EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   $4 A Gallon Gas Is Here! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/4-gallon-gas-here-1361.html)

bennelson 03-11-2008 04:47 PM

$4 A Gallon Gas Is Here!

http://web.mac.com/benhdvideoguy/iWe...Photo%2039.jpg
OK, maybe the headline is a BIT misleading.

$4 a gallon petro-diesel is here. I have been noticing that diesel has been about 75 cents a gallon more than regular unleaded for the last few weeks. Seems like diesel prices follow crude prices more than gasoline prices.

(PS - if you think that $3.999 is NOT $4 a gallon, buy exactly one gallon, pay with 4 one dollar bills and ask for your change...)

Good to know that white bread is still cheap.

SVOboy 03-11-2008 05:33 PM

Gotta love the kwikery!

Harpo 03-11-2008 05:40 PM

White Bread vs. Diesel

It's not my favorite, but I can go 20 miles in an hour on 6 pieces. Say we can average 18 slices per loaf, that's 180 miles for $6. Beats any diesel.

bennelson 03-11-2008 05:45 PM

If somebody can convert white bread into ethanol at a reasonable price, please give me a call.

I think it will be hard to beat the electro-chemical process of converting white bread to bicycle power though...

roflwaffle 03-11-2008 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harpo (Post 13720)
It's not my favorite, but I can go 20 miles in an hour on 6 pieces. Say we can average 18 slices per loaf, that's 180 miles for $6. Beats any diesel.

$6 takes this about 400 miles at about three times the speed. :thumbup:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/0...w1litre1-3.jpg

RH77 03-11-2008 08:23 PM

The hit on Transporters

This has to hit the transportation segment like the ton of brick's they're hauling (or the "ton of feathers" GM's greenwashing commercial equates).

This trend is going to have a ripple-effect in more than us gasoliners. Diesel carries just about every product you see around to in some part of its journey.

But why?

Is there less of it?

Do they know Diesel cars may be hanging-on by thread of interest that could spin into tightly woven rope?

RH77

H4MM3R 03-11-2008 08:36 PM

It is going to be even more expensive this summer.

roflwaffle 03-11-2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH77
But why?

Is there less of it?

The dollar's a droppin' and nearly half of the EU runs on diesel. Even shipping it across the Atlantic, they can pay more than we can. That's what socialized risk and privatized profit does for a country. The gubberment's inflating away the debt of itself and the private industries it bails out. :(

Lazarus 03-11-2008 09:23 PM

The dollar dropping like a rock because we just print money out of thin air and send it into circulation. 200 billion just a few days ago.

AndrewJ 03-11-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus (Post 13789)
The dollar dropping like a rock because we just print money out of thin air and send it into circulation. 200 billion just a few days ago.

Couple that with the fact that they (the federal government) is probably going to be buying about $200 billion of worthless mortgage-backed securities from near-insolvent US banks with crisp new US currency.

You think the money in your wallet will be worth any more when they get done buying all that worthless stock with it? (not counting all you Canadians) :thumbup:

Peakster 03-11-2008 10:40 PM

I just watched CBC NewsNet, a Canadian national news station. Apparently there's a refinery problem in Edmonton Alberta that's affecting much of Western Canada. The newscasters report with that and the rising price of oil, $1.40 a litre will be coming along in just a few weeks :eek:!

That's $5.32 for a US gallon. People from the United States visiting here are probably already peeing their pants at the current $4.33 a gallon.

igo 03-11-2008 11:25 PM

Around here

$3.299 regular
$4.099 diesel

RH77 03-12-2008 12:36 AM

So, is Canada looking for new members?

RH77 Enjoys Hockey, snow sports, and Environmental Policy. Will learn National Anthem (even the extra verses and in French). Contact if interested... :D

dremd 03-12-2008 07:23 AM

Another guess on Diesel price.

It is More Inelastic. RUG use has droped a tad, and Diesel use has not moved (as far as I know).

This all sucks 4 me since I'll be filling up with D2 (hopefully for the last time ever) sometimes next week. But hey, I only buy fuel about once a month now vs more than once a week a year ago.

