EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   01 Saturn SL1 is really impressing me (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/01-saturn-sl1-really-impressing-me-39812.html)

R.W.Dale 11-06-2021 11:49 AM

01 Saturn SL1 is really impressing me

1 Attachment(s)
40mpg at mostly interstate velocities is pretty good in my book for 1.9 litres

That's knocking at the door of geo metro mileage but with actual ac

If I can cure the HVAC stink and windows fogging I might have a pretty good $600 commuter on my hands.

The only mods have been 5 psi overinflation and some low level hypermiling (all after the first fill)

Joggernot 11-07-2021 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.W.Dale (Post 658424)
If I can cure the HVAC stink and windows fogging I might have a pretty good $600 commuter on my hands.

When this happened to me it turned out to be a leak in the heater that put moisture to fog the windows and brought the smell of the antifreeze into the compartment. Might look for this.

R.W.Dale 11-07-2021 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joggernot (Post 658447)
When this happened to me it turned out to be a leak in the heater that put moisture to fog the windows and brought the smell of the antifreeze into the compartment. Might look for this.

After exhausting all other possibilities I came to this as well. However I'm not losing coolant and don't smell antifreeze. I dug in and changed the heater core anyway hosed out the evaporator, removed a double handful of wet rotten leaves and I think fixed a stuck recirc door. I even removed all the carpet and sound insulation

I'll know if I fixed it today

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-07-2021 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.W.Dale (Post 658448)
I even removed all the carpet and sound insulation

Are you sure the removed insulation won't have any detrimental effect to the efficiency of the air conditioning?

R.W.Dale 11-07-2021 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 658451)
Are you sure the removed insulation won't have any detrimental effect to the efficiency of the air conditioning?

Seeing as it was soaking wet and growing fungus that's a chance I had to take lol

Saved about 80lbs

freebeard 11-07-2021 08:24 PM

Ready for a layer or two of Dynamat? https://www.dynamat.com/

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-08-2021 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.W.Dale (Post 658483)
Seeing as it was soaking wet and growing fungus that's a chance I had to take lol

Of course you had to take it out of the car, yet replacing it with something more resistent to moisture and easier to clean would be still beneficial somehow.

R.W.Dale 11-08-2021 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 658497)
Of course you had to take it out of the car, yet replacing it with something more resistent to moisture and easier to clean would be still beneficial somehow.

But then I'd have to fix all the leaks

The bare metal floorboard is pretty easy to take care of and not nearly as loud as you think. Plus it made the foot well area feel twice as large for a tall guy like me.

Even for a $600 car this thing was nasty inside. I literally pressure washed the seats and door panels.

It's just really not been a big deal to have it gone

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-08-2021 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.W.Dale (Post 658515)
But then I'd have to fix all the leaks

Do it the Paraguayan way :D

Quote:

The bare metal floorboard is pretty easy to take care of and not nearly as loud as you think.
I'd be more concerned about thermal insulation, to decrease the load on the air conditioning, than I would actually care about soundproofing.

Daschicken 11-13-2021 11:33 AM

Is the A/C smell only when you first turn it on? Try turning off the A/C a few minutes before you complete your trip, leaving the fan running.