Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2014, 01:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lexus Rx300 Project

I just started a new that requires me to drive for 5 hours every weekend on the highway where the traffic moves at 75mph to 80mph usually. So I've been trying to modify my RX300 to improve both aerodynamics and high speed stability.

So far I've removed the roof rack, all 4 parachute like mud flaps, blocked the upper grill with duck tape, opened up the upper back of the front wheel wells for fender vents in the future. These changes along with pulse and glide improved my mpg from 17.7 to 20.9 based on the in dash display. The roof rack removal and grill block also removed quite a bit of wind noise.

Right now I'm planning on building a front air dam, adding zig zag turbulators to the A pillars to further reduce wind noise and lowering the car for about 1.4 inches. I'm also considering putting air tabs on.

Tonight I started designing the air dam. this is the position and angle I have so far. Any comments?

Any comments

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-18-2014, 07:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
After the air dam, I would suggest looking at the rear of the vehicle, as there are probably more significant gains to be made back there. Look up chillsworld’s post about the “boat tailish aero back” designed for a Mercury Mountaineer SUV. (Off road friendly aeromodding... My lil beast) The top profile of the RX300 already looks to have some slope to it, you will want to get a good side view picture and overlay the AST-II Template to see the “ideal” shape for the back roofline.

Also, I have lowered and lifted various vehicles. Lowering can be hit or miss as to whether or not it actually changes your mileage. This also depends on whether or not you change the slope of the vehicle (front to back) because most kits change the front and back different amounts. Looking at the template overlay may give you some insight on the advantages or disadvantages to raising or lowering the front/back.

Reply  Post New Thread