But on a Side note, I think I MAY beat 70 mpg again this tank ( My SGII is off)

bennelson 03-12-2008 11:23 AM

I think diesel engines are a superior technology compared to gasoline engines.

Years back, diesel was always cheaper than gas. For about the last decade now, it is always more.

Makes me glad I don't have a diesel right now (purely because of the fuel cost) but a veggie-diesel would be fantastic!

No sulpher and no $4 a gallon! (yeah, tehcnically you still gotta track road taxes....)

Who 03-12-2008 11:31 AM

It's always worth remembering that diesel has roughly 20% more BTUs than gasoline for any given volume.

cfg83 03-12-2008 12:25 PM

Who -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Who (Post 13858)
It's always worth remembering that diesel has roughly 20% more BTUs than gasoline for any given volume.

Is there a calculator that adjusts the price/BTU/MPG in comparison to gasoline and visa-versa? Could that be a widget in Ecomodder?

CarloSW2

Lazarus 03-12-2008 03:45 PM

I can't find it but I though I read that it uses more engery to make a gallon of diesel then gasoline. I remember when I saw it it did not seem right because it come off first in the cracking process. Can anybody verify that?

H4MM3R 03-12-2008 04:52 PM

How high will gas and diesel prices go this year?

Gone4 03-12-2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus (Post 13902)
I can't find it but I though I read that it uses more engery to make a gallon of diesel then gasoline. I remember when I saw it it did not seem right because it come off first in the cracking process. Can anybody verify that?

I thought that in a given barrel of oil only so much can be made into diesel or gasoline and it was more efficient to try and make some of each.

Gas here (Southern New Hampshire is "here" while on spring break) has just gone up to 3.099 on average. Down further south in Rhode Island, I saw an average price of about 3.259 two days ago. It's definitely climbing. I just consider it more motivation to start modding projects and to train on my bicycle.

ankit 03-12-2008 06:57 PM

My uncle said that diesel more than $4.00 where he lives (Ohio) because of the snowstorm. Apparently his gas prices are way more than mine also (3.099 here :p). For those of you wondering why I was on the phone talking to my uncle about gas prices, well he owns gas stations, and so does my dad. (double :p:p)

cfg83 03-12-2008 07:33 PM

Lazarus -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus (Post 13902)

Wow, now I am really mixed up. I thought it was the other way around. I thought diesel was a "less processed" form of fuel (hence all the dirtiness). The less-processed aspect led me to believe that it was less energy intensive.

CarloSW2

DifferentPointofView 03-12-2008 10:03 PM

I think diesel has to be made hotter or with more compression or something (i'm not sure what exactly it is) in order to get it to burn the way it does. same thing with propane, butane, gasoline, etc. But I think diesel uses more energy because of something...

DifferentPointofView 03-12-2008 10:06 PM

Quote:

well he owns gas stations, and so does my dad.
Well send us some gas cards man!!! :p :D it's around $3.30 around here

Lazarus 03-12-2008 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 13933)
Lazarus -

Wow, now I am really mixed up. I thought it was the other way around. I thought diesel was a "less processed" form of fuel (hence all the dirtiness). The less-processed aspect led me to believe that it was less energy intensive.

CarloSW2

Retracing my steps. It not more energy it's more oil. Although they say it pollutes more. Here's some interesting reading.

Quote:

Even though diesels go farther on a gallon of fuel, diesel fuel is higher in carbon. So, per gallon, diesel engines emit more carbon dioxide, a major greenhouse gas. Also, it takes more oil to make a gallon of diesel than a gallon of gasoline, and refining diesel creates more air pollution
I have my doubts about that claim. Also here.

Quote:

Since Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards give credit to vehicles based on fuel economy rather than oil use, and a gallon of low-sulfur diesel fuel requires 25 percent more oil than a gallon of low-sulfur reformulated gasoline, putting more diesel vehicles on the road without also raising fuel economy standards could actually increase U.S. oil dependence. CAFE standards should, at a minimum, compare gasoline and diesel on an energy-equivalent basis.
If this needs to be broken out to a new thread fell free.

boxchain 03-13-2008 12:41 AM

$5 gas is in Gorda, CA. And nothing else apparently...
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/.../prices190.jpg

Peakster 03-13-2008 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxchain (Post 13982)
$5 gas is in Gorda, CA. And nothing else apparently...
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/.../prices190.jpg

Quote:

The station manager, Leo Flores, said the price reflected this tiny town’s remote location as well as its reliance on a diesel generator for all of its power. That generator uses 100 gallons a day, and the gas station helps foot the bill.
100 gallons a day? WTF!?

boxchain 03-13-2008 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakster (Post 13987)
100 gallons a day? WTF!?

