EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   1993 Mercedes w124 diesel modifications (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/1993-mercedes-w124-diesel-modifications-38469.html)

SkauneJohan 07-03-2020 05:59 PM

1993 Mercedes w124 diesel modifications

Did my first engine modification yesterday, removal of throttle plate(this is a diesel engine)

People I talk to say it is purely for creating vacuum to activate EGR nothing else, since this car was imported it has EGR, many same engine and yearmodel cars were built without this.

This is how it looked like before
https://i.postimg.cc/kGCkM9Sk/20200702-113945.jpg

Nice, finally gone and yuk full of soot from the EGR
https://i.postimg.cc/9FWvvmC9/20200702-124253.jpg

End result
https://i.postimg.cc/P50VrTs2/20200702-124240.jpg

And what can I say after driving 160km(100miles)
WOW!!! :eek: never thought it would make this big difference, she has a lot less engine braking so I can coast a lot longer (automatic transmission) and partial throttle response is a lot better,
in fact partial throttle response is so much better that I can leave her in D instead of manually shift to 3rd gear when city driving at the speeds 30km/h and 40km/h.
Same thing in roundabouts no need to use kickdown(or manually downshift) to get her initally moving out of the roundabout, she scoots a lot quicker with less throttle input (or rather the need for full throttle in city driving is gone now) :thumbup: :)

Another positive is that engine stays cooler, before even during the winter short idling in traffic lights made temp go quite high and it was slow to go down to normal again, now it is slow to rise and fast to go back to normal :)

The bigger question is, how will this affect fuel consumption :confused: my guess is probably for the better :D

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-04-2020 12:37 AM

What about the effect of this mod to the brakes? Aren't them vacuum-assisted too? On a sidenote, in Brazil I'm aware some people adapted throttle plates to Mercedes-Benz OM-314 engines in order to improve engine-braking, even though I would rather resort to an exhaust-brake for that matter.

SkauneJohan 07-04-2020 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 627338)
What about the effect of this mod to the brakes? Aren't them vacuum-assisted too? On a sidenote, in Brazil I'm aware some people adapted throttle plates to Mercedes-Benz OM-314 engines in order to improve engine-braking, even though I would rather resort to an exhaust-brake for that matter.

No effect at all on brakes :thumbup:
like all diesel engines this also has a vacuum pump for the brakes and since it is older style mercedes, this vacuum is used for central locking mechanism and engine shutof also

Like I wrote above this engine was also made without EGR, only difference is intake, exhhaust, a few linkages and pipes between exhaust and intake

So this throttle plate only function is to allow intake get clogged with soot from EGR :rolleyes:

Later I will get the non EGR exhaust manifold and intake to increase efficiency even more and make room for water injection (this EGR intake is also very big and makes engine bay crowded:mad:)

jakobnev 07-04-2020 04:02 AM

Isn't it going to fail inspection if you disable EGR?

SkauneJohan 07-04-2020 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakobnev (Post 627352)
Isn't it going to fail inspection if you disable EGR?

Here no, but depending on where you live it might, the egr is still there and everything around it

the thing with EGR on diesel is that if you want it to work it needs cleaning from soot almost once a year, google if you wish to learn more :thumbup:

California98Civic 07-05-2020 01:22 PM

Does water injection work in a diesel?

SkauneJohan 07-05-2020 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 627405)
Does water injection work in a diesel?

Of course :thumbup: it is great on supercharged engines but even NA benifit from it, reduces soot and NOx, cleans combustion chamber

The downside is that water freezes during winter

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-05-2020 09:45 PM

Adding some alcohol prevents the water from freezing, plus it becomes easier to vaporize.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkauneJohan (Post 627346)
like all diesel engines this also has a vacuum pump for the brakes and since it is older style mercedes, this vacuum is used for central locking mechanism and engine shutof also

Since it had a throttle plate, it got me wondering if Mercedes-Benz would've eliminated the vacuum pump.

SkauneJohan 07-06-2020 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 627428)
Adding some alcohol prevents the water from freezing, plus it becomes easier to vaporize.

Since it had a throttle plate, it got me wondering if Mercedes-Benz would've eliminated the vacuum pump.

Yeah i know, methanol is the preferred alcohol, it even adds some energy (power) problem here is it is very very expensive, only cheapish alcohol is E85 and then you gotta remove the gasoline after blending it with water.... only other solution is washer fluid wich also is ethanol here and quite expensive :rolleyes:

My though was that they maybe also used the vacuum for the automatic gearbox but they did not, it seems to be only EGR wich is nice :)

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-06-2020 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkauneJohan (Post 627452)
Yeah i know, methanol is the preferred alcohol, it even adds some energy (power) problem here is it is very very expensive, only cheapish alcohol is E85 and then you gotta remove the gasoline after blending it with water.... only other solution is washer fluid wich also is ethanol here and quite expensive :rolleyes:

Is homebrewing vodka totally out of question? :D

Quote:

My though was that they maybe also used the vacuum for the automatic gearbox but they did not, it seems to be only EGR wich is nice :)
So, does its torque converter not feature a lock?