EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Unicorn Corral (https://ecomodder.com/forum/unicorn-corral.html)
-   -   2013 Grand Caravan 36mpg (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/2013-grand-caravan-36mpg-23963.html)

GRU 11-10-2012 11:40 PM

2013 Grand Caravan 36mpg

I see the dodge website and other comercials showing 36mpg hwy for the new Grand Caravan...First i don't think it's possible, 2nd i checked the fueleconomy website and it's showing 25mpg why so how are they advertising 36 mpg and getting away with it?

CigaR007 11-10-2012 11:52 PM

Could it be 36 MPG (imperial gallons) because of Canadian advertising ? When converted, it is 29.77 US MPG or 7.9L/100km. Transport Canada's test methods differ from the EPA's (more conservative figures).

MetroMPG 11-11-2012 07:18 AM

Mauricio's got it.

NRCan is showing miles per Imperial gallon, and we're still using ratings/test methodology that are roughly equivalent to the "old" (pre-2008) EPA values.

For 2008 onward, EPA significantly revised (down) its ratings for all vehicles to make them more "real world", and we did not follow suit. Before that, ratings between the US & Canada used to be pretty similar.

EG: You can see the size of the resulting ratings differences (city MPG, all converted to US gallons) of four sample vehicles in this thread: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ion-23772.html . Compare the EPA city vs. NRCAN city values on the charts.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-11-2012 08:41 PM

Strip it down as much as you can, get a full belly pan, and you can maybe get on low 30s in a Grand Caravan :D

Jokes apart, there are some versions of the Grand Caravan in overseas markets fitted with Diesel engines, easily breaking the 30MPG barrier.

oil pan 4 11-12-2012 02:04 AM

Over in japan they had diesel mini vans and they were fairly common.
They could hit high 20s in the MPG department no problem.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-12-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 339437)
Over in japan they had diesel mini vans and they were fairly common.

Unfortunately they're not so popular there anymore.

benbeardsall 10-01-2014 10:25 PM

personal experience. with a perfect drive and properly inflated tires just regular driving. No engine off coasting or neutral coasting I Have achieved 36mpg U.S. on the gauge… not sure how accurate the gauge is but I can at least assume I'm close. I usually average about 29-30mpg in my van.

Mustang Dave 10-09-2014 12:50 AM

Quote:

personal experience. with a perfect drive and properly inflated tires just regular driving. No engine off coasting or neutral coasting I Have achieved 36mpg U.S. on the gauge… not sure how accurate the gauge is but I can at least assume I'm close.
Not necessarily. Factory MPG gauges are generally a bit optimistic. When my Mustang's gauge indicated 34 MPG for the tank, actual was only 32.3 MPG.
Quote:

I usually average about 29-30mpg in my van.
Your fuel log indicates closer to 25-26 MPG. :confused:

Hersbird 10-12-2014 09:00 PM

according to the US EPA the 2013 Grand Caravan gets 35 MPG highway, old test, unadjusted. I really love finding that they publish the raw data on the old test. That is a lower speed, lighter acceleration test that shows what you could potentially get if you didn't drive like an average person, AKA moron.

Hersbird 01-08-2015 11:22 PM

We just bought a 2011 Town and country with the same drivetrain as the 2013 model. It has new Michelin Defender LRR tires and is broken in with 47,000 miles. It has a great fuel economy gauge that shows average, but with a bar underneath with instant up from 0-45MPG and then an arrow on the bar where the average is currently at. Easy to tell if you are under or over average with a quick glance. I haven't even aired up the tires or done much but drive across a frozen town but can tell this thing is going to get some good mileage (for a 7 passenger car that can move a full size sofa inside). Flat ground steady 35 mph it is reading well over 30mpg. We will have to get a tank thought it to tell how good the gauge is. It also is flex fuel so I will be looking to try that. The roof rack has fold sideways and down flat cross bars which I didn't know and a bit of a Kammback spoiler on the roof. Makes me want to block the grill, add rear wheel skirts, and skin the belly.