EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   2012 Mustang Roush Six Success (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/2012-mustang-roush-six-success-23604.html)

UltArc 10-07-2012 12:29 PM

2012 Mustang Roush Six Success

I was always updating my new member page, but I will switch to here. I am at work on a break, but have to say ob my 10 mile commute, usual averaging 35 mpg, my all time high was 43.x, today I hit 48.0 mpg.

I am ecstatic about the result, and am filling up tonight. Later on I will expand on the new changes, but I want to do some research before I put together information on results.

mcrews 10-07-2012 05:46 PM

Must know more!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

UltArc 10-08-2012 09:23 AM

I am going out to test today where I got my baseline mpg/speed charts before. I now have a rear valance, which I doubt does anything, and cold air induction. I do not expect cold air to benefit me, but the cone intake compared to the little mail flap opening should make a difference, whether good or bad.

As of right now I have no conclusive evidence, other than my crazy to work mileage, and my return home mileage being 30+ when O could barely hot 30 before.

I have running around tondo, and then I can get testing done today.

ecomodded 10-08-2012 12:02 PM

WOW good driving ! that is some fantastic mileage you achieved, 35 mpg is a ground breaking (for your car) mpg average.
Good to see technology has advanced enough to average that kind of mileage, with your driving techniques.

What are the hp/torque numbers of the car ?

PrePin 10-08-2012 12:55 PM

One Roush associate who is more on the business end says the axle backs and cold air induction equal 50 horsepower, but I personally have a hard time believing that, especially without a tune. WITH a tune, one would normally expect 15-25 hp from axle backs and CAI. Results vary depending on tune, and equipment.

Without a tune, I would anticipate roughly ten hp out of the two.

I am working on a new lower grill block for the coming months, I should be finished tonight with it.

Spd-Old--New
44-56.5--49.2
54-49.65-46.2
64-41.45-41.45
74-38.6--34.55

New Results North/South-score
44-52/46.4-49.2
54-47.6/44.8-46.2
64-45.4/37.5-41.45
74-37.1/32-34.55
*Start time 10:46, end time roughly 11:05. Start temperature 46 degrees F, end 48 degrees.

Old Results South/North-score
44-45.8/67.2-56.5
54-42.5/56.8-49.65
64-36.3/46.6-41.45+ A/C was on
74-34/43.2-38.6
*Start time 12:10, end time 12:46. Temperature was 87-90 degrees F, which was why we had the A/C on, and we forgot about it during the 64 mph run.

I am glad I made these numbers before, so I had a reference, because clearly from testing there is not a positive change. Please note that all of these were done one time, not multiple runs, and during the day (both on Mondays), so traffic was around, but not strong. I must also note, that while driving on the highway at 44 mph, in a 65 mph zone with cars doing 70+, so air resistance may vary.

I am thinking that my results presented by scanguage and car may not be accurate, and that the SGii may need a few fill ups before it returns to past accuracy. I have noticed differences in SC results, and car mpg estimates to actual results. I have started logging those in with my fill up data.

But either way, as long as I keep 30+ mpg per tank, I will be happy, especially rated for 29 mpg highway. I know mpg will drop with the coming winter, and putting on snow tires in the coming weeks. The belly pan will begin preparation soon, and I am most likely going to lower it when I switch to the 2014 Mustang GT OEM rims and tires come March/April of 2013.

Also, this is UltArc on my wife (PrePin)s computer.

UltArc 05-04-2013 09:12 PM

I clocked in my most recent tank.

37+ mpg. Mind. Blown.

Premium fuel, EOC, warm weather.

Beautiful.

Updating my fuel log now.

HydroJim 05-04-2013 11:53 PM

That's crazy. what kind of power is that thing putting out?

Are you still having fun driving it?

UltArc 05-05-2013 06:05 PM

Usually the standards put about 270 ish to the wheels, I have CAI and axle backs, without a tune, that is maybe five hp to the wheels. I would tune - it helps power and efficiency, but I got the 6 year warranty- so if anything happens, it's covered- and a tune may ruin that.

I have a blast. The biggest thing is my EOC, I believe. Last year I had similar weather, and not as good of fuel economy- but the tires were less worn in, I dealt with different traffic flow, and was not as experienced.

