EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   For Sale (https://ecomodder.com/forum/sale.html)
-   -   1997 Civic HX (Michigan) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/1997-civic-hx-michigan-29140.html)

davelobi 06-03-2014 07:20 AM

1997 Civic HX (Michigan)

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I'd offer it here where the lean-burn would be appreciated before hitting craigslist.
1997 Civic 5 speed coupe HX with 250k.
HX alloys, egr, 5 wire o2, D16Y5, unmolested.
I looked for a long time to find an affordable HX and finally did. This one came with work needed. Alternator, and front end sheet metal. Drivers front corner bumped but no big damage. Didn't even bend radiator core support or bumper structure. Passenger front fender had a small, previous, dent so I decided to replace it as well. I have hood and bumper cover from salvage yard and ordered brand new headlights and front fenders. Why would I give up this gas sipper? I'm always on the prowl for high fuel economy cars and have a bunch of kids. The biggest, good gas mileage vehicle I know of it the Vibe/Matrix with the 1.8L Toyota engine and 5-speed. I finally found one at an affordable price. Needed engine work and a new clutch but the price was right. My wife thinks I'm nuts. I was so happy to find an HX and told her about how great of gas mileage I'd be getting with it then bought the Vibe before I was even done fixing the Honda.
I'm scheduled for an 8 day fishing trip in Canada starting june 7th. I won't have time to get the hood/bumper, fenders painted before that. If someone wants to buy it complete but not painted to match $1400. I can have the paint work done for about $400 (more) if you want to wait for it. Both rear weel wells are starting to get the cancer but that will not be addressed at this time because I'll be bringing just my front end parts to the shop for paint.
Sorry for the sad picture, it is all I have in my phone at this time. Here she is coming home. I'll get some more this afternoon.

davelobi 06-03-2014 07:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of the cancer (and the cool HX rim) just so no one thinks this may be a 17 year old cream puff. The plastic rocker cover is off for removal of the front fender bottom bolts. I did replace the hood release cable to fix the old broken off pull tab special and the passenger door mirror that came with a couple of screws from the outside holding it on. I expect the new fenders to come today by FedEx but won't see the new headlights until Friday and I'm leaving for out of town on Saturday morning.

Baltothewolf 06-03-2014 01:08 PM

I have a couple questions:
Do you know if it will pass smog in Cali?
Will the cancer get any worse in Cali, or would it need to get fixed pronto.
Do you know the condition of the Tranny/clutch?

davelobi 06-03-2014 01:21 PM

I know they made a 49 states car and a 50 states (emissions) car but don't know how to tell them apart. Someone on here will know.
Engine runs like a Honda. Trans n clutch feel fine.

Baltothewolf 06-03-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davelobi (Post 427784)
I know they made a 49 states car and a 50 states (emissions) car but don't know how to tell them apart. Someone on here will know.
Engine runs like a Honda. Trans n clutch feel fine.

If you can find out about the emissions thing I am interested in it...

davelobi 06-03-2014 02:29 PM

Well, I checked the car over for the emissions sticker and did not find one under hood, inside doors, trunk, etc. A/C stickers, build date sticker, tires info, paint and interior colors but no smog sticker. The warranty book in the glovebox has a large section on California emissions but I assume it was a generic book that came with every car. Anyone know if vin number will tell if it was a 49 or 50 state car originally? The check engine light is not on and it appears to be completely stock under the hood so maybe it will pass. I understand you need to have a better answer than that tho. No smog testing here in Michigan to worry about.

Baltothewolf 06-03-2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davelobi (Post 427792)
Well, I checked the car over for the emissions sticker and did not find one under hood, inside doors, trunk, etc. A/C stickers, build date sticker, tires info, paint and interior colors but no smog sticker. The warranty book in the glovebox has a large section on California emissions but I assume it was a generic book that came with every car. Anyone know if vin number will tell if it was a 49 or 50 state car originally? The check engine light is not on and it appears to be completely stock under the hood so maybe it will pass. I understand you need to have a better answer than that tho. No smog testing here in Michigan to worry about.

Yea in cali I believe cars have another cat, and the testing is the most rigorous of the 50 states. A car that won't pass smog in cali is a giant paperweight

davelobi 06-05-2014 09:44 AM

123 page views an no offers on a good running lean-burn HX for $1400?
I figured this would be the place for a 45mpg car. Am I way off on price?
Leaving town before sun up the day after tomorrow for 8 days on a fishing trip.
Will send her to craigslist when I get back.

mikeyjd 06-05-2014 10:12 AM

Post more pics? How is the interior? How is the clutch? I might be interested.

davelobi 06-05-2014 01:10 PM

pics

6 Attachment(s)
I forgot to mention it has a brand new battery. I'm waiting on the other fender (tracking to arrive tomorrow afternoon from different warehouse) before assembly. For the pic I just set one of the headlights (nothing like brand new headlights!) in and set the fender on. Dash pic shows car running, e-brake and seat belt lights on. No check lights. Hard to get interior pics in bright sunlight. It is not going to win any beauty contests but sure will pass a lot of gas stations.