EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Unicorn Corral (https://ecomodder.com/forum/unicorn-corral.html)
-   -   18% increase! (Fuel Doctor FD-47 busted by Consumer Reports) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/18-increase-fuel-doctor-fd-47-busted-consumer-12792.html)

Philscar 03-30-2010 11:57 AM

18% increase! (Fuel Doctor FD-47 busted by Consumer Reports)

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_hpxN6ZUy6C8/S7...2/IMG_1132.JPG
Is this for real?
It's in the new Hammacher Schlemmer catalogue.18% increase is substantial if the claim is valid.

Phil

Daox 03-30-2010 12:49 PM

Load of bs.

MadisonMPG 03-30-2010 12:57 PM

I have one, I paid 30,000 shillings for it back in the 1920s when the Iraq war was just starting , I bought it to improve my llama's efficiency.

Rob10_99 03-30-2010 01:36 PM

How is that supposed to do anything purely plugged into the cig lighter.....

They sure failed on this one.

mobythevan 03-30-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

I bought it to improve my llama's efficiency
I can only imagine where you are plugging it in :D

AlaricD 03-30-2010 02:06 PM

Imagine plugging two or THREE of these babies in! That'll convert other cars' emissions into fuel and fill up your tank!

MARTINSR 03-30-2010 02:14 PM

Can we say "fraudulent"? How in the world can you even say such a thing in the ad? That is simply ludicrous!

Here it is for sale..Current Regulating Fuel Efficiency Booster Coolest Gadgets

Amazing, amazing I say!

Brian

Frank Lee 03-30-2010 02:31 PM

I just like to run up and down the hall screaming "Hammacher Schlemmer!" "Hammacher Schlemmer!" "Hammacher Schlemmer!" ... with scissors, too.

aerohead 03-30-2010 06:06 PM

kitchenware

Lorena Bobbitt has acquired the home addresses for the respectable owners of this fine manufacturer and is on the way with her best kitchenware.
She's been improving her throwing arm,and promises that no one will ever recover the objects of her consumer protection act.
On an up note,the Vienna Boy's choir is excited about the new sopranos in the making.

RandomFact314 03-30-2010 06:34 PM

Anyone who gets this is defiantly a sucker

The only MPG you would get from this is you having a lighter foot trying to save gas... You can buy a 50 cent sticker and put it over the lighter hole and possibly get the same effect haha

Lazarus 03-30-2010 08:42 PM

There's always people who put stuff down when they have never tried it. I've purchased one and followed the instruction guide and was able to acheive 75% over EPA.

As always YMMV :p

MARTINSR 03-31-2010 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus (Post 168491)
There's always people who put stuff down when they have never tried it. I've purchased one and followed the instruction guide and was able to acheive 75% over EPA.

LOLOLOLOL, how true, how true!

Brian

tdibubble 03-31-2010 01:20 AM

Damn that's like impossible, yet clearly not!:eek:

markweatherill 03-31-2010 04:38 AM

It has three LEDs on it, doesn't it? Well, LEDs are energy saving, aren't they?

MARTINSR 03-31-2010 09:51 AM

This is true, the first generation current regulator had fluoresent and only saved about 5%.

Brian

http://www.chinatraderonline.com/Fil...2135148051.jpg

MadisonMPG 03-31-2010 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobythevan (Post 168426)
I can only imagine where you are plugging it in :D

He doesn't like it very much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandomFact314 (Post 168465)
You can buy a 50 cent sticker and put it over the lighter hole and possibly get the same effect haha

Better, because there is less alternator draw.

DonR 03-31-2010 12:04 PM

Now that we're done joking about this piece of crap, Would properly isolating the ecu from the rest of the electrical system have any benefits? I realize that few of us have the ability to do this and I am not one of them.

Don

MaxHedrm 03-31-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonR (Post 168578)
Now that we're done joking about this piece of crap, Would properly isolating the ecu from the rest of the electrical system have any benefits? I realize that few of us have the ability to do this and I am not one of them.

Don

It might. A cleaner signal from various sensors could make for more accurate air/fuel adjustments. 18%? I doubt it.

As for what this does, perhaps it works like noise canceling headphones and maybe a large capacitor to try to even out current spikes & variations. Or something. 18% still seems incredibly ..uh.. optimistic. I wonder why they specify "at least 2 years old"?

MaxHedrm 03-31-2010 12:21 PM

Here it is online...
The Current Regulating Vehicle Fuel Efficiency Booster - Hammacher Schlemmer

Hmmm... they have a lifetime satisfaction guarantee...