I need to find a lift, and redo my underbody. It was fantastic while it lasted...but the energy it took to get it on blocks is too much for me alone, again. My current project is a lower grille block.

UltArc 05-10-2013 02:03 AM

Tonight I finished the lower grille block.

It takes approximately 25 minutes WITHOUT a lower grille block and 85+ degrees F external temperature, to reach 200 degrees F water temp- and it won't go past 203.

After completion, I took it for a test drive.

I did not do ABA testing. I found at 61 degrees F, it took approximately 16 minutes to reach 200, and by 25 minutes was at 214. I also found the fuel economy was better than ever before with the engine on. I am not sure how much aero has helped, although I noticed my normal coast points forced me to use te brakes (usually I end up at the speed I need for lower speed zones- today I had to brake and slow down to not be speeding). I am more so thinking the increase in FE is because of a warmer engine bay.

It SEEMED that I was getting better fuel economy, but to be clear, there is no real set data. The setup I put on isn't friendly to take on and off, so I doubt it will happen. My only concern is what the top temp I should let the car get to before removing portions of the grille block. Hopefully, I can just remove the little side pieces to maintain a temperature-if I am forced to. I would rather not have to adapt it at all.

justme1969 05-10-2013 09:16 AM

Have you thought of calling Roush? they optimize most of engine systems in stage 3 & 4 cars. They would tell you exactly how much block and such to install. Thier not going to give ya bogus info.

UltArc 05-10-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justme1969 (Post 370586)
Have you thought of calling Roush? they optimize most of engine systems in stage 3 & 4 cars. They would tell you exactly how much block and such to install. Thier not going to give ya bogus info.

The three times I have been there and had installs, no one has mentioned anything. They do not really BLOCK grilles, as stage three is a super charged (also, only available on the v8). Their grille is actually made to help get air into the engine bay...both are wider and let more air flow in- one of the reasons I wanted the GT upper instead of the Roush. Also, they didn't start doing the RS (Roush Six) until after mine was done- in which they no longer fabricate new body panels, they adapt the panels on the vehicle. I have the last Roush fabricated bumper (not the very last one made, but the last mass Roush vehicle produced one).

I am not too familiar with RS4s, I have never heard of that before. Is that something new in the pipeline? Last time I was there, when I went into the bay with the guys, they had to cover something up and asked me not to take photos of it (I take 300-500 photos each visit lol). Could this have been the RS4?

UltArc 05-13-2013 06:18 PM

This last tank was 37.3+ mpg. So, my fear of the past tank being a fluke is unfounded.

I am thinking about so many moments that fuel was wasted. I am now also obsessed getting the most out of my tanks. I never thought I could get this great of fuel economy on the Mustang. I think 600 mpt IS within reach, and my next two mods- rebuilding the underbody- and a lightweight aluminum driveshaft- should help me quite a bit. I think for the exterior of my vehicle, there is nothing more I can do.

I WOULD like to put hood vents in, like the 2013/2014 GTs- which would let engine air out- for the little getting in there.

I would also like side scoops just after the engine bay to pull air from the wheel wells, and/or engine bay.

But both are too expensive. The underbody is cheap, just hard work and logistics. The aluminum drive shaft is just having to spend 600 on it and install.

UltArc 05-21-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 370597)
The three times I have been there and had installs, no one has mentioned anything. They do not really BLOCK grilles, as stage three is a super charged (also, only available on the v8). Their grille is actually made to help get air into the engine bay...both are wider and let more air flow in- one of the reasons I wanted the GT upper instead of the Roush. Also, they didn't start doing the RS (Roush Six) until after mine was done- in which they no longer fabricate new body panels, they adapt the panels on the vehicle. I have the last Roush fabricated bumper (not the very last one made, but the last mass Roush vehicle produced one).

I am not too familiar with RS4s, I have never heard of that before. Is that something new in the pipeline? Last time I was there, when I went into the bay with the guys, they had to cover something up and asked me not to take photos of it (I take 300-500 photos each visit lol). Could this have been the RS4?

