EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Saving@Home (https://ecomodder.com/forum/saving-home.html)
-   -   120 Watt Space Heater (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/120-watt-space-heater-30330.html)

Gasoline Fumes 10-27-2014 12:07 AM

120 Watt Space Heater

I haven't turned on the baseboard electric heat yet and it's almost November. Not feeling warm enough and wishing for some heat at my desk, I came up with a solution. Why heat a whole room when I can just heat the area where I am? I now have a 120 watt floodlight bulb mounted under my desk, aimed at my legs. I'm too warm now, and the room temperature has not gone up. This room is about 1200 cubic feet. The leg area of this metal desk is closed on three sides, so I get all the heat from the bulb. The desk surface warms up nicely too. The 120 watt bulb (reflector style) is a bit too much, the heat from a standard 60 watt bulb isn't even noticeable under the desk.

Silent, no fan kicking up dust and uses 8% of the power my space heater would use!

I'll probably break the light with my knees! :eek: I should put a cage around it.

Frank Lee 10-27-2014 01:04 AM

"Extreme zone heating"- I have the patent on it!

extreme zone heating - Google Search

Christ 10-27-2014 02:07 AM

Try a 60 watt heat lamp instead of a regular bulb... No point in lighting an area you aren't viewing, right?

redpoint5 10-27-2014 02:22 AM

It's 62 degrees in the house right now. Not much sun this week, so the temp has been steadily decreasing. Last year I turned on the heat Nov 1st, but I'll have to turn it on when the wife returns Tuesday.

I heat with gas forced air to 67 degrees F.

sendler 10-27-2014 06:11 AM

I have been using the same set up with a 100 Watt reflector style white heat lamp mounted under my desk in a clip on reflector style base. My cat worships it like the Sun. The white light actually sprays out to light up the room quite well along with an 8 Watt CFL desk lamp. I have one under my workbench at work where I sit at the keyboard also. It warms your legs but also the desk top where your arms are resting so everything you touch is warm. Perfect solution. Everyone that sits at a desk in winter should have one. The one at work is an invisible lizard lamp for stealth but they are expensive and the cheap white heat lamp from the farm store works just as well.

Fat Charlie 10-27-2014 08:38 AM

'Tis the season...

Almost time to get out the heat lamp.
And the painted styrofoam panel for the sliding glass door.
And the bubble wrap "blankets" for the upstairs windows.

Baltothewolf 10-27-2014 09:42 AM

Omg how can you people handle the cold! If it's under 70F I'm uncomfortable, 65 I'm cold and under 60 I'm freezing. My comfort zone is 78-85, but I don't mind 110+ as long as I have a straw hat and access to water.

Frank Lee 10-27-2014 09:47 AM

You get used to it. I visited Cal in the "winter" and ran around in t-shirts and shorts while the natives bundled up like they were in Siberia. :rolleyes:

52 in the house these days. I refuse to start the furnace before Novembrr.

Miller88 10-27-2014 11:03 AM

Have electric baseboard heating. And HUGELY inefficient sliding glass doors in both my bedroom and living room - as in, you can feel the wind blowing in through them.

I'm in Central NY and have National Greed as electric provider. They quadroupled my rates last winter. So this winter the heat is staying off until it's not possible to survive without it any more.

I have a few incandescent bulbs that may get turned on to do a bit of zone heating if needed.

Fat Charlie 10-27-2014 11:59 AM

Get a foam panel at Lowe's Depot. Trim to fit with a razor knife, white duct tape it in place, and if you paint it then it looks like it belongs there.