Probably running at least a 25kW generator, the kind that go on a trailer. They're powering a whole gas station, coolers, pumps, lights, etc. Maybe even a 60kW.

Peakster 03-13-2008 01:48 AM

The question I have is why?

I mean it just doesn't sound like a lucrative location to have a business if that's the only source of power. Get a windmill or something if there's no access to the electrical grid. That's like spending $400+ a day in just a power bill.

DifferentPointofView 03-14-2008 01:41 AM

well in one day it went up to 3.40. tomorrow will probably be worse :(

PeteHalo 03-14-2008 07:40 AM

If it's any consolation to you guys, here in Finland gasoline costs about 1.45 euros per liter and that's about $8 per gallon.

basjoos 03-14-2008 09:11 AM

One of my wife's relatives recently bought a Ford F-450 that gets 9mpg at best. I told them that with today's diesel prices it's like throwing a dollar bill out of the window for each two and a half miles that they drive down the road.

DifferentPointofView 03-14-2008 09:16 AM

diesel is now 4.30 here gas 3.49

boxchain 03-14-2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakster (Post 13990)
The question I have is why?

I mean it just doesn't sound like a lucrative location to have a business if that's the only source of power. Get a windmill or something if there's no access to the electrical grid. That's like spending $400+ a day in just a power bill.

My guesses:
1) It's much cheaper to buy a generator than a windmill or solar, short term anyway. And most businesses like the short term.
2) This decision was probably made when gas was much cheaper
3) They have a more direct link to the gas supply, so they get a better price. They may even be improving their price discount by using a higher volume.

NoCO2 03-14-2008 11:29 AM

wow...makes me think I have cheap gas prices...

$3.13/G Regular
$3.99/G Diesel

All I can say is...if my parents don't let me get a motorcycle this summer, I'm going to start making them drive me around or just tell them to bug off because I can't afford the gas for my Camry...just the other day it cost me $50 to fill up...Less then a year ago I could fill up for just over $35...ridiculous!

boxchain 03-14-2008 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteHalo (Post 14185)
If it's any consolation to you guys, here in Finland gasoline costs about 1.45 euros per liter and that's about $8 per gallon.

I paid 1.20 euros/L in Germany in 2004, which at the time worked out to $6/gal. I'm sure a lot of that is tax...I've read it's about 60%. In the US, our federal gas tax is 18c/gal, and states add up to 33c/gal. So most of our gas money is going to the corporate profits and doesn't benefit us.

Personally, I would like to see a large gas tax funding public transportation like you have in Europe

Peakster 03-14-2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoCO2 (Post 14208)
...just the other day it cost me $50 to fill up...Less then a year ago I could fill up for just over $35...ridiculous!

My first job was working as a fuel attendant at a gas station in 2002-03. I remember Geo Metros on road trips stopping and filling for $13-$16! Try $40+ these days.

In fall of 2002, I drove a 1980 Chrysler Cordoba with a 5.2L V8. My first fill was $5 after driving 31 miles (worked out to be 16.5 MPG(US)) and I thought that was expensive. Guess what?? My last fill of the miserly Geo Metro worked out to be 38.9 miles travelled for that same $5 in fuel! Less than 8 miles extra per $ spent on fuel!

H4MM3R 03-14-2008 05:01 PM

$3.45/G Regular
$4.20/G Diesel

cfg83 03-14-2008 05:10 PM

$3.82 US for 89 Octane in SoCal today (a higher priced station that I went to for convenience)

tasdrouille 03-20-2008 01:45 PM

I just filled the TDI with the highest price I ever paid for diesel. Current prices here are:

Diesel: $5.14/G
Gas: $4.4/G