Quote:

Originally Posted by justme1969 (Post 370586)

justme?

I made this past tank to 39.41 mpg. I was SO CLOSE TO 40! My main goal, not at this point, but next up, was 600 mpt. I noticed while driving back from a conference that I had 580+ mpt, and even if it meant walking, I was getting 600+.

My ultimate goal is to beat Fords record, 44 mpg on a closed circuit @ 44 mph, with the LRR tires and the auto tranny-while I will be on public roads, with GT rims/performance tires, and standard drive, just driving it.

This Friday my underbody is being installed- and I think my 40 mpg tank is coming soon!

UltArc 06-02-2013 12:03 AM

38 mpg tank! Thats the fourth in a row exceeding 37 mpg. Tomorrow I am dropping off my coroplast panels, and Monday evening I am beginning the install of my underbody.

UltArc 06-28-2013 11:25 PM

41.84 miles per gallon. I was going for a 1k km tank, and in hitting that goal, I beat my goal of 40 mpg.

I am astonished I was able to achieve it. Careful driving, of course, but I definitely was not flawless.

nemo 06-29-2013 08:07 AM

Incredible :thumbup:

YukonCornelius 07-05-2013 02:12 AM

Incredible mileage. One thing though, to my knowledge Roush didn't introduce the RS until 2013. Roush adds V6-powered 2013 RS Mustang to lineup - Autoblog

elhigh 07-05-2013 11:28 AM

Holy. Cow.

Did it require adding earplugs so you could keep out of the loud pedal?

UltArc 07-05-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lbar (Post 379122)
Incredible mileage. One thing though, to my knowledge Roush didn't introduce the RS until 2013. Roush adds V6-powered 2013 RS Mustang to lineup - Autoblog

Very true, sir! It is not titled as a Roush since I bought it first with A Plan through a dealer our family works with and at the time, they didn't have a production RS. The current RS has significantly less work done to it than mine, as they no longer do body modifications. For the 2012 and earlier, I believe as early as 2010, they made a separate front fascia which allegedly is very low in Cd. Combined with their air splitter, and lower partial grille block (it's more of a styling thing, but to me it is a partial lower grille block), Roush CAI, side splitters, and Roush exhaust, and Mustang GT rims/tires.

The 2013+ RS comes with Mustang GT rims, Roush branded pedal covers, Roush branded center console button, Roush branded floor mats, Roush branded plaque, Roush branded windshield banner, Roush branded gas cap, Roush branded grille, front splitter, lowering springs and more badges.

My work on my vehicle also did not cost +4k to start out with, or by the end.

It's essentially everything functional Roush made for the Mustang on my six, while the 2013+ is everything NON functional put onto a six, for much more. They gave me some badge stickers things, but they are a bit pointless, if you ask me. However now that I think about it, they never sent me the plackard or work order they said they would. Other than my amex bill and some work tags they put in, I don't have any record of it!

And ear plugs would help. It's extremely difficult to not abuse it, but I still have some loud fun, I really get my kick from carving corners and just the whole challenge of it.

UltArc 07-05-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lbar (Post 379122)

Are you not driving the CTS V anymore? Or just not updating the fuel log? I especially like to follow other performance oriented cars regarding fuel economy when driven efficiently.

In regards to this tank, some loud pedal has dropped my fuel economy quite a bit. And, traveling maybe 1 mile through the very rear of Cedar Point last night took almost two hours. EOC/ engine cutoff helped me maintain 8.9 mpg for the whole way through it. I tested just idling instead of pulse and gliding, and my SCii MPG AVG readout dropped from 9.0 to low 8s, so I resumed P&G. I can only imagine what all the dodge caravans and big SUVs were getting-I know the caravans have smaller engines, but there were so many, and the big SUVs have bigger engines, usually less efficient in general, and no signs of a grille block. My tank average dropped from 35.7 to 34.7, by car readout.

UltArc 07-23-2013 05:39 PM

Not last Wednesday, but the one before, my rear belly pan was destroyed but for two attachment points. Also, my air dam was destroyed. For most of this tank, my center belly pan was dragging as I traveled.

