Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mater - '98 Dodge 3500 Dually

Wilber - '99 Toyota Corolla LX

Minyatta - '93 Mazda Miata MX-5
Cooper MPG Question

Hi all,

My wife is getting tired of driving my Toyota w/ 256K. It's really starting to feel & sound like a tired & worn out old car, so i don't blame her. I know when I first was on here I asked about what kind of MPG to expect from my Corolla I was surprised to find out expect 40-45 & it's been all that. Even once got 47.1. EPA rating was only at 33 highway. A Cooper is rated at 37 highway & an S is receiving 36.

So the lil Mrs is taking a fancy, & quite frankly so have I, to a 2 dr Cooper or Cooper S. It would be a manual. Anyone driving one w/ some real world figures? Don't really know either if it would have the longevity of a Honda or Toyota. Coopers seem to have problems w/ PS, clutch, Midland 5sp. & front struts from what I've researched.

Any info would be great thanks,
Dave

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Expensive to fix and not reliable. Could not tell you the average MPG's

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 03-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

^ Not sure how you magically have good reliability data without being able to have MPG data...

@Dave's Civic Duty: Check out this forum for Mini Cooper info: MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Forum List

I can't speak to long-term issues, but I can definitely say that the Mini Cooper S is one of the most enjoyable cars I've ever driven, and if I could've gotten used to the retro styling, I'd be driving one now.

Here's what people on Fuelly.com have been reporting in terms of fuel economy for the Cooper S:

Browse All Mini Cooper Ses | Fuelly
The Following User Says Thank You to jkp1187 For This Useful Post:
Dave's Civic Duty (05-09-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...the 2011 Cooper S uses SIDI (Spark Ignition Direct Injection) which yields about 10-15% better MPG and 10-15% lower polution, but it still requires high-test 91 octane fuel.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
The PRC.

The issue with the early MINI was the gearbox - the "Midland" one (aka R65 - from Rover where the MINI was designed before BMW took it away). If you have one of those then it will wear out and you will have to replace it. The later ones have a Getrag unit which is better, and there is a conversion kit from early to late but I would just avoid the early ones if possible.

Apart from that it should be OK apart from service items such as suspension (e.g. struts) and brakes. No rust issues yet reported here (UK) and we use salt on our roads in winter. I know a few people with 100-150K miles on their Coopers (Getrag) with no issues but that is high for the UK.

The Cooper is OK-ish for a European 1.6 hatchback but is nothing special in terms of MPG or power really. The early S with a supercharger is fast (ish) but it has a supercharger which means its not efficient. The MK2 has a Turbo which is better. The boot (trunk) is small as are the rear seats for kids - which is all they are any good for really.

It is much more fun to drive than the equivalent Honda or Toyota though - it makes fewer compromises for space so you sit lower and scoot round corners faster.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
The PRC.

PS - no lift-off oversteer like the Mini had
Old 03-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
How new of a Mini are you looking at? your corrola is a 1999 so I can only assume that your wife drives alot so if you plan to keep it for years buying a brand new one might be a good idea and would have fewer bugs.
A friend of mine was looking for a new car a year or so ago and a Mini was at the top of her list, after she drove a few she ended up going with a Toyota Yaris hatch back and she loves that car, the only issue is with the automatics but you already stated you want the 5 speed and the Yaris and Mini get the same mileage, they are also right next to each other on the list of top 10 environmentally friendly vehicles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 11:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
^ Not sure how you magically have good reliability data without being able to have MPG data...
Because I am a mechanic who works on anything domestic, imported, or with more than 4 wheels.

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Reply  Post New Thread