EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   >50 mpg w/ 3/4-ton pickup (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/50-mpg-w-3-4-ton-pickup-21766.html)

Diesel_Dave 05-04-2012 12:39 PM

>50 mpg w/ 3/4-ton pickup

I achieved a milestone today: >50 mpg in my 3/4-ton diesel truck over my 24 mile commute. I got an average of 50.2 mpg on the overhead this morning. Note: I know the overhead reads 10-15% better than reality, but I guess it's a pschological thing to break the 50 mark.

A year ago I never thought this would have been possible. A year ago I was excited when I got over 30 mpg for the first time. The biggest thing that's helped me is the daily fuel log that I've kept for the last year. That's improved my driving techniques (timing lights, P&G, DWB, even some EOC P&G) as well as route planning. I've also done a grille block, a bed cover, a block heater, an oil pan heater, an an engine blanket. The biggest change recently which put me over the top was switching to some 5W-30 synthetic oil, which has bought me another ~5-10%. In addition to that it's been nice to have the temperatures come up, which have helped a lot (about 1% for every 2 deg F).

One thing that helped on this specific run was that I'd gotten home late last night (after 9) and plugged it in right when I got home. Overnight low was only about 65 F, so with my engine blankets on my engine was nice and warm this morning. Here are the rest of the details:

Distance: 23.8 miles (SSE direction)
Temperature: 66 deg F
Wind: Out of the south at 2 mph with gusts up to 7 mph
Barometer: 29.9 in Hg
Relative Humidity: 96%
Conditions: Overcast

3-Wheeler 05-04-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave (Post 305146)
Here are the rest of the details:

Distance: 23.8 miles (SSE direction)
Temperature: 66 deg F
Wind: Out of the south at 2 mph with gusts up to 7 mph
Barometer: 29.9 in Hg
Relative Humidity: 96%
Conditions: Overcast

Dave,

Those MPG's are very impressive!

One thing that should be pointed out is that your actual barometric pressure is not really 29.9.

I see that your location is in Indiana, and thus you are not close to Death Valley, or either of our oceans.

Because of this, your elevation must be higher than sea level, and your actual baro is probably closer to let's say 28.9 or so, if your elevation is close to 1000 feet.

What they report on TV is the "corrected" baro based on subtracting out the effect of elevation on the "actual" baro.

So your actual air density during your MPG run is less than what the TV broadcasts.

It's usually found by taking the broadcast baro and subtracting one inch Hg for every 1000 feet elevation.

Someone located in Denver would actually be at:

29.9 - 5.0 = 24.9 inHg baro

Jim.

Diesel_Dave 05-04-2012 01:50 PM

Yes, when I calculate air density I correct for elevation. The weather station that I use is supposed to be at 880 ft, so by my calculation I got a density of 1.16 kg/m3.

NachtRitter 05-04-2012 01:58 PM

VERY impressive! Heck, anything over 20mpg is impressive for a 3/4 ton!! And this is (in part) due to the change in oil?

Diesel_Dave 05-04-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NachtRitter (Post 305176)
VERY impressive! Heck, anything over 20mpg is impressive for a 3/4 ton!! And this is (in part) due to the change in oil?

That's what put me over the edge. Best I ever did before the oil change was 45.5 mpg.

MetroMPG 05-04-2012 02:35 PM

Congrats, Dave!

Even if it's not exactly accurate, I COMPLETELY understand the psychological motivation/reward from getting significant round numbers on the vehicle display! ( http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...nda-21484.html )

Stan 05-04-2012 03:42 PM

Holy cow that's impressive! Makes me wonder what's possible with my '00 Excursion 7.3 PSD?

Iexpedite 05-04-2012 05:03 PM

Congratulations sir, that's is an impressive number.

LeanBurn 05-04-2012 05:20 PM

50mpgUS ...in that truck is...well left me...without speech.

After seeing this accomplishment with one of the heaviest pickups, with the biggest engines you can buy, who needs a sub 2L car, or even a Prius for that matter? It beats most of the VW TDI's and other tiny cars on this forum handily. It makes my 1.8L's consumption look laughable. This accomplishment defies any record I have ever seen or imagined.

Weather Spotter 05-04-2012 06:14 PM

if you can get 50 MPG in a truck how can I take my boat tailed car from 50 to 75 mpg?