EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   2012 Yaris to get 62 MPG with 1.3 gas-not sold in US (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/2012-yaris-get-62-mpg-1-3-gas-16201.html)

Jim-Bob 02-23-2011 02:31 AM

2012 Yaris to get 62 MPG with 1.3 gas-not sold in US

Toyota has announced that it's most fuel efficient model will be the Yaris in 2012. It will come with a 1.3 liter start-stop engine and no hybrid tax. Sadly though, this inexpensive, amazingly efficient new car will NOT be sold in the US market. It is to be a Europe only delicacy like the Aygo. Sorry but I would prefer a start-stop Yaris to a Prius that costs twice as much and uses more gas. If anything it proves that a safe, reliable car need not be expensive to be efficient. If only Toyota would sell it here I would put myself on the waiting list right now.

Toyota: ’12 Yaris to offer highest-mpg model in brand’s lineup

Frank Lee 02-23-2011 02:38 AM

Oh james, where are you? RE: hybrid vs non hybrid er... I mean, getting car mfgs to change.

Odin 02-23-2011 04:36 AM

Ever since i saw top gear drive the 09 fiesta diesel off a military beach assault landing craft and drive through five feet of water successfully onto the beach i've wanted one but to no avail. The US just doesn't seem to like fuel efficiency

Daox 02-23-2011 08:54 AM

That 62 mpg has to be in the Japanese rating (our EPA) which always rates really high. There is no way that its actually getting that good of mileage. The aerodynamics would need to be almost as good as Basjoos car to come that close to his mileage. Also, they've always had a 1.3L option for overseas. There is a 1.3L overseas option for my 1997 Paseo vs the 1.5L I have in mine. I prefer the diesel personally which rates even higher.

jamesqf 02-23-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 221638)
Oh james, where are you? RE: hybrid vs non hybrid er... I mean, getting car mfgs to change.

Right here, betting that a hybrid Yaris could get about 80 mpg :-)

Frank Lee 02-23-2011 05:11 PM

12,500 miles per year/62 mpg= 202 gallons
12,500 miles per year/80 mpg= 156 gallons

For 46 gallons/year I'll take the simplicity, lack of battery packs, lighter weight, and lower cost, thank you.

Wait... since we are not speaking in general, but of our own circumstances, I drive more like 6000 miles/year... so I'll buy the extra 20 or so gallons instead. Since I'm drowning in a sea of idling V8 vehicles here, I don't thing my "extra" 20 gallons is all that wasteful...

Ryland 02-23-2011 09:13 PM

Japanese ratings call Prius world's most efficient car, 89.4 mpg (US)! — Autoblog Green

So the ~50mpg prius gets a MPG rating of 89mpg in Japan, just for a comparison, so I would guess that a Yaris like this would only get a USA EPA raiting of 45mpg or so, but that is still much better then pretty much any other non hybrid car that is on the market right now.

jamesqf 02-23-2011 10:34 PM

Humm... Since the car's only available in Europe, is that 62 mpg in US gallons, or Imperial? Which would translate to 49.5 mpg US...

busypaws 02-24-2011 01:49 AM

Just read an article over on CleanMPG, talked about new container ship and price to ship 2200lbs of material over the big pond. Answer $600.00. (I image wholesale, perfered vendor price). But anyway, has anyone researched a method of purchasing a Europe spec'd vehicle (without tax) with a smaller engine and shipping here. I.E. how long would it take for me to if I bought the 1.3L Yaris from Europe shipped here vs. the local 1.6 or 1.8L (I'm guessing) to break even with $3.00 gas price.

Eccomoder bulk purchase of Euro spec vehicles and ship to US. Sounds like a good community service.

Hubert Farnsworth 02-24-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busypaws (Post 221816)
Just read an article over on CleanMPG, talked about new container ship and price to ship 2200lbs of material over the big pond. Answer $600.00. (I image wholesale, perfered vendor price). But anyway, has anyone researched a method of purchasing a Europe spec'd vehicle (without tax) with a smaller engine and shipping here. I.E. how long would it take for me to if I bought the 1.3L Yaris from Europe shipped here vs. the local 1.6 or 1.8L (I'm guessing) to break even with $3.00 gas price.

Eccomoder bulk purchase of Euro spec vehicles and ship to US. Sounds like a good community service.

Good luck with this goal, despite the fact that they also sell the Yaris here, the EPA as well as the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) likely won't allow you to import the eurospec model as the emissons are different enough as well as the occupant safety requirements. It would be easier to import the 1.3L engine and perform a swap if the area you lived in did not monitor emissions that closely, and require that all engines remain basically stock. The us spec Yaris has a 1.5L engine.