EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   2 Cars = Better than one? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/2-cars-better-than-one-11405.html)

MadisonMPG 12-12-2009 12:00 AM

2 Cars = Better than one?

What do you think?

car A: 5 speed 3 cylinder Geo
car B: auto 3 cylinder Geo

One for highway *aeromods* , one for city *engine mods*? Maybe sell one when gas gets to 4.00 a gallon again?

Thoughts?

I have not bought the auto Geo yet, but I am seriously thinking about it.

dcb 12-12-2009 12:11 AM

for efficiency, auto sucks most in the city. on the hiway it can lock up the converter at least and somewhat close the gap with a stick. Plenty of folks manage to drive stick everywhere, dunno what the problem is, but it doesn't sound efficiency related.

MadisonMPG 12-12-2009 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcb (Post 146887)
for efficiency, auto sucks most in the city. on the hiway it can lock up the converter at least and somewhat close the gap with a stick. Plenty of folks manage to drive stick everywhere, dunno what the problem is, but it doesn't sound efficiency related.

I am starting to feel this way too, I have been doing more reading and I don't like the idea anymore.

Piwoslaw 12-12-2009 02:56 PM

For the money you'd spend on the auto Geo you could make some NICE mods to the one you already have, maybe even a boattail? :winkwink:

I don't understand how someone can not like, or not be able to use, a stickshift. I've only driven an auto once, and I had to tie my left foot to the seat so I could finish the drive safely. It felt terrible, as if I had much less control over the car. Maybe it takes getting used to? Of course, my opinion doesn't count since I got my license in Europe:p

MadisonMPG 12-12-2009 03:33 PM

hehe boat tails are just to ridiculous looking for me on my everyday car. *right now at least*

I can drive a manual, and I prefer them, but the underpowered Geo is hard to drive when the goon behind you is accelerating like a mad man.

I think I may call it quits on this car, thanks for the help.

Bicycle Bob 12-12-2009 03:49 PM

I used my 3-cyl automatic 4-door to shop for my cherry 3 cyl 5 sp. coupe. Now, I can fix it up and sell it at a profit. The torque converter on these has no lock-up for the highway. It is still faster than the moving van I arrived here in. I forget how intense traffic is elsewhere. Just being willing to use full throttle seems quite adequate even when I go to the city. I've been getting some "free" miles on the 4-door, and not getting a round tuit for the engine work on the coupe, and just got an offer of an XFI engine and tranny to drop in. Woohoo! They were built in Canada, but never sold here.

Ryland 12-12-2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 146998)
I don't understand how someone can not like, or not be able to use, a stickshift. I've only driven an auto once, and I had to tie my left foot to the seat so I could finish the drive safely. It felt terrible, as if I had much less control over the car. Maybe it takes getting used to? Of course, my opinion doesn't count since I got my license in Europe:p

Some people are disabled and have poor coordination, other then that I'm not sure why someone would drive an automatic.

MadisonMPG 12-12-2009 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 147023)
Some people are disabled and have poor coordination, other then that I'm not sure why someone would drive an automatic.

Because I can't talk on the phone and eat while I drive then. DUH!

haha

gone-ot 12-12-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 147023)

...or, they merely do not enjoy "rowing" and "pedalling" their way through congested bumper-to-bumper city traffic every day.

dcb 12-12-2009 09:10 PM

lol, then I hope they enjoy crappy city mileage :)