Quote:

Should any product fail to meet your expectations, for any reason, simply return it with proof of purchase. We will replace it, refund the cost of the item less shipping and service fees, or credit your credit card, depending on your original payment method.

aerohead 03-31-2010 06:14 PM

Epa

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus (Post 168491)

Not to be disrespectful but,EPA mileage numbers account for very little in the real world.
A recent example would be my friend John Gilkison's new non-hybrid Civic which is getting 11-mpg better than EPA rating,and he's done nothing at all to the car.That's about a 34% 'improvement.'

Lazarus 03-31-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 168627)
Not to be disrespectful but,EPA mileage numbers account for very little in the real world.
A recent example would be my friend John Gilkison's new non-hybrid Civic which is getting 11-mpg better than EPA rating,and he's done nothing at all to the car.That's about a 34% 'improvement.'

*Sigh*

mobythevan 03-31-2010 10:03 PM

Stock ECUs have very good noise filtering from the factory. I have worked with electronics and eletrical systems for many years, I am not convinced any more noise filtering throughout the car system would yield a measureable difference.

tdibubble 04-01-2010 12:36 AM

Yeah what would be inside one of these things? A capacitor possibly?

hummingbird 04-01-2010 02:48 AM

And I am curious what those 3 LEDs might indicate - The gadget is only connected to battery and GND through the adapter plug. And what kind of filtering can it provide, when the wires go round and round the car (the adapter is fed through the ignition switch) before getting connected to the ECU? (I doubt whether it is directly or through a distribution panel)

In lighter vein, they should include a vibrator and a rechargeable battery set inside.

orange4boy 04-01-2010 03:19 AM

Two things are happening when you use the "Probe" that help efficiency. One, your wallet is lighter so the car is easier to accelerate and two, you are driving slower because you are watching the blinky lights on the shaft and wondering why you don't go out more often with the guys for daiquiris.

roflwaffle 04-01-2010 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadisonMPG (Post 168419)
I have one, I paid 30,000 shillings for it back in the 1920s when the Iraq war was just starting , I bought it to improve my llama's efficiency.

http://wiki.urbandead.com/images/a/a7/Drama_Llama.jpg

Philscar 04-01-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philscar (Post 168405)
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_hpxN6ZUy6C8/S7...2/IMG_1132.JPG
Is this for real?
It's in the new Hammacher Schlemmer catalogue.18% increase is substantial if the claim is valid.

Phil

I sent an email to Hammacher Schlemmer asking if they provided Snake Oil with the fuel economy booster and they replied with a link to the site below which boast of a 25% increase!!!!Which proves that computers won't reject ones and zeros no matter how silly the claims are.

Fuel Doctor FD-47 Fuel Efficiency Booster - Improves Firing, Increases Power, Reduces Emissions

Phil

MaxHedrm 04-01-2010 09:27 PM

Their site makes it sound like a big capacitor. I love that they call the ECU the "Electrical Control Unit" ... Engine Control Unit. Brilliant. But they sponsor a race, car, so it must work. :rolleyes:

MetroMPG 04-01-2010 09:40 PM

Good find, Phil. Enjoyed reading the group's feedback. :)

Lazarus 04-01-2010 09:44 PM

Here's the link to the lab results.

mcrews 04-01-2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadisonMPG (Post 168419)

I gotta ask.........

where do you plug it in on the Llama????!!!!!????

aerohead 04-03-2010 02:26 PM

technical

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus (Post 168803)
Here's the link to the lab results.

I searched my soul and re-visited my AC/DC Circuits text from college.Here's my opinion.
* The device is a 'load'.
* The current flows one-way to the device,as a DC circuit is not 'interactive' back to any source or other load.
* By replacing a cigarette lighter, operating continuously( you've got to think like an attorney ),you reduce the alternator load by up to 18% of it's maximum current output.
* 18% of the fuel which would otherwise be consumed operating the alternator to feed the cigarette lighter load is 'saved.'
* So in 'lawyer-speak',you've increased your fuel economy by 18% of the fine-print.
* The power consumption of the device is that of three LEDs,which is next to zero,so the net load of the device is essentially zero,so you may claim you're saving the entire 18%.
* Only the Ameriscam Bar Association can fully appreciate the full creative use of the English language within print advertising.

cfg83 04-03-2010 08:40 PM

Hello -

This is another one of these gizmos :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ons-12720.html
Quote:

