EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   50 MPG club - FINALLY! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/50-mpg-club-finally-18943.html)

Geo Metropolis 09-25-2011 07:50 PM

50 MPG club - FINALLY!

10 months ago I bought a 96 Geo Metro LSI on Craigslist for $1100. almost immediately I discovered the ecomodder site and set a personal goal:

*to make the 50 MPG club*

I've been modding like crazy and learning to be a hypermiler and today I finally did it!:thumbup: I set a tank range record over 400 miles and I scored 50.28 MPGs!

I've done how-to posts on all my mods and you can read about them in my build thread but here is the master list that got me there:
  • Full Lower Grill Block
  • Smooth wheel covers
  • Rear Fender Skirts
  • Deleted Passenger Mirror
  • Added Kill Switch
  • Added Scangauge II
  • Partial/Front Bellypan
  • Flush mounted Front Licence Plate
  • Added Partial Kammback with Window
  • Used Sign Vinyl to smooth over all Aeromod Transitions
  • Beaded Seat Cover
  • Added Front Tire Splatts (They are still a packing tape encased cardboard prototype)
  • Deleted Wiper Arms
  • Added Full Belly Pan

Geo Metropolis 09-25-2011 08:04 PM

LOL good thing i made it, I feel like I was almost out of possible aeromods.
I still plan on doing a front valence to send more air over and around the car since the current setup pressurizes a lot of air under the car. Short of sealing gaps and a full boat tail, I'm not sure there's much more I can do.

My guess is to see continued improvement I'll need to get more into mechanical which is a reach for me. What would you guys suggest I do next?

I can't do an alternator delete because I won't ever have a place to plug this thing in .
Anyone know where I can get an xfi camshaft? That would be cool I don't even know where to start.
Maybe adjust the timing? Where do I start with that?
I could do a hot air intake and seal the radiator to my grill block gap.

tru 09-26-2011 09:58 AM

congratulations, what kind of commute were you on to get those numbers?

flat land, hills, heavy traffic, no traffic, highway, country, city, speeds, etc?

Daox 09-26-2011 11:01 AM

Congrats!

Geo Metropolis 09-29-2011 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tru (Post 263015)
congratulations, what kind of commute were you on to get those numbers?

flat land, hills, heavy traffic, no traffic, highway, country, city, speeds, etc?

pretty much my normal commute which is about half city, half highway in moderate traffic. Uphill to work, downhill to home. I did take a trip up the 5 to oceanside and back which is maybe 80 miles of just highway but that's not really out of the ordinary

Geo Metropolis 10-14-2011 10:55 AM

I feel like I have to continue the celebration because yesterday I got a new best tank at 51.8 MPG and now my 3 tank average is 49.95. Now, if only I could make the elusive 90 day average...

ecomodded 10-14-2011 11:14 AM

Congratulations
A momentous moment for sure!
Great idea making those front tire splats.

Good job!

Geo Metropolis 10-14-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecomodded (Post 265522)
Congratulations
A momentous moment for sure!
Great idea making those front tire splats.

Good job!

Thanks! Yeah, they are still super ghetto with packing tape and cardboard, I plan on making a more permanent and streamlined version soon, with aluminum, plastic, and sign vinyl. I do think they are a good option that avoids the complications of full front skirts

Fat Charlie 10-14-2011 07:39 PM

You have my admiration and congratulations!

And envy. I forgot to mention that. I'll keep my hills, winter and need for an AWD wagon, but... wow.

sc2dave 11-01-2011 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo Metropolis (Post 262950)
Anyone know where I can get an xfi camshaft?

Try Delta Camshaft