EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   2011 Ford Fiesta SFE (29 city / 40 hwy MPG US) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/2011-ford-fiesta-sfe-29-city-40-hwy-13408.html)

Nels 05-29-2010 09:11 AM

2011 Ford Fiesta SFE (29 city / 40 hwy MPG US)

I have been doing reasonably well at a bit over 40 mpg in my 96 Saturn SL, but my wife does not drive a stick shift, and will not learn. So when I found out Ford's new Fiesta was offering the 6-speed dual dry clutch "automated manual" transmission at a projected 40 mpg I became very interested. I will also be ordering the Super Fuel Economy package, with the air blocks and belly pans. Nice to see Detroit finally start to offer some of the things that modders have been doing themselves. The dealer here is finally taking orders for it, so we're selling her Impala now and will be ordering her new Fiesta this week. We'll make a hypermiler out of my wife yet. ;-)

tjts1 05-29-2010 01:38 PM

Congratulations on the new fiesta. I hope you take some pics when it arrives.

mjboks 06-15-2010 10:09 AM

Have you got your new fiesta yet? I'm curious on actual mpg results.

cfg83 06-15-2010 10:13 AM

Nels -

I second tjts1's motion, pictures please!

CarloSW2

Nels 06-15-2010 12:47 PM

I don't expect to see it until the end of July or so. Order time is 8-10 weeks. :turtle:

Daox 06-15-2010 01:13 PM

ooooh the anticipation! I'd love to see pics as well. :) The Fiesta looks like it'll be a pretty nice car.

Maybe you could bring it over to 'ol Germantown for a look see! :D

Nevyn 06-15-2010 02:17 PM

It seems to have a "Super Highway Mode" that a CleanMPG member I follow on Twitter found on a test drive of one (non-SFE) down in Texas. He was about to pull 60-70 MPG at 55 MPH with the PowerShift 6 Automanual like you've ordered.

Did you also order the "Euro Style" rear spoiler lip? From the pics when you are optioning out the car on the Ford site, it looks like it's just a "Kamm-i-er" spoiler than the stock one - I couldn't tell if there would be any aero benefit to it or not.

Nels 06-15-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevyn (Post 179131)
It seems to have a "Super Highway Mode" that a CleanMPG member I follow on Twitter found on a test drive of one (non-SFE) down in Texas. He was about to pull 60-70 MPG at 55 MPH with the PowerShift 6 Automanual like you've ordered.

Did you also order the "Euro Style" rear spoiler lip? From the pics when you are optioning out the car on the Ford site, it looks like it's just a "Kamm-i-er" spoiler than the stock one - I couldn't tell if there would be any aero benefit to it or not.

I had heard that there was some program enhancements in the computer, but found no details. I would be interested to hear more from this acquaintance. What is his Twitter handle?

As for the spoiler, there is a deck lid spoiler included as part of the SFE package, and that blocks out the addition any other spoiler options. Maybe that is the one that is included.

MetroMPG 07-01-2010 07:26 AM

So it's the sedan you ordered?

I haven't seen much about this model, other than it's rated 29/40 MPG (US), and the price: "$695 SFE option package". Source.

40 HWY is getting close to the old Metro's highway rating (revised EPA of 44)! Nice to see from a more or less conventional drivetrain. Go Ford!

Factory efficiency mods on the SFE consist of the gearbox, LRR tires and aero tweaks from what I've read. Possibly partial grille blocking, some smooth belly panels, and detailing around the wheels (source).

Nels 07-01-2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 181752)
So it's the sedan you ordered?

I haven't seen much about this model, other than it's rated 29/40 MPG (US), and the price: "$695 SFE option package". Source.

40 HWY is getting close to the old Metro's highway rating (revised EPA of 44)! Nice to see from a more or less conventional drivetrain. Go Ford!

Factory efficiency mods on the SFE consist of the gearbox, LRR tires and aero tweaks from what I've read. Possibly partial grille blocking, some smooth belly panels, and detailing around the wheels (source).

Yes, We ordered the sedan. My wife won't have a hatchback. She says they look like the have no butt. :D I've heard and read about the various efficiency tweaks on the SFE package, but so far I have not seen a picture of any of them. The picture of the SFE package details on the Ford build site is just a generic stock pic of a Fiesta. There will be some pics available to the rest of you when I get mine home. This is kind of an adventure for me -- I ordered a completely new model before it hit the showrooms, having never driven one, and ordered an SFE package that no one seems to have the full details on. The powershift transmission is what steered me toward this car. My wife does not drive a manual transmission. This new automatic gets better MPG than the manual. It looks like the best way to get my wife into the over 40 MPG club without spending the extra $$ for a hybrid.

