Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
OH to NC: 43 MPG. NC to OH: 46 MPG

August 18th, at 2230 I left my home to Raleigh NC. I drove approximately 120 miles so I could fill up. I then drove 548.658 miles to Raleigh at my friends residence, and then a bit of city to fill up my tank- the fill up was on the 20th. This took 12.711 gallons, giving my 43.16 MPG for the trip to NC.

After filling up, I drove over 75 miles in the city. Heading back on the 21st, I filled up less than 125 miles from Raleigh while heading back to Cleveland. At 205.02, I filled and had 40.15 MPG. From here, I continued the 11 hour and 15 minute trip to the fuel station nearest my house (note I did not originally fill up here as I wanted to keep my average up for tank size).

I was told the way back would be better fuel economy, and didn't believe it...but clearly there was a difference! I was ecstatic to get 43 on the way down- but 46 mpg really blew me away.

Some notes on the drive- I did a LOT of EOC, which NC driving is great for. I had a bit of fun, and the U turns didn't help me when we were in the city, and the two tunnels I went through going home (on the 46 mpg tank) DESTROYED my mpg. I couldn't resist the sound. Tunnel one took me from 46 to 43, and tunnel two took me from 44 to 43.

On the way there, if the speed limit was 40 to 50, I aimed for that. 55, I kept 50, 60+ I kept 55- unless EOCing, which I was exceeding 80 at one point- and the tunnels I, uhh, may have exceeded the speed limit by a mph or two...The way down could have been better, if people understood that the left lane is not the correct spot to drive next to a car and brake. It amazes me how people can fly up a 70 mph hill, yet brake to 60 all the way down the other end. At the highest peak, I creeped over at 45 mph, then coasted up to 80+, where I did have to put it in gear and down shift to stop from driving into people in the left lane going the EXACT same speed at the car in the right. On the way back, I started to pay attention to my coasts as well as I could (safely), and on the return trip I made 1.8 miles.

This exceptional performance has me focused on clear rear wheel skirts, and further down the line, possibly clear wheel covers over my rims. As bad as I want to just do cardboard rear wheel skirts, and pizza pans, I find my vehicle too beautiful to just do it that way. I am open to black wheel skirts, but that is still in development.

I appreciate all constructive feedback!

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread