EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   12 cent federal gas tax increase coming? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/12-cent-federal-gas-tax-increase-coming-29269.html)

Frank Lee 06-19-2014 02:45 AM

12 cent federal gas tax increase coming?

Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

US Senators Propose 12-Cent Gas Tax Increase | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul

Baltothewolf 06-19-2014 03:18 AM

And this is why we hypermile :D. F U gas prices.

redpoint5 06-19-2014 05:36 AM

I could get behind the tax increase if they used the money to make traffic management more intelligent. Smarter signal lights that are timed in sequence with others, that adjust dynamically with changes in traffic demand.

I'll happily give the extra 12 cents per gallon if I stand a chance of making it back by not not stopping as often.

Otherwise, I find the current infrastructure to be adequate. Go to any other country, developed or undeveloped, and you will not find smoother roads.

cowmeat 06-19-2014 05:42 AM

Hope they put my 48 cents a week to good use, I work hard for my money!

redneck 06-19-2014 06:07 AM

They could raise it .50 cents a gallon. Or, even $2.00 a gallon.

It wouldn't matter, as any money collected would be misappropriated anyway.

Quote:

The plan offered by Sens. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., and Bob Corker, R-Tenn., would raise the 18.4-cents-a-gallon federal gas tax and 24.4-cents-a- gallon diesel tax by 12 cents each over the next two years, and then index the taxes to keep pace with inflation.
A perpetual way of increasing revenue...

>

Fat Charlie 06-19-2014 08:44 AM

Federal gas taxes were last adjusted in 1993, and the dollar has dropped a bit in value since then. We're collecting money at 1993 prices and spending it at 2014 prices, which doesn't actually work. Indexing things to inflation increases the nominal amount collected helping keep the amount collected stay steady relative to the things you have to spend it on.

The roads in my area are smooth too, but maintaining bridges is very expensive. Not as expensive as letting them fall down, though.

Frank Lee 06-19-2014 09:06 AM

My State has so much money they can't think of anything better to do with it than build stadiums for any and every ball-chasing entity that asks for... I mean, demands one. You'd think they could drop the State sales taxes some but nooooooo.

mechman600 06-19-2014 09:18 AM

It's hilarious when Americans complain about gas prices. It's $5.50/gallon here. Heck, it's $8.25/gallon including exchange rate in the UK. The difference is mostly tax.

redneck 06-19-2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechman600 (Post 430542)
It's hilarious when Americans complain about gas prices. It's $5.50/gallon here. Heck, it's $8.25/gallon including exchange rate in the UK. The difference is mostly tax.

Fify.

The difference is tax.

>

fbov 06-19-2014 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 430539)
...The roads in my area are smooth too, but maintaining bridges is very expensive. Not as expensive as letting them fall down, though.

+1
Accident Investigations - NTSB - National Transportation Safety Board

BRIDGE COLLAPSES ON THE THRUWAY, TRAPPING VEHICLES - NYTimes.com

I drive under the lowest rated bridge in my county every day, and over one that's 100+ years old... and a third is sister to the I35 bridge in Minneapolis. IF they spend it on the infrastructure, I won't complain.

But that's a big IF!

HAve fun,
Frank