The local dealer just got their first Fiesta hatchback yesterday. My sedan is due in two weeks.

robchalmers 07-01-2010 09:46 AM

sounds like the econetic we get over here - but it has a diesel lump i think it can drag out 85MPGuk on the highway!

love to see pics when it arrives!

Laurentiu 07-01-2010 10:09 AM

I don't know about 85MPG, maybe if a ecomodder drives it :D
The official figures are 80.7MPG(UK) ~67.2MPG(US)

LINK
LINK 2

Nevyn 07-01-2010 12:25 PM

The "Euro Spoiler" is only for the hatch. :) Twitter handle is @ATXDriveClean; he also posts on CleanMPG (I forget his screen name).

robchalmers 07-01-2010 05:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here you go

Fiesta ECOnetic

just click on the mpg/co2 link

Attachment 6273

the 80.7 is just the 'normal' diesel:cool:

Laurentiu 07-01-2010 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by robchalmers (Post 181849)
here you go

Fiesta ECOnetic

just click on the mpg/co2 link

Attachment 6273

the 80.7 is just the 'normal' diesel:cool:

Ya, you're right...it seems weird to me though that the 1.6 versions gets a better mileage than the 1.4 :confused:

L.E. I see now on the site, the 1.6 is especially down-powered for fuel economy, the "normal" diesel puts up 120BHP and the ECOnetic 90BHP...Gotta love the torque on this thing though, 205Nm(151lb.ft). Also the 0-100 in 11.8s is quite respectable.

I also looked up the changes from the regular Fiesta:
Attachment 6274

I would say that these changes are very light compared to what some folks here at ecomodder are doing with their cars and probably it's possible with further aeromodding /tweaking to achieve 70-80MPG (US)- less than 3l/100km with this car

robchalmers 07-01-2010 05:55 PM

cool huh! Autocar did an event and they got similar MPG out of a Focus econetic!

Laurentiu 07-01-2010 06:30 PM

One more thing that bothers me...Why the heck don't they send over the 1.2 engine in the US for this Fiesta and in general, why is it that the smallest friggin engine you can find on most US model cars is like 1.6 sometimes 2.0 liters...

:confused::confused::confused:

IT'S BECAUSE OF THE BACK SEAT DRIVER !!!!!!

V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
http://i45.tinypic.com/21ozywp.jpg

rmay635703 07-01-2010 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurentiu (Post 181860)
One more thing that bothers me...Why the heck don't they send over the 1.2 engine in the US for this Fiesta and in general, why is it that the smallest friggin engine you can find on most US model cars is like 1.6 sometimes 2.0 liters...
:confused::confused::confused:

IT'S BECAUSE OF THE BACK SEAT DRIVER !!!!!!

That reminds me of the "If you don't carpool your driving with Hitler slogan from WWII"

I guess its the same reason I can't order a new ford transit with the interior (that they throw out) intact and a MT instead of an auto. The euro transit is what 42mpg+ our is 24mpg?

Nels 10-01-2010 02:16 AM

Finally got it!

At long last, after spending 93 days in transit beyond the build date, we took delivery of the Fiesta this week:

Just off the transport:
http://members.lsol.net/gop4evr/unlinked/100_4310.jpg
http://members.lsol.net/gop4evr/unlinked/100_4311.jpg
Note the baby spoiler. I'm not sure if that is helping by breaking up the boundary layer, or just looking stylish at the expense of creating more drag.

