Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Back in the day all they cared about was kerosene for lighting and heat. Gasoline was let loose down the river as a waste product from most distilleries.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

kerosene

Although I am not legally authorized with so many beers (its 32C an I cooled myself down with beer) I'll try to answer your post. Yes in the days that man we made of steel and ships we made of wood they did that. And even a model T Ford could burn kerosene al well as ethanol (beers) and gasoline
Old 07-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterrr View Post
The temperature is kind of unknown because we don't know the inside temperature of the cylinder head.... My guess for the inside temperature when you really step on it constantly(going up a hill) would be 100C. But when you are accelerating and the water pump still turns slowly and the thermostats is still closed I guess it could run up to 110C.
Adiabatic process - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
a common example of adiabatic compression- the compression stroke in a gasoline engine... (lots of math) ...a final temperature of 751 K, or 477 °C, or 892 °F, well above the ignition point of many fuels. This is why a high compression engine requires fuels specially formulated to not self-ignite...
Old 07-20-2014, 03:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

condensation

Condensation is done on the cylinder head. The gasses are much hotter. It is like a drink with ice in it on a summers day. the water in the air will condensate onto the glass. But why is it so important start condensation with a low pressure?

The burning of fuel is a 3D process. Imagine all the available fuel represented by a sphere . The fuel is consumed from the middle outwards.
When you change something in the middle it will affect all the outer layers.
So when you start condensing all the outer layers are affected and that gives a cubicle instead of a linear effect. I have updated the PHP file

Last edited by peterrr; 07-20-2014 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: I have updated the PHP file
Old 07-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
spheres might cause a linear pressure change, looking at the shape of combustion chambers, I would expect less

If fuel condenses on the surface of the head, wouldn't that be the outer most edge?

Last edited by 2000mc; 07-20-2014 at 09:53 AM..
Old 07-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

sphere model

well it is olny a model for your thoughts and in the beginning when a little fiery balloon is floating through the combustion chamber a rather accurate one.
But I have explain somehow how small changes in the beginning lead to large changes at the end. It is best to read the explanation in the changed pdf file.
Combustion is almost like building a fire. There is a series of survivalists on TV where the always find some moss that will really burn well. Lets suppose they found a lot of it and also made a funnel shaped basket an filled it with the moss. They hang it from a branch and lite the piece of moss with a tinder.
Then they fan it and it gets going- first slowly and then with a great whoosh.
In engines this is the same you lite the mixture with a spark then fan it by compressing it. An example of things going bad is late ignition. You are not only late but you also don't fan enough so you become even later. Then when the fire gets going the piston goes down so it you cannot build up pressure and finally when the piston decelerates you build up pressure and heat but there is no way to expand it. The good thing is you burned all the gasoline in one whoosh, but the bad thing is you cannot use it. It only heats the engine

Last edited by peterrr; 07-20-2014 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: just so
Old 08-15-2014, 02:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Deedee - '09 Smart ForTwo Pure 999cc
90 day: 47.39 mpg (US)
Sometimes it is hard to apply the match to cause the appropriate ignition. The anti knock additives I found interesting IsoOctane? Today that may be toluene as often as may be the case. Its cool. Some high revving engines like those used in Indy racing achieve those high RPMs by lowering the compression. Engines are smart like that are getting sensorred all and calibration checks. Or in accidental advances.

Reply  Post New Thread