SOMEHOW, I managed a tiny hair above 39 mpg. Tires are fully inflated, oil change on friday followed by install of my rear belly pan V3.0, and I am hoping to crack the 42-43 mpg range. I am being very good to her, and I've kept my MPG on the car above 38- when it's at 35 mpg, I get 39-so who knows where I'll be if I keep it up there.

UltArc 08-22-2013 06:54 PM

New record of 46 mpg (over 400 miles, not just a few feet or anything...lol) with the whole trip (just under 1200 miles not including the extra miles driven before the trip) getting over 43- setting me currently at 18th by % over EPA, and 130th overall mpg.

radioranger 08-22-2013 10:33 PM

did you ever look up the mustang run at bristol race track with your car/ google up bristol mustang mpg run ,over 40 easy

UltArc 08-23-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radioranger (Post 386707)
did you ever look up the mustang run at bristol race track with your car/ google up bristol mustang mpg run ,over 40 easy

I'll post it for you, it's pretty common, but in case others aren't familiar.

Mustang V-6 Averages 48.5 mpg; Runs 1,457 Laps at Bristol on a Single... -- BRISTOL, Tenn., June 24 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --

Quote:

The 2011 Ford Mustang V-6 sets a new record by averaging 48.5 mpg on a track while completing 1,457 laps with an average speed of 43.9 mph
Did you look at my average speed? Or review any of my logs? Maybe I should note that I don't have an automatic, nor was I driving on a flat, closed course, without other drivers or disturbance- like rain storms, accidents, construction, deer, so on.

As impressed as I am by professional drivers on a closed course doing 44 mph to get 48 mpg, I think it's fair to say 46 mpg averaging 63 mph is pretty impressive, as well.

They did this a while after they set their own record at 44 mpg, at 44 mph, on a closed track somewhere else, too. Honestly, not very impressive in my opinion. I like to keep to real world applications, like what they did with the Fusion Hybrid.

Ford Fusion Hybrid Gets 81.5 MPG in Hypermiling Challenge : TreeHugger

Quote:

1,445.7 Miles on One Tank of GasAs a way to demonstrate the fuel efficiency of its 2010 Fusion hybrid, Ford created the 1,000 Mile Challenge. The goal was simple: To drive 1,000 miles or more on a single tank of fuel (17.5 gallons) in an unmodified Fusion hybrid. The route used sounds like it was pretty varied, with one part of it in Washington DC that had about 30 light signals (so it wasn't just highway driving).
Thanks for the news, though.

justme1969 08-23-2013 01:51 PM

I tend to believe that your figures are correct.

Many would question this but that engine is nearing a modern marvel.
this isnt new technology here it started way back in 1982 when ford realized that thier engines and drivelines were still just 1940s and 50s designs rebaked.
In 1984 they put thier chasis Ideas to work in first SVO mustangs. good not great still just an old cast Iron head Pinto engine.
The aluminum headed 2.0 kent was first true eco ford engine and ruled the european track circuits. much formula one tech owes its lineage to that engine.

Now if your really good date all that info and figure out why its in that order.

radioranger 08-23-2013 07:15 PM

for a reference my sisters 88 4 cyl 5 sp mustang averaged close to 38 mpg on a trip to fla from Conn back in the day cruising around 65 , I think they could be a bit of a sleeper eco mod car with a few up to date tricks

UltArc 08-24-2013 12:23 AM

It's sad to say, but I'll admit I don't know much about the technology in the engine. Other than techniques here, and aerodynamics, the true grit of how the engine is efficient, and what makes one engine better or worse isn't something I don't know on my own, it has to be explained to me or researched on an engine by engine basis.

My basic understanding of aerodynamics is helping me mold it into something different, and my performance has inspired me to start thinking about to the ground side skirts for the front, center, and rear, rear wheel skirts, filling in the gaps between wheels and arches, and smooth wheel covers- but it all has to look good to decent, while not disabling the car in winter.

Just driving in general makes me think of simple things Ford could implement to drastically boost fuel economy in the Mustang (and the rest of their line), but between costing money and Uh'MeraStang (Mustang owners who think it sacrilege to have decent fuel economy in a performance oriented car) hostility toward fuel economy above the teens, it will surely be a while before anything is actually done.

