EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   1984 Civic (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/1984-civic-28711.html)

aktacoma 04-14-2014 02:32 PM

1984 Civic

Well I just sold my 96 tacoma, now I found a 84 civic on craigslist with 130,000 miles on it.

Sounds like a sweet little car. never having owned a car I'm sure the mpg will be really nice to see.

Anyone have one of these?

what mods make the biggest difference?
d

gone-ot 04-14-2014 02:46 PM

Yep, I had a 1984 Civic DX 1.5L CVCC engine, 5-speed manual, A/C. Easily got 40-44 mpg with mostly urban/highway driving (40-55 mph).

That engine has the Compound-Vortex-Combustion Chamber (CVCC) head with 3-values: a tiny small intake for initial combusion chamber (similar to diesel) and then regular intake and exhaust. Up to the point where 'other' heat damage occurs, the hotter the engine is run, the better the MPG you'll get!

aktacoma 04-14-2014 03:09 PM

yeah its a 1500 S with a 5 speed I believe first thing I already have an electric fan for it so I will try and make that work and then on to aero mods and kill switch

if I got 25 mpg ave in my tacoma I was content!

cant wait to pinch pennies in this lil car

user removed 04-14-2014 03:50 PM

12 to 1 AFR in the prechamber and 18 to 1 in the main combustion chamber. Never heard of a 1.6 originally in an 84 Civic. I had a 1.5 CRX, bought new,made in July 83, number 1018.
The S was the sportier version, I think.

regards
Mech

MetroMPG 04-14-2014 04:11 PM

I had one! Manual shift, manual choke hatchback. Not the sport model.

I don't remember much about it, because I didn't drive it for more than about a month.

It cost $265.

It got ~50 mpg (US) on a relaxed highway trip (@ ~95 km/h / 59 mph), which kind of blew my mind (I was just starting to get interested in fuel economy at the time).

It also blew its head gasket. That ended my first foray into Honda ownership.

I do remember it being a fun little car to drive, too.

aktacoma 04-14-2014 04:29 PM

how many miles do they typically last? is it like any other honda if well taken care of it can reach say 250k miles?

this ones selling for $1450 but with two sets of tires..

if the mileage really is awesome, once I feel comfortable I might drive it to the states later on this summer or fall

aktacoma 04-15-2014 07:49 PM

So I bought the car, $1300 and it has two sets of tires. will fill it up later and get a baseline started.

Is the only instrumentation I can do a vacuum gauge?

Looking at doing a boat tail and using the extra space so I can sleep in it.
Thoughts?

gone-ot 04-15-2014 08:46 PM

FWIW...if it is the base model without a tachometer like mine was, you can buy & simply plug-in a whole dash assembly from the next model up...that's what I did. I used my electric drill to "fast-forward" the odometer milage until it matched the original odo milage.

MetroMPG 04-15-2014 09:13 PM

Congrats. Pics please! :D

I don't know how far the guys have gone with digital fuel economy instrumentation for carbureted vehicles. Search around the instrumentation sub-forum.

If you park in the same place all the time (level/attitude is the issue), you could use a digital voltmeter to super-calibrate your fuel tank sending unit (reading resistance), adding a measured amount of fuel in steps from empty to full. Then the meter, odometer & simple math would theoretically give you somewhat accurate "trip-level" MPG.

3gd16 04-15-2014 09:37 PM

Looking forward to seeing what aero mods you make for the civic i have the same year as yours but not the stock drive train. I want to make mine more aerodynamic than stock but don't know where to start