EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   1st timer....1999 Civic HX (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/1st-timer-1999-civic-hx-17434.html)

Drew 05-18-2011 02:16 PM

1st timer....1999 Civic HX

I just bought a used 99 Honda Civic HX. My gas bill has put a huge dent in my bank account. For the past 7 years I have been driving a Ford F150 (18 mpg at best). I finally woke up and realized I have dug a hole with my gas expenses. I've been looking for awhile and decided on older HX. Great on gas, low insurance and low personal property tax. A new car was out of the question this was just a one payment car.

The car is in great shape with 135,000 miles on it. Didn't know about the lean burn engine. So I just started my research on this. It's all new to me. How to find the sweet spot and when do you know your there are big questions for me. From what I have read the ScanGuage II is the easiest start. Any input would be great. I did a quick MPG the other day after I did 200 miles and I only got 33 MPG. This was city and highway with other people in the car. I filled up this Monday to see what I can get solo with my work commute (100 miles). I've only had the car for four days now and already this car is saving me money.

I like this site, from what I've read there is a lot of knowledge here.

blade 05-18-2011 11:04 PM

welcome to em

Drew 05-19-2011 10:48 AM

Thanks...

I've been reading different threads on the scanguage II. Do you have any feed back with this device. I am thinking of buying one to help me find out where the lean burn is on my civic hx. I cant tell just by sound or vibration. I need some kind of light or read out to teach me how to find it and stay there.

Nevyn 05-19-2011 12:14 PM

You can program an X-Gauge on the ScanGaugeII to show in/out of lean burn. Problem is, the math they use to calculate MPG isn't very accurate on lean-burn cars. Even so, you WILL be able to watch lean burn, throttle position, ignition timing, engine load, coolant temp...although the instant MPG may be off, it'll still give a number. Trying to get a wrong number as high as possible is still better than no feedback at all!

justjohn 05-19-2011 01:09 PM

I got an ultragauge for my HX and have been very happy with it. I still plan on installing an MPGuino at some point to get accurate instant MPG, but I can at least use it to see when I'm in lean burn and get good feedback when I'm not in lean burn or DFCO.

Make sure everything is tuned up and read up on hypermiling techniques. I got over 50mpg on my last tank, and that's without any mods. Judging by my ultragauge 40mpg without mods should not be too hard if you drive correctly.

Drew 05-19-2011 09:01 PM

I gassed up today after only driving with myself for three days. I put on 320 miles and after toping the tank back off I did the math. 44 mpg, that's AWSOME!!! I tried to keep it around 2500 rpm. That must be the lean burn in my 5th gear. I still want to do a guage though. Haven't heard of that one, does it plug into the obd2 test port?

justjohn 05-19-2011 09:16 PM

Congrats! Solid numbers. You should start a fuel log by clicking "garage" way up at the top and putting in your car and your last couple tanks.

Yep, it's OBDII plug and play just like the SGII. Also looks a little sexier, and is much cheaper. http://www.ultra-gauge.com/

Yes, that's probably lean burn. Once your engine is warmed up just cruise at 60 in 5th and avoid giving it too much throttle (let yourself slow down a bit going up hills). Should keep you in lean burn most of the time. If you hold the throttle steady and listen carefully you should be able to hear the engine die down a little when it goes into lean burn and surge a little when it comes out (usually between 54 and 56 mph for mine).

California98Civic 05-20-2011 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 239603)
I gassed up today after only driving with myself for three days. I put on 320 miles and after toping the tank back off I did the math. 44 mpg, that's AWSOME!!! I tried to keep it around 2500 rpm. That must be the lean burn in my 5th gear. I still want to do a gauge though. Haven't heard of that one, does it plug into the obd2 test port?

Welcome and congrats on the car and your now fatter wallet. Going from 18mpg to 44 is pretty sweet! I have a 98 Civic DX. If you are curious, take a look at my list of mods and maybe there'll be ideas for you.

As for the gauge. I don't think the ScanGauge works with our sixth generation civics. That's why I bought an UltraGauge. It plugs into the OBD2 port under the dash, left of the steering column. Simple.

Drew 05-23-2011 07:23 AM

Sorry for the delay in response but thanks for all your guys input. It sounds like the ultra-gauge is the best fit for my Civic HX. When you say the MPG are not true or accurate is it real far off? Like in tenths or like actual miles off? Just curious. I checked my tire pressure and put all the tires at 45 psi, they were at 35 psi. I'll see if this makes any difference as well. Also when running the ulta-guage what will I look at to know if I am in lean burn? Most likely it's the MPG, but is there anything else I should monitor?

PaleMelanesian 05-23-2011 10:14 AM

Why don't you think the Scangauge works well on our cars? I use one and it seems to work in my civic. ;) As long as it's not the lean-burn HX it works well.

Both the SG and UG use the OBD data which doesn't report lean burn. They use airflow and assume a standard air-fuel mix to calculate fuel usage. When the mix changes, the calculated fuel is off by however big the change is. You can program the Scangauge to show when you're in lean burn. The Ultragauge can't do that.

Your best bet for accurate mpg will be the mpguino. It reads the fuel injector signal directly.