EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   2014 Corolla predicted at 40 mpg (highway) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/2014-corolla-predicted-40-mpg-highway-26098.html)

LeanBurn 06-07-2013 09:49 AM

2014 Corolla predicted at 40 mpg (highway)

2014 Toyota Corolla Sheds Demure Image - Forbes

"Special flat covers on the underside of all 2014 Corollas help smooth airflow for better fuel efficiency. The Eco model adds more aerodynamic enhancements, including a small spoiler on the rear edge of the trunk, and special wheels with low-roll-resistance tires. Toyota expects the 2014 Corolla LE Eco to achieve 40 miles per gallon or more on the highway. Official mileage estimates have not been announced."

I see a sharper trailing side edge in the rear bumper, as well as sharper angles on the side mirrors. It still has front wheel spats but they are double wide from current but with strategic rectangle holes. Oddly enough the Eco LE version with the CVT has an added the rear spoiler. It also has LED low beams and a more efficient 1.8-liter engine with Valvematic technology. Cd is still the same at 0.28

2014 Toyota Corolla debuts with more power, interior space - Autoblog

gone-ot 06-07-2013 10:52 AM

Do NOT care for the "down frown" front end/grill design at all.

Would like to know more about that Eco engine however!

WesternStarSCR 06-07-2013 11:19 AM

Front end style

Reminds me of a Civic upper grill, and the soon to be replaced Mazda 3 pumpkin face lower grill. Ford has a lot of plain black going on with their lower grills as well... Not sure how this big plain black grill thing got started

PaleMelanesian 06-07-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WesternStarSCR (Post 375233)
Reminds me of a Civic upper grill, and the soon to be replaced Mazda 3 pumpkin face lower grill. Ford has a lot of plain black going on with their lower grills as well... Not sure how this big plain black grill thing got started

Audi. :rolleyes:

MetroMPG 06-07-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeanBurn (Post 375220)
Oddly enough the Eco LE version has an added rear spoiler.

Not odd, really. It's easy to find other "eco" or higher mileage sedans with drag-reducing decklid spoilers. (Typically short & sharp ones.)

EG: Honda Civic Hybrid and HF, Accord Hybrid, VW Jetta Hybrid, Cruze ECO, etc

WesternStarSCR 06-07-2013 11:40 AM

Wow, just google imaged Audi front end grills... At least there are some additional textures there, but holy smokes, some of them are like BBQ grills...

Back on topic... I thought it at least interesting that the red and purple Toyota's have grills that angle in, and the green and tan angle out.

LeanBurn 06-07-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 375237)
Not odd, really. It's easy to find other "eco" or higher mileage sedans with drag-reducing decklid spoilers. (Typically short & sharp ones.)

EG: Honda Civic Hybrid and HF, Accord Hybrid, VW Jetta Hybrid, Cruze ECO, etc

I don't care about the details about how the car looks very much....

....but speaking ecomodder-wise...It's too bad Toyota didn't have an Eco in the previous generation, I would get one for my car...its interesting to see that the Cd is still pretty much the same as the previous gen even with all the belly pans, spats and spoiler.

Xist 06-07-2013 01:54 PM

Yes, it sounds like the engine is the only significant improvement, the rest is for looks--except the Eco engine has more horsepower!

So does the Civic HX that I have been coveting, but still less than the EX.

MetroMPG 06-07-2013 01:57 PM

Transmissions also are a major change. First CVT available in the Corolla (in North America anyway, not sure about elsewhere), and the manual gets another gear.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 06-07-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 375274)
Transmissions also are a major change. First CVT available in the Corolla (in North America anyway, not sure about elsewhere), and the manual gets another gear.

Current Japanese Corolla only have CVT units for the automatic versions, and the Thai ones get it with the 2.0L engine. BTW my dad used to get 35MPG in highway with a 9th-gen Corolla fitted with the 1.8L running on Brazilian gasoline and the old 4-speed slushbox, so 40MPG with CVT, LRR tyres, aeromods and decent gasoline seems too under-expecting...