EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   43 mpg on Ford Ranger (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/43-mpg-ford-ranger-14069.html)

cons 08-01-2010 11:28 PM

43 mpg on Ford Ranger

Been slowly watching the mpg increase this summer as I add mods. I recently added mooncaps and folded in the passenger side mirror and got 43 mpg after a couple weeks of commuting 15 miles to work, mostly on highway after 4 stop signs.

Other mods: partial belly pan, partial grill block, aerocap, rear wheel skirts, front gap arch filler.

Next up, working on a full boat tail to be attached on a hinge and easily removable, in addition to a full belly pan and better rear wheel skirts. And engine block heater.
After these, I think I might be able to consistently get 50 mpg on the hwy. Pretty wild for a truck. I remember initially hoping to get 40. Now, if I don't get 40mpg I'm disappointed!
Pics:
Picasa Web Albums - Conor - Ecomodding

gascort 08-01-2010 11:59 PM

Very nice work on the truck!!!! Love the photos in your album and look forward to seeing the tail on it as well as the little TDI.

Frank Lee 08-02-2010 12:31 AM

Good job! :thumbup:

A fuel log would be most helpful though.

Daox 08-02-2010 08:58 AM

Very impressive mileage. FINALLY someone who did a bellypan on their truck! I take it you use P&G to get that high?

Laurentiu 08-02-2010 09:24 AM

Is it fitted with the Duratec engine (2.3l) ?

Daox 08-02-2010 09:27 AM

Yeah, and manual trans. You can click the car under his name on the left to see those details.

RobertSmalls 08-02-2010 09:43 AM

This has to be the best-looking Ford Ranger I've ever seen:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Aeg1fot2YBU/TF...0/IMG_4534.JPG

Have you done any coastdown testing?

cons 08-02-2010 10:56 PM

Wow, it's great to get such a positive reaction here! None of my coworkers care. They drive huge trucks and I try to sell them streamlining but to no avail.

Got some new pics up on picasa on Matt's kammback & wheel skirts.

Thanks Robert, I think most people think it's a bit odd. I'm also thinking about putting black coroplast over the cap with windows in key places. I haven't done coast downs yet, waiting to finish the boat tail first and better rear wheel skirts. Finding the right road is going to be tough too. Summer in Jxn is tons of cars unless you go on dirt roads. I don't do P&G, I take a mile to get up to 60mph, then hold it consistent with plenty of room to coast if I see somebody is braking ahead. Never hit the brakes. Roll stop signs, take corners fast, shift low, and steady foot. I had a car for 3 years that was always on the verge of dying, so I learned to drive that thing as easy as possible, to the detriment of passengers. Now I'm the biggest backseat driver too, constantly saying "engine braking!" when people let their foot off the gas too much without need.

Frank, I'll work on transferring my fuel log onto the site here. I just found that yesterday.

Doax, I just noticed you live in Germantown, I grew up in Mequon! Anyhoo, the belly pan only covers the first third. The next two thirds will be tough. It's such a jumbled mess under there and I don't want to create a wind scoop. I tried just doing the back third before and that happened. I'm not going to have the plastic for that til September. The exhaust system also hangs low.

Frank Lee 08-02-2010 11:48 PM

I feel your pain. I too had many long distance 4x4 V8 commuters in my dept.. I carefully (not condescendingly) brought up the option of getting eco commuter cars, did the math, and proved that even with the addition of another vehicle it would pay for itself quickly then be all money in the bank after that. No dice. Egomania wins. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. :rolleyes:

VegasDude 08-03-2010 03:19 AM

whoa

:eek: 43 from a pickup!

I've seen 55-56 MPG at just 35 MPH in my car, but at 55 mph in 100F weather I can only hit 40 MPG on a good day. I'd gladly trade in some of that city mileage for a few more MPG on the freeway. I'll have to make it up with aero-mods.

The first tank I hypermiled I got 35.5 MPG and I was ecstatic. Now, if I can't get 50 mpg to work and back I'll be upset. When the cold weather comes I'll be a gas grinch.