Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Pushrod - '02 Chevrolet Cavalier
My MPG machine is now a turbo sleeper :)

I didn't forget you guys, I was just busy with a massive project. My 2.2L Cavalier is no longer a pure MPG vehicle. I've been modding it for performance as I have another daily driver now. Fortunately several MPG mods I've made to it, like weight reduction and a wideband O2 sensor, have proven very useful in a performance context.

Except for a couple of hood pins, the appearance of the car is stock. I'm using a fifth 95lb/hr injector to provide additional fuel while keeping the stock injectors. I'm also using an air to water intercooler driven by a Bosch pump. That circuit is cooled off by a radiator from a small car mounted in front of the A/C condenser. Because of this, there's no room for the hood latch or cooling fan. I'm also using water injection for additional cooling. I think I should be able to run 14 PSI and put down around 230HP.

My original project of a MPG meter has been shelved as I've been working on an extra injector controller with wideband learning capability. The car is serving as a testbed for this device. Eventually I'll get back to the MPG meter to the point where it's available as an off-the-shelf type box like the SGII.

One thing that got me thinking was the air to water intercooler. It's just a very low restriction heat exchanger core where fluid travels through one end and the intake charge travels through the other. If you were looking to elevate intake temperature, you could run a coolant line, or an oil line with a restrictor, and the intake plumbing through the other. Engine bay air isn't that hot and it takes a while to warm up, and pulling air off the exhaust manifold means wild variations in intake temperature, so this might be a better solution that would give you repeatable results and better efficiency year-round.

Check these out on ebay, they might have a hypermiling application.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Cool another dual purpose car.

Everything sounds good, got any pics?

Old 08-29-2009, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jeep Ecomodder

Daddy's Jeep - '00 Jeep Cherokee SE
90 day: 19.66 mpg (US)

Mama's Kia - '06 Kia Sedona LX
I'd love to see your results when you are done! I've been looking for ways to turbo one of my vehicles for a while now, and it sounds like you've got a good package!

Reply  Post New Thread