EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   2013 Ram truck lowering suspension (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/2013-ram-truck-lowering-suspension-24177.html)

mcrews 12-02-2012 04:38 PM

2013 Ram truck lowering suspension

New RAM 1500
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup trucks
link 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup trucks

The 2013 Ram 1500 leapfrogged competitors with an eight-speed automatic transmission and other improvements, including:
Best in class gas mileage (V6 and V8): 20% better with either engine
•Power increases: 305 hp V6 and 395 hp Hemi V8 [details]
•Less noise with best-in-class aerodynamics (cD = 0.363)
Air suspension for better mileage, ride control, loading, and clearance
•Stronger, stiffer frame with more high-strength steel
•New electronics with voice control, texting, software updates, and configurable 7” instrument screen
•New interiors with upgraded materials and features

lowers while driving for better aerodynamics!!!!!

Air suspensionThe 2013 Ram 1500 has an optional air suspension system which optimizes ride and aerodynamics, while adding load-leveling. Air pressure increases until the vehicle reaches normal ride height, leveling the truck and improving the loaded ride. It has five height settings that operate automatically or via console or key fob controls:
•Normal Ride Height (NRH): 8.7 inches of clearance (from the base of the door sill) is the default, load-leveled ride height
•Aero: Lowers the Ram by 1.1 inches, increasing gas mileage by up to 1%. It is activated by speed.
•Off-road 1 and 2: Lifts the vehicle 1.2 and 2 inches, respectively, to clear obstacles
•Park: Lowers the truck by 2 inches from NRH for easy entry/exit and cargo loading

The system uses the tanks shown in blue, above, as reservoirs; it does not use outside air.
The air suspension system adds up to 4 inches of lift span (KC in Wisconsin pointed out this included Park mode), for best-in-class step-in height of 21 inches, best-in-class ground clearance of 10.7 inches, best-in-class departure angle of 27.8°, and best-in-class breakover angle of 24.2°.
It is supported by four-corner air springs that provide a cushioned, premium ride and has different spring rates depending on the ride height. In Off-Road 2, the rate is firmer, while in Aero mode, the rate is softened. A separate button on the key fob gives the operator the ability to manually lower the truck, allowing for ease of passenger entry and bed loading.

Frank Lee 12-02-2012 07:13 PM

I wonder why they don't lower it further at cruise? No more aero benefit? No more suspension travel?

mcrews 12-02-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 343141)
I wonder why they don't lower it further at cruise? No more aero benefit? No more suspension travel?

great question.
I am sure there are the basic engineering/end user dumbness challenges.

ksa8907 12-02-2012 11:10 PM

When I saw the epa figures for the truck I just about crapped my pants cause its the same as my car.

slowmover 12-02-2012 11:23 PM

". . The Ram 1500 is the first truck to use an active grille shutter system (similar to the one on Dart), closing airflow through the grille when cooling is not needed. It increases gas mileage by 0.5%, cuts drag roughly 4%, and cuts warm-up time/defrost time. The computer closes the shutters when cooling is not needed.

Dave Sowers pointed out that the active shutters was normally either fully open or fully closed. When closed, air pressure quickly builds up in front of the slats, deflecting oncoming air over the truck, which has the lowest drag coefficient of any pickup on the market. At all times, there’s airflow over the radiator from other openings. The idea was to avoid drag from radiator capacity which is seldom needed, while still being able to cool the engine under any reasonable conditions.

ron 12-03-2012 12:26 AM

something to look into that air lowering at speed .I plan on replacing all 4 shocks come spring, I wonder if an aftermarket air shock mfg has anything like this yet and if so at what cost

Sven7 12-03-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron (Post 343201)
something to look into that air lowering at speed .I plan on replacing all 4 shocks come spring, I wonder if an aftermarket air shock mfg has anything like this yet and if so at what cost

Expensive.

mcrews 12-03-2012 04:32 PM

really surprised that they felt it was cost effective to put an airbag system in. But it does lower to help with getting in so it serves more than one purpose.

Fat Charlie 12-03-2012 04:51 PM

What I really like about it is that it activates the aero drop at 55 and doesn't deactivate it until you get down to 35. The off road settings are affected by speed, too- it drops from off road 2 down to off road 1 at 25 mph or so. I wasn't paying too much attention to that part.

The stop/start system comes with a beefier starter, alternator and battery. What would be really great is if they adapted smaller engines to use the multi-displacement setup that the 5.7 can have.

raylit20 12-06-2012 07:29 PM

Taking a look at the EPA listing for FE on these trucks, I'd say that Chrysler has really put some serious effort into making the trucks more efficient.

There is an optional RAM 1500 HFE (Starts at $28,000!) which includes the V6, 8 speed auto, active shutters, and the start stop system. It isn't mentioned on the ram site if this trim has the air suspension system.

The biggest problems I see are that the truck is only available with 2 wheel drive and a 6'4'' bed, and with the additional cost the break even point may never be reached by many truck buyers.

EPA listing 18 city, 25 highway - Compare Side-by-Side