EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   09 Suzuki Tu250x (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/09-suzuki-tu250x-22731.html)

user removed 07-25-2012 11:00 PM

09 Suzuki Tu250x

I am fairly sure I will be getting one of these bikes in the next few days.
Thumper cruiser with fuel injection. Light weight with potential to get over 80 MPG. Under 3k miles and $2300. Keep your fingers crossed for me :thumbup:.

regards
Mech

gil 07-25-2012 11:58 PM

Good looking bike, not to mention fuel injection. 2300 is a good price for it to. I wish my Virago 250 were fuel injected.

Good luck.

alvaro84 07-26-2012 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 318725)
I am fairly sure I will be getting one of these bikes in the next few days.
Thumper cruiser with fuel injection. Light weight with potential to get over 80 MPG. Under 3k miles and $2300. Keep your fingers crossed for me :thumbup:.

I do. That would be a nice catch, and a promising rig for mpg :)

user removed 07-26-2012 05:50 PM

Well it looks like I will pick it up Saturday right around 1PM. It's got a fairly long stroke for a 250CC bike, compression is a little low at 9.2 to 1 so it should run fine on cheap regular. The PO changed the front sprocket for 15 to 16 teeth so that should help mileage some. We will pick it up in my brothers truck and haul it back home, so it won't be on the road before Monday. We had a trip planned that would get us within 20 miles anyway.

I'll keep everyone informed about mileage and performance, really looking forward to this little bike. May even take a little road trip on that baby on some of my favorite old US Routes.

regards
Mech

user removed 07-28-2012 07:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got it. DC beltway nightmare traffic coming back south to Williamsburg.
Some pics. PO had some nasty injuries from a wreck on a different bike.

regards
Mech

Bruce 07-28-2012 09:37 PM

Man, that's nice. :thumbup:

redpoint5 07-28-2012 09:39 PM

All that old tech and it still has FI! Looking forward to your MPG results.

jkv357 07-28-2012 10:31 PM

Congrats!

Should be able to put up some good numbers with that set-up.

euromodder 07-30-2012 02:14 PM

As long as you don't expect power, you'll love it ;)

A local bike mag tested one back in ... 1998 or 1999 :eek:
They were called Volty here.

http://www.motorbikes.be/en/Suzuki_Volty_2000.aspx

That's right, it's been around since then, and that's what the X originally referred to, 1999 in Suzuki year-coding.

Back then, it used a carburetor, and returned under 3 L/100km or over 78 mpg, even in the hands of bike journalists !

It should do nothing worse than minor miracles in its current EFI form and in the hands of a hypermiler.

Back in the day, we even had it's little sister, the TU125 :
http://www.motorbikes.be/en/Suzuki_TU_125_X_2000.aspx

user removed 07-30-2012 02:25 PM

Rode it 60 miles today, got the tags and registration and a state inspection. I filled the tank and it took just under 2.4 gallons. The reserve light was on when I filled, so I don't know how long it was on before I refilled.
If I could only own one motorcycle this would be the one. I'm going to ride it until the low fuel light comes on again, should be between 200-230 miles when that happens.
Highest speed was about 63 MPH. The engine seems to have plenty left at that speed. Good low end torque and ample power for me in traffic. I wouldn't mind running it on the interstate at 65 but I don't need to and the Interstate here is the first thing that gets plugged up in an accident, or even in normal traffic, especially in the summer.
This bike is air cooled, single cylinder, with EFI, 02 sensor and a catalytic converter. It has one camshaft and two valves, one intake and one exhaust. The valve adjustments are super easy, with circular access plugs like the old Honda CB, but all of the adjustment is accomplished through the plugs. You can check and adjust the exhaust without removing the tank, but the tank needs to be removed to do the intake.
I had problems with back pain on my CBR250R but this bike's riding position is perfect for me. I can tuck at higher speeds and then sit upright if it bothers my back.
While it is not very fast up to 60 MPH, it pulls very nice away from lights, up to 45, and I don't have to worry about being run over by traffic, which is a huge plus for me.
I pumped the tires up to 35 PSI for the first tank to see what my mileage will be. Looking at Fuelly, I think I should be close to 90 MPG on my first tank. That would be excellent since it would be twice the average of the Fiesta.
This bike is my ideal combination of modern technology, with old time simplicity. One plug, two valves, no carb, no points. Im my opinion that is the best of old and new. The cooling fins on the cylinder are very deep and should provide plenty of cooling for the sedate type of riding I do in general. I also like the fact that is has no radiator or water pump, or coolant hoses to fail, simplicity is the best, with the reliability of the FI and CD ignition.
Oil change intervals are 3k miles, with a filter replacement every other change. The filter cartridge is in a plate, on the bottom of the crankcase, with the drain plug in the center. Probably one filter a season and two changes. The spark plug is easily acessible. The low fuel warning light should give me about 40 safe miles of range when it comes on. Since my normal ride is 20 each way, I shlould be able to wait for the best price gas even with the light on. The electric fuel pump is mounted to the bottom of the tank, instead of inside the tank itself, which should reduce fuel starvation when the fuel level is low.
With a top speed of about 76 MPH, the bike may not be strong enough for a Vetter competition, but it would be neat to make some aero panels and see how much faster it might go, but that can wait a while.

regards
Mech