Partial grill blocks:
http://members.lsol.net/gop4evr/unlinked/100_4312.jpg
In Wisconsin, the law requires we display a front plate, so I will be carrying an ugly slab of aluminum and plastic on an otherwise sleek front end. :(

Aero tweaks behind the wheels:
http://members.lsol.net/gop4evr/unlinked/100_4314.jpg
The bottom is nearly half panned too. :cool:

My wife gets her first look at her new ride:
http://members.lsol.net/gop4evr/unlinked/100_4316.jpg :thumbup:

Inside:
http://members.lsol.net/gop4evr/unlinked/100_4317.jpg

Driving it off the showroom floor:
http://members.lsol.net/gop4evr/unlinked/100_4323.jpg :eek:
http://members.lsol.net/gop4evr/unlinked/100_4324.jpg

And some pictures taken by the Yacht club:
http://members.lsol.net/gop4evr/unlinked/100_4330.jpg
http://members.lsol.net/gop4evr/unlinked/100_4335.jpg
http://members.lsol.net/gop4evr/unlinked/100_4338.jpg
http://members.lsol.net/gop4evr/unlinked/100_4340.jpg

I will post the mpg results under "Tuco" (named after the character in "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly") in my garage here on this site.

paintme205 10-01-2010 03:24 PM

Thanks for the pics. I'm excited to see the MPG results you get.

Daox 10-01-2010 03:53 PM

Very nice. I'm also anxious to see what you get.

MetroMPG 10-01-2010 03:56 PM

Thanks for the photos!

3 thoughts ...

http://members.lsol.net/gop4evr/unlinked/100_4314.jpg

1) That thing behind the rear wheel sure is funky!

2) Regarding your front plate, if you MUST have it, you could relocate it further down for partial grille blocking.

3) Your deck lid spoiler is almost certainly there for reduced drag. You'll find very similar low profile spoilers on many eco-model sedans. (Guess: it promotes cleaner flow separation for reduced rear lift/turbulence).

gone-ot 10-01-2010 05:05 PM

...two questions:

1) what kind of tires; LRR or what?

2) what color of blue is that (purdy!)?

dennyt 10-01-2010 11:24 PM

Ken Block is driving a Fiesta now. I think he will personally offset the MPG gains of all of the SFE models sold worldwide :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TshFWSsrn8

dennyt 10-01-2010 11:25 PM

nothing to see here... needed 5 posts to post the link above

tjts1 10-03-2010 12:49 AM

Its nice to see ford looking after the little aero tweaks. Any pics of the underside and engine bay would be appreciated. And congratulations on the new ride.:thumbup:

Nels 10-04-2010 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 196909)
1) That thing behind the rear wheel sure is funky!

I'll get some better pics of that when I think of it. It is not really a fairing, but it seems to have some purpose in deflecting the air from the rear of the rotating wheel. Maybe it's just eye candy too. ;)

Quote:

2) Regarding your front plate, if you MUST have it, you could relocate it further down for partial grille blocking.

I was looking at the license plate backing plate, and it seems it would be easy enough to drill a few holes in the mount to allow it to be mounted lower, using the original screw holes behind it. It would need some spacers, but they are easily made. I work in a machine shop. I can spin up some thick delrin washers to go behind it.

Quote:

3) Your deck lid spoiler is almost certainly there for reduced drag. You'll find very similar low profile spoilers on many eco-model sedans. (Guess: it promotes cleaner flow separation for reduced rear lift/turbulence).

It seems that way. I guess manufacturers are still unwilling to sacrifice trunk volume by rounding the tops of the deck lids more aggressively. They still want to leave that sharp corner back there to generate turbulence.

Nels 10-04-2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennyt (Post 196951)
Ken Block is driving a Fiesta now. I think he will personally offset the MPG gains of all of the SFE models sold worldwide :)

What's under that carbon fiber body is nothing even remotely related to a Fiesta. Very cool driving tricks though.

Nels 10-04-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 196921)
...two questions:

1) what kind of tires; LRR or what?

Hankook Optimo (Chinese) tires. They have a max. inflation level of 44psi. I have not brought them up to that pressure yet though. They are currently at 35 psi. It's my wife's car, and she's not as gung-ho about saving every last drop of fuel. I'll let her enjoy the nice ride for a while before I gradually bring the pressure up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 196921)
2) what color of blue is that (purdy!)?

That is called "Blue Flame Metallic." It is a very pleasing color in the sunlight. A nice bold blue with a hint of sparkle.

Nels 10-04-2010 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 196907)
Very nice. I'm also anxious to see what you get.

