EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   1925 bike (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/1925-bike-13375.html)

bgd73 05-26-2010 10:09 PM

1925 bike

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...b87/bike35.jpg

ShadeTreeMech 05-26-2010 10:42 PM

I'll buy one!

TomO 05-27-2010 10:28 AM

Wow, 35 mph in something that big being only human powered! It must have some serious gearing in it.

Bicycle Bob 05-27-2010 03:53 PM

Gearing can't raise power, only optimize torque. This is probably a sliding-seat rower. A 1930 version had front wheel drive by a drive strap attached to the seat and handlebars, and a passenger seat in back. The speed comes from the streamlining, despite the increased frontal area.

So, it's not a bicycle, more a quadrastroker. Let's settle on Velomobile (rowing)

ShadeTreeMech 05-27-2010 04:04 PM

In my biking days I could maintain 30-35 mph on a normal bike on a flat area. If I had a recumbent bicycle, I bet I could have gotten to 35-45 on a flat due to being able to use all the strength in my legs rather than just the amount of weight I carried in my caboose (not much) Back then I could leg press 700 lbs with both legs. With a recumbent that would be 350 lbs pressing the pedals, vs the 150 I weighed.

Most bicycles are ridiculously non aerodynamic. That guy that got 250 mpg from his honda scooter added weight with the fairings, but they paid off. Can't see why it wouldn't be the same with human power.

Frank Lee 05-27-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech (Post 176470)
In my biking days I could maintain 30-35 mph on a normal bike on a flat area. If I had a recumbent bicycle, I bet I could have gotten to 35-45 on a flat due to being able to use all the strength in my legs.

World class ridin'! :eek:

Note that the world record for conventional bicycles is a mere 49.7 km/h set by Czech Ondrej Sosenka in July 2005.

49.7 kilometer/hour = 30.8 mile/hour (mph)

aerohead 06-19-2010 05:00 PM

human power

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech (Post 176470)
In my biking days I could maintain 30-35 mph on a normal bike on a flat area. If I had a recumbent bicycle, I bet I could have gotten to 35-45 on a flat due to being able to use all the strength in my legs rather than just the amount of weight I carried in my caboose (not much) Back then I could leg press 700 lbs with both legs. With a recumbent that would be 350 lbs pressing the pedals, vs the 150 I weighed.

Most bicycles are ridiculously non aerodynamic. That guy that got 250 mpg from his honda scooter added weight with the fairings, but they paid off. Can't see why it wouldn't be the same with human power.

The T-100 has been dead for a couple weeks now( faulty pulse generator inside distributor.It's fixed now,pick it up Monday) and I've been commuting the 14-mile roundtrip by mountain bike when I visit EcoModder.
Today,and last Saturday we've had a south wind and it essentially cancels 'downhill'.
You can really sense the high drag on a bike,and the whole way here I was fantasizing about a fully enclosed recumbent like Vector/Varna of something of that nature.

Tweety 06-19-2010 07:05 PM

On a non faired encumbent I do around 30 mph steady speed... And I'm fairly fit... I'm pretty sure I could challenge that world record on a normal bike though going flat out like a madman for a short dash... Wouldn't last very long though... How long did he maintain speed for?

MPaulHolmes 06-19-2010 11:47 PM

I can go 40 mph on my electric bike, but that's sort of cheating. The legal limit is 20 I think, and I feel really really bad inside about it.

Christopher Jordan 06-20-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes (Post 179822)
The legal limit is 20 I think

Same in CA. I stayed under 20 and no problem. I have no idea why the surprising top speed boost came from a simple upgrade this year, but I had the converter changed from a 15 to a 50 (don't know what that number is for) for better acceleration; that is all. But it is faster.

Now I have a problem. It goes over my pedalling speed so that EV is not really legal anymore. It is not smooth on bike trails as it was, is very "squirrelly" when accelerating, and is making slipping noises now.

Not sure if it is self-destructing or what.