Hot Inazma Pocket Super (Capacitor)
Do NOT mistake this as the older "non-Super" model please! Hot Inazma Pocket Super is a new voltage stabilizer based on Hot Inazma technology. This new 2009 "Super" model uses higher-capacity capacitor than the original one. Connect it to your cigarette socket to get peak operation efficiency. A/C, stereo, lightings & many other electrical components in your vehicle are constantly creating a load on your car's electrical systems. These cause fluctuations in voltage which prevents the vehicle from performing at optimum efficiency. Hot Inazma Pocket is designed to stabilize battery voltage for enhanced electrical system efficiency. It also saves on gas, reduces emissions, brightens lights, reduces audio noise interference, purifies the cabin air by emitting negative ions (rated at 2,500~3,000 ions per cm3). New 2009 model uses dual 470 µF capacitors.

Yours for $135. But, at least they don't claim an 18% increase in MPG.

CarloSW2

2win2rbo 04-05-2010 08:00 AM

What the?

mcguire 04-06-2010 11:33 AM

How We Measure Emissions and Fuel Economy

Quote:

Emissions are reported in grams per mile (gm/mi) format per the CFR. Fuel economy is measured by calculating the total Carbon in the exhaust (from the Total HC, CO, and CO2 readings). The Carbon content of the gasoline (or other Carbon-based fuel like Natural Gas, Ethanol, Propane, etc.) is a known quantity and the volume of fuel used can be calculated (the Carbon-Balance method is basically “what goes in must come out”). The distance traveled is divided by the volume of fuel used providing the mpg result.
How_We_Measure_Emissions_and_Fuel_Economy_AAA_%20A utomobile_Research_Center.pdf

kanaloa 05-01-2010 09:02 PM

So I guess that's a thumbs down, eh? Except for the Lorena Bobbit bit.

mcrews 07-04-2010 01:43 AM

Ok,
The damn thing was at the checkout counter at best buy....It jumped in my cart.....

the 30day money back sold me.....

I ran the exact same trip tonight that i ran last night. about 8 miles down hwy 80 from Roseville to Watt ave. Wide freeway gentle 'hills' maybe 50 feet.
Temp was 10 degrees warmer tonight at 9pm.
ran 60 mph w/cruise set. ran a// on auto at 72.
fia was 100 tonight 89 last night
already driving 25 miles befor the test strip
tonight I had my dog and a couple xtra boxes of paperwork.
got 30.7mpg last night w/o the fuel doc
got 32.2mpg tonight with the fuel doc

I also drove to dublin today and ran ther fuel doc on and off on variuos flat stretches.
agian not a true test, but, again using the cruise control at 60mph the fuel doc was about 2mpgs better.

ShadeTreeMech 07-04-2010 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 182216)
Ok,
The damn thing was at the checkout counter at best buy....It jumped in my cart.....

the 30day money back sold me.....

Maybe it's shorting something out in the trip computer LOL

And I always considered you a smart chap for having an Infiniti.......

I'd have done the same thing, most likely.

Of course, for the money, I'd have bought a Cap. For 50 bucks you'd have 2 farads of capacitance (which is a s&*load) and it's the real deal. And it most certainly would have ironed out spikes; all the way up to 1000 watts! If it can handle spikes from mosfet amps pushing 4 12s without dimming the lights, yeah, it's good.

EdKiefer 07-04-2010 10:22 AM

As others have said it sounds like 12v capacitor filtering system , and seems small if it is .
The thing the ECU have self regulated voltage for critical sensors (5v ref voltage in most systems) and the battery does good job of filtering the 12v . Only way I can believe these types of filters work if either battery was very small or bad condition for vehicles load or vehicle wiring had bad grounds or something preventing properly working charging/12v systems .

If you look at this PDF in one of links provided above .
They show how pulse width of injector is smaller with the unit installed. Ok I not going to dispute that but the O2 sensor is in closed loop and IMO would of kept A/F the same (within some % of error)during cruising .

http://www.fueldoctorusa.com/pdf/BOS..._3_results.pdf

ChopsQube 07-04-2010 11:47 AM

I was going to say roughly the same thing about the battery. If the battery is in good shape and charging normally, that's pretty much all the stabilization the electrical system needs.

Not only that, but if you have a Scan Gauge or an aftermarket volt meter (that doesn't have built-in suppression), heck, even a simple digital multimeter, you can see how steady the voltage is while the car is running, especially at speed and after the alternator is up to full working temp.

The only component that would need any kind of filtration would be the ECU, but the ECU already has sufficient filtration built in, hence no need for such nonsense as the "anal probe" that the Fuel Doc is ripping people off with.