EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   2013 Dodge Dart + Fiat 1.4t MultiAir (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/2013-dodge-dart-fiat-1-4t-multiair-21566.html)

cfg83 04-21-2012 09:21 PM

2013 Dodge Dart + Fiat 1.4t MultiAir

Hi -

What do you think of the new Dodge Dart? :

2013 Dodge Dart Photos and Info – News – Car and Driver

http://media.caranddriver.com/images...-s-520x318.jpg

Quote:

Three-Engine Portfolio

The Dart starts production in the second quarter of 2012, initially with two engines: the so-called “Tigershark” 2.0-liter naturally aspirated four-cylinder and a 160-hp, 1.4-liter turbocharged and intercooled four similar to the one found in the Fiat 500 Abarth. Both make 160 hp, but they have vastly different torque ratings; the 2.0 whips up just 145 lb-ft, while the 1.4 turbo will offer 184. A few months after launch, a 184-hp, 171 lb-ft 2.4-liter “Tigershark” four will come online. There’s no word yet on a hopped-up SRT4 model (or even a Swinger variant for that matter).

Both the 1.4- and the 2.4-liter powerplants employ MultiAir technology, although the latter features the slightly revised MultiAir 2 system. MultiAir 2 is said to offer more efficient exhaust-gas recirculation by more precisely controlling the start and end of the valve events and extending the opening on the intake cycle. Darts equipped with the 1.4-liter turbo will have just one intercooler, as opposed to the two tinier units found in the Fiat 500 Abarth.

I was hoping for a Fiat Grande Punto to make it to our shores, but the 1.4t MultiAir drivetrain is a nice consolation prize.

CarloSW2

hondaguy72 04-23-2012 01:43 AM

The car looks very nice in person. The top level trims get excellent seats and a very cool adaptive gauge cluster (screen).

Personally I would never buy one new. I wait to see what the issues are with any car for a few years prior to buying. Then I buy used.

Frank Lee 04-23-2012 10:18 AM

Looks like a new Neon. Glad to see them do something that doesn't look like a truck or SUV.

theycallmeebryan 04-23-2012 10:51 AM

I bet that car would do just fine with a turbocharged motor half the size. Just saying... Why does the car need 160hp and 184ftlb? A 800cc Twin or 1200cc Triple with a small turbo would do just fine.

SlideWRX 04-30-2012 09:16 PM

It is relatively heavy 'compact' car, 3000+lbs. Size wise, it is very similar to the avenger/200, so it's a 'big' compact car.

Technically, no it doesn't need 160 hp, but horsepower still sells, especially when fuel economy is similar. So to sell the 40 mpg car, the more hp the better.

NeilBlanchard 05-01-2012 03:25 PM

The highest mileage model will be the Dart Aero:

2013 Dodge Dart Aero: High-Mileage Version Of New Compact Coming Soon

Light weight suspension components and an active grill, among other things...

UltArc 05-01-2012 04:19 PM

I would never own one. But I have never had a good experience with a chrysler. Style wise, sometimes they turn out okay, but usually they fail in materials and their quality is just dreadful. And things won't get any better with Fiat/Maserati owning them. I mean, I have a goal to get a Maserati Quattroporte, but thats to have a car I can work on and spend garage time with, such as a classical mucle car to some people.

I don't know too much about it, other than seeing it at a few auto shows, but only the top end models look nice. Most of them look a bit goofy, andplain, raher junky. Although I must say, this is way better than the calibre. I mean, I have low expectations of chrysler, but thinking that the neon could be replaced with the avenger? They saw how the magnum did.

At least they a trying, though. If you are lookingfor smething like this, I would suggest the Ford Focus. If you go used, get a standard, but the new autos are supposed to be fixed from what was being weird before. Or, there are the classics, the Vitz, and the Civics and old mini guys.

They say it starts at 17. I saw a decent Focus for just under 14, 13 999. When I looked at nicely equipped ones, they were all in the 24ish range. So thinking of this vehicle, it's going to be up there. Hence why I am going Mustang over Focus. It's amazing how they price cars now a days.

I do love Alfa and Maserati, but if I want quality and economy, I wouldn't get either. Especially the new little step brother.

cfg83 05-01-2012 04:56 PM

Neil -

Ha ha, the Dart was Destined to have an Aero (Arrow) model. Lots of Cruze Eco style goodies :

Quote:

It will include:

- 160-hp 1.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine
- Six-speed manual transmission
- Lighter-weight forged aluminum suspension components (replacing steel parts)
- Electric grille shutters that close to smooth frontal air flow when engine cooling isn't needed
- Aerodynamic aids including fender lips
- Low-rolling-resistance tires

CarloSW2

deathtrain 05-01-2012 07:00 PM

from what I have read the car has a full belly pan and active grill block.

Fat Charlie 05-31-2012 12:13 PM

I just had to take an online class and one of the things it discussed was the Dodge Dart. Not much meat to it, but it did mention some of its more obvious FE features.

-AC is part of an "option package" with power locks/windows and RKE on the SE (base model). As if they'll actually build more than a couple without it, and those for EPA testing and "see, you can get one for only this much!"

-They say the Cd is .30. They mentioned tire spats, active grille shutters and "on some models," underbody panels and diffusers that cover 2/3 of the bottom.

-Electric power steering, helping FE by "up to 3%."

-Wheels and tires leaning towards FE (they didn't actually say LRR) unless you get 18" ones.