EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Events & Meet-ups (https://ecomodder.com/forum/events-meet-ups.html)
-   -   2020 Green Grand Prix at Watkins Glen, NY (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/2020-green-grand-prix-watkins-glen-ny-38029.html)

Vman455 12-06-2019 02:26 PM

2020 Green Grand Prix at Watkins Glen, NY

I got an email from Bob Gillespie back in September with a "Save the Date!" message, but now that's it's posted on their website I think it's official: The 2020 Green Grand Prix will take place Friday April 3, 2020 on the Watkins Glen International Raceway track.

This is a fun event with a mix of cars and drivers, from eco-nuts in plug-ins and hybrids to kids in clapped-out Civics and RX-7s. The weather could be anything; last year it was 32 degrees F and snowing, the year before it was 60 degrees and dry.

I'll be representing Parkland College Engineering again this year, and this year I'm planning on staying for the afternoon autocross. Who else is in?

Grant-53 12-06-2019 03:46 PM

Come to beautiful NY state and dress warm. The track is on the hilltop and the event opens the racing season first week of April. I have been a volunteer for the event for three years and recommend it highly.

brucepick 01-02-2020 04:53 PM

The registration form for the 2020 Green Grand Prix is now up on their web site!
Green Grand Prix - Registration Form

Please don’t delay in signing up; last year the available spots all were taken and the GGP closed registration when it was full.

Please be sure to put “Team Ecomodder” as the “School or Business Name”. That is where we identify outselves to Bob Gillespie and the Green Grand Prix as a team.

The entry fee has always stayed at $100 for us, as we are neither a school nor a business. I understand that student Ecomodders have had no entry fee in past years.

svt98t 01-06-2020 09:40 AM

Just registered.
Car will be all set to go. No EcoBoost swap yet, sorry. Had to throw another 4.6L in for now.
I need to make sure my fleet is set before I undertake that project, lol.

-ryan s.

jcp123 01-06-2020 05:44 PM

I won’t be up there yet but we are more or less set to move up to Rochester sometime this year. Maybe next year you’ll see my little Civic there. Never thought my first trip to the Glen would lack a chasing of lap times :D

Vman455 01-06-2020 07:44 PM

You'll still be chasing lap times, just a very specific one! I actually think that's harder--I only had 2 perfect laps last year (out of 33).

Grant-53 01-08-2020 11:02 AM

Rochester, NY is known as the Flower City when the lilacs bloom. Expect some lake effect snow. Other than draconian gun laws and the city public schools, Monroe county is a decent place to live. I hope to volunteer again this year.

svt98t 01-08-2020 11:55 AM

I received my confirmation email from Bob.

As it stands, there's no longer a V-8 class. :(

I'll now get lumped in with the modified V-6, which means I don't have a shot at the class win, but I'm definitely shooting for those mint lap times.

And smoke some tires in AutoX, lol.

-ryan s.

Vman455 01-09-2020 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant-53 (Post 614666)
Rochester, NY is known as the Flower City when the lilacs bloom. Expect some lake effect snow. Other than draconian gun laws and the city public schools, Monroe county is a decent place to live. I hope to volunteer again this year.

Flower City/Flour City, from its history as a milltown. I lived there for two years; the lilacs in Highland Park are quite beautiful!

https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-v...12-2006021.jpg

jcp123 01-15-2020 07:58 PM

Rochester is...a place to live. I’m not that excited about it, but having the Glen nearby is kinda nice. I’d like to chase fastest lap times, and the Green lap times, both. A 90s Civic is one of the rare cars which can legit be used to do either one.

Being a born and raised Californian, though...I’d rather have canyon roads.