EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   40 PSI and two blown tires in one week! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/40-psi-two-blown-tires-one-week-23017.html)

Xist 08-22-2012 12:57 AM

40 PSI and two blown tires in one week!

Also, someone keyed my car in between.

My tires are actually rated 36 PSI. I have only driven four thousand miles since purchasing the car and I increased the pressure to forty fairly recently. According to the second tire guy, the tires went out from dry rot, but there did seem to be some uneven wear, so I brought them down to thirty-six.

The first tire went out a few miles from my parents' house. I figure it would have gone out faster, but I try to maintain 55 MPH on level ground. The speed limit is 65 in many places, with two lanes.

The car sat in my parents' driveway, tempting miscreants, until I went to check the tire pressure before coming back down, when the valve stem blew.

Apparently, since I have a full-sized spare the first tire place just mounted the new tire and put it in the trunk.

The spare was at 12 PSI.

Maybe any other tire place would have put my second new tire in the trunk, but Wal-Mart was the only place open. They let me do it.

Crazy me, when I have dry-rotted tires blowing, I want new tires on the road!

Miller88 08-22-2012 09:43 AM

If the tires were dryrotted in the least bit, there is your answer. Dry rotted tires scare me and even if they have brand new tread, I won't drive on a dryrotted tire.

UFO 08-22-2012 11:19 AM

I had tires on my truck rated for 44psi, inflated to only 40psi, and these 12 year old tire treads started to separate on me. Yes, you cannot operate OLD tires, they will fail regardless of inflation pressure.

Christ 08-22-2012 02:07 PM

Ask Frank Lee, myself, or many, many other people about using old tires. We've generally had exactly the opposite experience.

And for as many times as someone can say they've had bad experiences with old tires, there are equally bad experiences with new ones. The rubber isn't what holds a tire together, it's just what holds the air inside it.

euromodder 08-22-2012 02:48 PM

If an underinflated tyre has stood still for long, you can / will get structural damage to the tyre carcass.

Frank Lee 08-22-2012 02:48 PM

I like to extract the last possible mile outta tires. What good eco-minded person wouldn't? I don't consider blowouts and having to change tires that big an inconvenience- it takes only minutes. When I run "iffy" tires I make sure to have a good spare and tools on board. Even so, blowouts/flats are pretty rare; it's not like a daily occurance or anything.

The only exception I make is for the front of motorcycles (iffy rear tires OK).

Weather Spotter 08-22-2012 03:48 PM

Frank:

You a good for a laugh some days, and today is one day where I needed one.

Thanks

It only makes sense to wear out all you can safely on tires, they are not very recyclable and they cost a lot. I was planning on running my last set into the pavement but a good deal came up (~30% off or less then $100 per tire) and was from family so I took it and got new LRR tires.

Frank Lee 08-22-2012 03:50 PM

Except I was serious this time!

user removed 08-22-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 323164)
I like to extract the last possible mile outta tires. What good eco-minded person wouldn't? I don't consider blowouts and having to change tires that big an inconvenience- it takes only minutes. When I run "iffy" tires I make sure to have a good spare and tools on board. Even so, blowouts/flats are pretty rare; it's not like a daily occurance or anything.

The only exception I make is for the front of motorcycles (iffy rear tires OK).

I think Frank once had a blowout in his trunk!
:D
regards
Mech

Weather Spotter 08-22-2012 04:04 PM

You were, but it was still worth a laugh, "Even so, blowouts/flats are pretty rare; it's not like a daily occurance or anything." was a good line .