UltArc 12-16-2013 10:31 PM

Been a few months, but wanted to post my underbody build to help encourage anyone on the fence about it- DO IT! :)

Backing up to Ramps
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-i...o/DSC_1918.JPG

Prepping the board to be attached
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-7...o/DSC_1923.JPG

Close up of attachment design
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6...o/DSC_1924.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-S...o/DSC_1926.JPG

Look at how dirty this underbody is! C'mon Ford
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1...o/DSC_1928.JPG

Attaching
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-c...o/DSC_1929.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-L...o/DSC_1931.JPG

Secured, but not tightened (to maintain work space)
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-n...o/DSC_1933.JPG

Laying the line, not tightening yet
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-f...o/DSC_1936.JPG

What it should look like attached (view from ground)
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-e...o/DSC_1935.JPG

Rear sway bar attachment point
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-x...o/DSC_1938.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-F...o/DSC_1939.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-a...o/DSC_1940.JPG

Working rear to front
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/te...w1728-h1152-no
Mostly done
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/UP...w1728-h1152-no
Upper grille block after almost a year
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/0g...w1728-h1152-no

UltArc 12-17-2013 11:58 PM

I know...lol, I'm tired of people following me and demanding the fish :/ (kidding)

UltArc 01-10-2014 11:36 PM

UPDATE

Mustang:
I recently purchased a single piece, all aluminum drive shaft for the Mustang. This is the driveshaft: Mustang Mustang Aluminum One Piece Driveshaft (11-14 V6) - Free Shipping

It allegedly is only 10 pounds lighter, but I really don't know why I bought it. I have wanted it, but most peoples reasons are over the governed 113 mph. I first thought it would yield better fuel economy, but there is a lot of conflicting evidence saying heavier (between the two) is better, as with fly wheels.

I did purchase it because I was offered it for $340 shipped. Also, many people note better fuel economy. I find the notes more interesting about the less energy it takes to climb hills, and retain higher gears when driving. Will it yield better results? Maybe, maybe not. If it does NOTHING, I will probably take it off and resell it.

Today, I swapped the oil, and started on 0% Ethanol. 4.399 a gallon, but the Mustang is more of a toy now, and her mileage is limited. The Insight is powering through the brunt of my labor, so the Mustang should be treated to the best.

This coming weekend, I am venturing to North Carolina. I was challenged to a 1k bet, that I could not get 44 mpg on a highway trip. I pulled 46.3+ on the way back, and am doing a little test now. The weather is much worse, and we will do it in March, but I am just testing the waters. I am hoping to have my DS installed this week if I get it in time, at worst, I would like to have it installed while down there, and have it for the way back.

Short of rear wheel skirts, I do not know where else I can go with the vehicle regarding aeromods.

Insight:
The Insight is waiting for it's first oil change with me. I am also thinking I should have the transmission fluid swapped on it. The rear hatch still won't open, and my Honda dealership needs to get it opened- this is ridiculous.

This past week, we have had wind chills below -40, and temps were holding serious negatives (-10 and lower). The hybrid battery worked hard to get it started in the morning, and EPS seemed to be solar powered- since when the sun went down, it turned off.

I fixed my head light.
Before:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4..._112130813.jpg

After:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-o..._115050684.jpg

The snow was deep.
Bottoming out the Insight, deep:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-p..._164031260.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-I...541450_HDR.jpg

And my favorite, was some snaero testing (snow aero). (Mid December, when we had the heavy snow storm, not the deathly cold we had the past week)

Before the voyage:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-8..._121654706.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-B..._121702894.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-d..._121710936.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8..._121723402.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-g..._121744042.jpg

After, 5.8 miles, 10 minutes, hitting and holding 60 mph:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-T..._123257284.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-z..._123307583.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-u..._123323777.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-N..._123359964.jpg

Deadlifts, then came out to this:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-a..._133528823.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-H..._133557483.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-h..._133622705.jpg

And a shorter trip, but all at 60 mph resulted in:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_..._134721317.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-A..._134738446.jpg

Not perfect, but it was cold out. Several images excluded because of how clear my tacky advertising is, and this isn't where I go to advertise. Although since I thought I was taking the Insight to NC this coming weekend, I did repaint the driver side, and man, does it look good.

