute times much, i can now actually catch up for lost time by driving faster ... well, as fast as I used to drive before I started hypermiling.

When I briefly reverted back to driving as fast as before I started hypermiling, I was still driving more fuel efficiently than before.

I guess once you've started hypermiling, you become more efficient at driving in general.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #88 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Everyone in Southern California drives like they stole their cars! Very frustrating when a red light is up ahead, I'm braking to capture the energy in my battery, and they are still nearly ramming me. No wonder we have so many heart attacks in this country!
Old 08-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #89 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationtime247 View Post
Why do people drive so fast? People are stupid. Really wish I had a better answer than that. Doesn't matter how fast you go, someone will be on your tail trying to pass. Look at all the fast food places. Everyone is in a hurry, usually for no reason at all.
VT247
I often think about this:

My father was reading an auto magazine a long time ago, motor trend comes to mind, and in the write in section there was a humourous posting. An individual was driving their Porsche at 160 on the Autobahn, just cruising not paying attention to his rear- when he noticed someone flashing his lights behind him- and a Ferrari was waiting to pass, and he was shortly blown away.

But that was in Germany.

As I drove at 55-65 mph today for two and a half hours, I noticed that I did pass cars- going the speed limit, I wasn't the slowest driver on the road.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #90 (permalink)
Chief Cook & Bottlewasher

Xterra - '13 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
90 day: 19.12 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I often think about this:

My father was reading an auto magazine a long time ago, motor trend comes to mind, and in the write in section there was a humourous posting. An individual was driving their Porsche at 160 on the Autobahn, just cruising not paying attention to his rear- when he noticed someone flashing his lights behind him- and a Ferrari was waiting to pass, and he was shortly blown away.

But that was in Germany.

As I drove at 55-65 mph today for two and a half hours, I noticed that I did pass cars- going the speed limit, I wasn't the slowest driver on the road.
Wow! I can't even fathom going "160 on the Autobahn, just cruising not paying attention to his rear ...". That'd be a white-knuckle, hyper attentive ride all the way for me!

Reply  Post New Thread