EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   07 Tundra Project (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/07-tundra-project-24476.html)

GeekForLife 01-02-2013 12:55 PM

07 Tundra Project

Hi all I have been a lurker :cool: on this site for about 6 months or better.
I used some of the mods on by 2001 Toyota Sienna and increased the MPG from an average of 18 to 22 by taking out all the back seats, spare tire, and removal of the roof rack.

Now I have traded it in on a 2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double cab with the 5.7 V8
Good news for my job, terrible news for my MPG.
The average according to the trucks computer when I bought it was 14.4 mpg
My average since I bought it is 16.2.
I decided to join the site and participate as I wish to increase the mpg of this truck to at least 22

I have read through many threads on modifications and am trying to put a list together in order of biggest bang for the buck.

Any suggestions are most welcome, keeping in mind that I still have to drive it for my job so I cant stick out like a sore thumb and I can not hurt the functionality.

I like the following ideas
  1. Front bumper skirt
  2. Operational Kamback Shell
  3. Side Mirrors replaced with cameras

The ones I have questions on are
Cold air Intake
Exhaust
Plexiglass over Recessed Fog lights

My questions are on price and return more then anything else

JRMichler 01-02-2013 01:26 PM

Well, here's what I've done to my truck with some MPG results: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...yon-17070.html.

I made fog light covers, but that was because the first time I really needed fog lights, they did not work because the heavy snow had filled the cavity. I estimate the MPG effect of fog light covers as "zero".

GeekForLife 01-02-2013 05:21 PM

JR
Thanks awesome thread, Love the Topper exactly what I had in mind.
I will probably study those pictures over and over to follow the same concept of your construction.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 01-02-2013 09:55 PM

Have you ever considered a Diesel swap?

user removed 01-02-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 348441)

Not possible in the USA since there was never a diesel version of the tundra imported to or built in the USA.

regards
Mech

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 01-02-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 348473)
Not possible in the USA since there was never a diesel version of the tundra imported to or built in the USA.

There are some folks back there who are performing Diesel swaps in many vehicles which never went into the American market with a factory-fitted Diesel, without any harm as long as it meets the emissions requirements for the vehicle's manufacturing year. Depending on each state procedures, some can even manage to adapt older, fully-mechanical engines such as the Cummins 4BT and the Isuzu 4BD1-T even into newer OBD2-compliant vehicles.

GeekForLife 01-02-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 348441)

If it was possible the price would rule that out for me

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 01-05-2013 02:27 AM

It's actually possible, altough the cost is not really so cheap for an install so clean that could look almost like a factory fit.

Anyway, a Diesel swap is an easy way to get at least 30MPG in a truck :D

chrisgerman1983 01-05-2013 09:32 AM

do you have power fold in mirrors? That would make em easy to fold in on the highway. You could make something to streamline the front of them when they are folded in?

chrisgerman1983 01-05-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeekForLife (Post 348365)
JR
Thanks awesome thread, Love the Topper exactly what I had in mind.
I will probably study those pictures over and over to follow the same concept of your construction.

good idea :thumbup: That is a nice topper!