Any and all reviews, comments, or criticisms are appreciated!

UltArc 03-16-2014 11:02 AM

I'm disappointed no one had any comments on the snow testing from January! I thought it was sweet.

But for the Mustang, the single piece aluminum drive shaft is in, and the front passenger seat is removed. So far, I have noticed an increase in fuel economy- but that is not from the changes, it is from the warm air we are having (should be over by n- yepp, snow on the ground...).

I thought "well, maybe engine load will be less with it" and drove through a few spots that I always drive the same. Well, engine load is the same if not worse. To be clear, no conclusive, solid, data created results have been made.

Thinking about how I want to do my Bonneville spoiler still, and going out to look at it a bit more soon. Attached are some photos of the current setup.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_...o/DSC_1501.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-L...o/DSC_1504.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-i...o/DSC_1508.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-o...143561_HDR.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-n..._171233316.jpg

nemo 03-16-2014 11:40 AM

Nikon! Welcome to the dark side.

UltArc 03-16-2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemo (Post 415512)
Nikon! Welcome to the dark side.

I've been with the dark side since 2008...a year ago upgraded from the D3000 to the D5200. Although I recently picked up an EOS D40- Nikon will stay my preferred.

Edit: I hate to say dark side, because I don't really see any other side lol, but I don't want to start a camera war on one of my build threads.

mcrews 03-16-2014 05:48 PM

your snow pictures are VERY depressing......said the man sitting in San Antonio Texas!

But I am a big mustang fan!!!!

UltArc 03-16-2014 06:02 PM

I thought the influence of air on the snow was interesting- growing up here, it is just natural to have it. I was about ~10 when I found out it was just Cleveland in the snow belt getting hit with so much snow- I thought everywhere got ridiculous snow lol

mcrews 03-16-2014 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 415574)
I thought the influence of air on the snow was interesting- growing up here, it is just natural to have it. I was about ~10 when I found out it was just Cleveland in the snow belt getting hit with so much snow- I thought everywhere got ridiculous snow lol

That's funny!:thumbup:
And growing up in Dallas, I NEVER understood all the sweaters in the fall/winter sears catalogue!!!!
especially when it arrived in AUGUST!!!!

UltArc 04-13-2014 10:19 PM

The Green Grand Prix

The Green Grand Prix!

My copilot and I have spent the last few weeks just sending pointless messages to one another about excitement/anxiety for this event.

Since I started with the Mustang in May of 2012, getting it as a fuel efficient vehicle, I have been told it was a poor decision. From my family saying "just because it can get 29 on the highway, doesn't mean you're going to get that good of fuel economy" and my rebuttal quenched with "you can't do that to a brand new car, let alone a Mustang!" I have had a lot to prove.

My goal has always been 30 mpg, and in a way, still is. I wanted to just get 30 mpg per tank. Then, 30 mpg all year. Now, my goal is 30 just on the SCii (with the engine on).

I feel I have done decent to above average with the vehicle- and others believe I have done the impossible. Regardless of my detailed tracking, fill ups, average speeds, driving techniques, and documentation of everything (photos), people secretly question or outright say I am full of crap.

Well, the GGP has helped me prove otherwise.

Leaving for the GGP, we finally got on the road around 1600. I filled up just before, and I saw 37.64 mpg. Driving there, we managed 45.89 mpg for the 350+ mile trip.

To the competition from our fill up in NY, we got 39.85 mpg.

And the competition...
The first hill is a monster. All the way, holding as efficiently as possible, to get to the track. It was terrible seeing the mileage when we finally made it to the top. I've tried to push it from memory, but it was teens. Teens.

I am not going to go over my technique on the track. We may be one team, but I used our basic techniques to get there, and you'll learn your own technique for the track next year :thumbup:

So how'd team UltArc/underscore_22 do?

49.42 MILES PER GALLON

This is corrected from the difference in tire diameter, the GGP number is 48+, topping my old record of 46+.