Results of the first fillup are posted. I expect these numbers will improve as the engine and drive train break in. This is my wife driving. She is a pedal-masher at heart, but even she cannot help but do well with this drive train combo. The dual dry clutch (no torque converter) setup disengages while coasting and at traffic stops, taking the load off the engine while idling. The 6 gear ratios keep the engine working in a good power band. The engine also has variable valve timing, which also increases efficiency. Even my wife will save fuel with this setup.

tjts1 10-06-2010 01:17 PM

Interesting article about the Fiesta:
Ford's Fiesta Subcompact Fetching More Than Focus Car - Bloomberg

Average transaction is almost $18k. More than Focus, Civic or Corolla. Are Americans waking up to optioned up sub compacts?

gone-ot 10-06-2010 02:25 PM

...notice that only 7% buy the 'stripped-down' model.

...wonder if that's the HFE model?

Arragonis 10-06-2010 04:51 PM

Comparison MPG for the European Diesel Fester. Urban=City, Extra Urban=Highway, roughly at least.

Fiesta 1.4 TDCI MPG
MPG Urban 59 mpg
MPG Extra Urban 79 mpg
MPG Combined 69 mpg
Top Speed 101 mph
0-62 mph (100 kph) 14.9 s

Fiesta 1.6 TDCI
MPG Urban 54 mpg
MPG Extra Urban 79 mpg
MPG Combined 67 mpg
Top Speed 109 mph
0-62 mph (100 kph) 11.9 s

Tons of others including Petrol ones here.

These are all manuals obviously, and these are the hatch.

Personally I'm still leaning towards the Ka instead, especially the TDCI which uses the FIAT Multijet engine. The test MPG is worse than the 1.6 but it is a lot cheaper and lighter.
MPG Urban 54 mpg
MPG Extra Urban 76 mpg
MPG Combined 67 mpg
Top Speed 100 mph
0-62 mph 13.1 s

I reckon I could get an 80 mpg average in a KA. :D

bhazard 10-06-2010 05:10 PM

I want the Ka here too. If it sold here it would pretty much be the true successor to the Festiva (your Kia Pride or Mazda 121).

I guess were getting the Fiat 500 though, so I guess we pretty much are getting the Ka in a different package. No 80 mpg diesels though :/

euromodder 10-06-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 197791)
Comparison MPG for the European Diesel Fester. Urban=City, Extra Urban=Highway, roughly at least.

Or the Econetic (Diesel) version :

MPG Urban 61 mpg (Imp)
MPG Extra Urban 88 mpg (Imp)
MPG Combined 76 mpg (Imp) - 63.3 mpg (US)

CO2 Emissions 98 g/km

Nels 12-03-2010 02:23 PM

Just bumping this thread to update my results. After 5 fill-ups the car is averaging a bit over 36 mpg all around, with a high of 38.1 mpg. No real long trips though, and the weather is getting colder. It's no slouch, but I'm not overly impressed either. My 96 Saturn is making better than that with 120K on the clock. Also, my wife is driving this car, and she is not as careful with the throttle as I am. The jury is still out on this, but I remain optimistic.

Nevyn 12-03-2010 02:52 PM

Do you have a scangauge? I know that there's a sort of "super highway mode" that hides. If you can watch ignition timing and engine load, you can find it, and then highway MPG skyrockets to mid 50 MPG.

alohaspirit 12-04-2010 10:05 AM

Thanks for posting your experiences with this. It looks like a great car.

You should do a license plate flip.

Does it come with mpg instrumentation?

Can you take a pic of the underbody panels?

Roughly, how much was it out the door?

Nels 12-05-2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevyn (Post 207452)
Do you have a scangauge? I know that there's a sort of "super highway mode" that hides. If you can watch ignition timing and engine load, you can find it, and then highway MPG skyrockets to mid 50 MPG.

No Scangauge. I'd like to read what you know about this Super Highway mode. I'm not aware of it.

Nels 12-05-2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alohaspirit (Post 207775)
Thanks for posting your experiences with this. It looks like a great car.

You should do a license plate flip.

I looked into lowering the plate into the grill area for a partial block. The modification required is more than my wife is comfortable with. I need to let her enjoy that 'new car' feeling for awhile yet.

Quote:

Does it come with mpg instrumentation?
It tracks avg mpg and avg mph, and has two resettable trip odometers. All of these can be reset at will for trips, or tank to tank.

Quote:

Can you take a pic of the underbody panels?[
I've been meaning to do this. I will try to pry the keys out of my wife's hand one weekend soon.

Quote:

Roughly, how much was it out the door?
under $18K as it sits. Well equipped models can hit $21K. I have no need for leather, pushbutton start, and the little extra chrome that $$ buys.