EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   $20 monitoring of air/fuel ratios from std wideband sensor (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/20-monitoring-air-fuel-ratios-std-wideband-sensor-5204.html)

Julian Edgar 09-22-2008 05:36 PM

$20 monitoring of air/fuel ratios from std wideband sensor

Browser Warning describes how a factory fitted wideband sensor works, and how a $20 simple electronic kit can be used to display the output on 10 LEDs.

On my Honda Insight I have chosen to fit only two air/fuel ratio monitoring LEDs to the dash - one that shows when the AFR is at 25:1 (lean cruise) and one that shows when the AFR is at 12.5:1 (full rich).

I have checked the action of the LEDs against a MoTeC PLM air/fuel ratio meter and the LEDs are always correct in their indication. In fact, they are faster to react than the tail-pipe mounted MoTeC sensor.

In short, monitoring the output of the factory fitted wideband sensor is very cheap, very simple to wire into place, and very consistent in its display. It allows people to see what is REALLY going on in terms of actual AFRs being used.

modmonster 09-22-2008 06:28 PM

what was the out come of all those lean mix, resistor in series with sensor mods?

-reading through the old posts it seems like "the boat is still out on that one"
the people over at mpg Research • Index page seem to be happy with them.

tasdrouille 09-22-2008 06:50 PM

Hey Julian,

Great article, as usual. I somehow had a feeling this was coming. Now you have no excuses not to write Running Lean for Economy, Part 2.

Martin

Vince-HX 09-22-2008 06:51 PM

sweet!

Ive been looking for a low cost solution to NTK sensor monitoring. The only other real option is the Motec and they go for $900+:eek:

When payday rolls around I'm def buying a diy kit

Julian Edgar 09-22-2008 07:04 PM

Vince, it is not for monitoring aftermarket sensors. It is for monitoring factory fitted sensors that already have their own control systems in place.

tasdrouille 09-22-2008 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian Edgar (Post 62669)
Vince, it is not for monitoring aftermarket sensors. It is for monitoring factory fitted sensors that already have their own control systems in place.

If you have a ScanGauge II with XGauge, which a lot of fuel economy minded folks have, and your car came with a factory wideband sensor, you can set up an XGauge to monitor the appropriate OBDII PID . It will give you the equivalence ratio, but you can display it as the AFR if you want. I've done it in my Elantra.

But if you don't have a SGII, that diy kit is the way to go.

dcb 09-22-2008 08:05 PM

I think SVOBoy was going to try to display his wideband reading on his mpguino. It shouldn't be too hard if anyone is feeling brave. (I know, I'm a broken record), I just don't have a wideband or I'd try it. Gotta locate that pump cell lead and bring it to the guino, say analog 1. Then display it on the screen, I'd be glad to help with that last part.

Vince-HX 09-22-2008 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian Edgar (Post 62669)
Vince, it is not for monitoring after market sensors. It is for monitoring factory fitted sensors that already have their own control systems in place.

Yeah, its perfect right for me because my hx is still all stock @ the moment. However when I decide to go turbo I think I'm gonna havto pony up for the Motec as its the only quality wideband that will read over 20-1 afr's accurately on the market.

A display on the MPGuino would be nice also, more motivation to finish mine, lol.

TomO 09-23-2008 01:14 PM

I just ordered one up and also orderd the project box....$33 USD shipped. Not too bad, might be able to make up the cost once I get it installed.

LeanBurninating 05-25-2009 07:05 PM

This is incredible, so glad I found this thread. RESURRECTION!!

Any updates or progress reports on this kit? And I am curious to see any pics if any of you followed through with the install!

From what I have read through so far, does this mean that I can simply get a voltmeter gauge and wire it up to monitor lean burn mode?