The rally...
Bob described it as being high way like- he may have meant just the speeds, but even that was a bit off. I feel terrible for any cars commuting down this road daily!

As sheepdog will attest, it was a brutal ride. Underbody tearing, slippery, road debris, and right when one caught momentum- STOP SIGN. But as bad as it was, somehow we managed 36.76 mpg, using the same Valero, pump, and fill style. Although "fuel economy would be taken into consideration," it was not. Although we would have actually tried on the rally if we knew this, it would not have changed what happened to the underbody. Approximately 60% through, the main support bar capable of holding 150 lbs per side, was taken out. An error on my part did even more damage to, almost paralyzing us on the final leg. Combined with our excitement from the FE portion blinding our care in research, we started to get very tired of this portion, and just wanted it to be over.

Our grand total for the event, was 228.888 miles with 5.35 gallons, coming to an event total of 42.78 mpg.

As we wait for the grand scores to see the ranking of the Mustang amongst the other vehicles, we are happy knowing we won our class, and beat many others in other classes. And now, the work for next year and 50+ begins!

pgfpro 04-13-2014 10:46 PM

Awesome results!!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

UltArc 04-19-2014 07:52 PM

Not as exciting as my last post, but figured I would post some recent projects.

So, I worry about criminals and threats to my home, so I rescued a Great Pyrenees. For several months I was searching to rescue a Caucasian Shepherd, but they are just too hard to come by. The only ones available are beyond my dog re/training abilities. Since I don't have 3k to spend on a pup, or enough time to train one and keep it in line through it's first year, we couldn't get my destined dog. If you are not familiar, this is a Caucasian Shepherd:
https://images.akc.org/breeds/caucas...hotos/lg_7.jpg
http://www.koinfo.org/Axel%20small.jpg
http://molosserdogs.com/gallery/albu...5/DSC01446.JPG

The GP breed is much more common, and we have given a young man (male, not really a man...) another chance.
http://www.alpacafarmgirl.com/wp-con...9/09/Daisy.jpg
A bit graphic, a GP a little battered after defending it's flock from a wolf: Stillwater County News

Both breeds are bipolar. Not in the sense we think of the term in relationship to humans, but they flip from one end to the other. In the home with the pack (adults, children, pets) they are docile and loving. They are just big puffy fluffs.

And then a stranger walks up to the house...and then you have a 130-200lb monster that only knows one task: stop the threat. Training is a big part of having a dog that can survive in civilization, but even if my boy knows to attack when I say a certain word, if I am uncomfortable, his flip gets switched, and although I can contain my mood/feelings- he makes it quite clear how he feels.

Even though he stays with us, or patrols the home when we are away, and is never in the yard alone, we made some nifty signs. PC cut into large strips, painted safety orange, then letters purchased from a craft store were placed down, and then black paint over. Three cable ties hold them in place.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-m..._175310401.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Y..._175329029.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-T..._175350580.jpg
This is from the street. With ones eyes, it is clear as day- the images don't really do it justice.

Now something actually related to cars...

I swapped the rear emblem on my Mustang to something more fitting:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-W..._173124513.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-N..._173039549.jpg

Won't help fuel economy, but my little pony with a rainbow behind it isn't me- and although my dedication to performance is closer to GT, this is what belongs :)

UltArc 06-04-2014 08:27 PM

Unfortunately some issues have been keeping me driving the Mustang.

Now my tanks are going by much faster :(

I built a rear panel, but found that it was way too short and could not be made efficiently. Here is my prep for my new, inspired by Jedi Sol, build.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-K..._185136418.jpg

Total cost is $137.19. I bought a lot of extra pieces because I am not solid on my mounting points yet.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4..._195140792.jpg

The bold pieces are the joints. Six on the main portion, four on the rear. Middle is 6x4, rear is 4x4. EMT tubing, 1/2 inch. The lighter rings on the base are the hose clamps that will keep the sheet to the frame. The outer rings refer to my known mounting points of the fully assembled pan to the vehicle itself. There will be more, these are my current known points.

Again, this was inspired by Jedi Sol and a few other threads on other forums. For reference on excellent diffuser builds, check this out: DIY Rear Diffuser : The Writeup - NASIOC